TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › advice needed asap..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

advice needed asap..

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Lizzie i think may deliver tonight, I think she may have mastitis which she will be at the vets tomorrow with but if she has them tonight what do i do? Do i still take her along with the kittens to the vets? its been snowing on and off and very cold outside at the moment. do i allow them to nurse? the only sign on her nipple is a tiny bit larger then the others and very very thick milk and quite a bit of it.
Thanks in advance, been through cat pregnancys more then i care to have, but never had one with maybe mastitis.
post #2 of 12
Take her today since she is still pregnant and ask for their advice. Kittens can die suckling from a breast with mastitis. At the very least call your vet and ask for their advice.
post #3 of 12
I would not let the Kittens nurse on her. The Mastis can Poison the Kittens.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
If i could take her now i would, The kids are all in bed the emergancy vets is 45 mins by bus and its 10.30 pm here. If i had noticed her nipple before i would have taken her this morning when i had to take gizmo to the emergancy vet office for his uri.
All i can hope is that she dosnt deliver tonight , but i will phone the vet for their opuion anyway thanks.
post #5 of 12
I am hoping that it isnt mastitis. It seems unusual that she would develop mastitis before the kittens are born... but does she seem to have a fever? Is that nipple inflamed? Will she let you touch it without much effort?

If there is an infected teat, it is usually swollen, red, warm to the touch and painful.

I had a cat 3 years ago and she was very obviously sick - lethargic, no appetite, hesitant to go in the box with her kittens, and her ears were burning hot with fever.

If it is mastisis, I hope she is fine until you can get her to the vet tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK and here's to a stress-free wait.
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
I am hoping that it isnt mastitis. It seems unusual that she would develop mastitis before the kittens are born... but does she seem to have a fever? Is that nipple inflamed? Will she let you touch it without much effort?

If there is an infected teat, it is usually swollen, red, warm to the touch and painful.

I had a cat 3 years ago and she was very obviously sick - lethargic, no appetite, hesitant to go in the box with her kittens, and her ears were burning hot with fever.

If it is mastisis, I hope she is fine until you can get her to the vet tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK and here's to a stress-free wait.
Thats what im not sure on but getting it checked as i dont know what else would cause the milk to go like that? she dosnt seem to have a fever at all eating, drinking fine, using the litter tray ok, lets me touch it without any fuss she rolls over as though she is getting belly rubs, so dosnt bother her atall even when i squesed it to check it and i'v been looking a few times since i noticed it, its not red just a lot more rounder then the others are and a very very thick dry white stuff comes out of it in clumps.
I did ring the vets and they said if the kittens are born tonight then i'm to try and bandage the top nipple that seems to have the problem and get her to the vet in the morning with the kittens with a hot water bottle under the blankets and by car to minmise the coldness.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
ok we went to the vets today (she didnt deliver last night) Its a blocked milk duct, I have to put a warm compress on it 3 times a day for about 5 mins or so each time and keep an eye on it as it can turn in to mastitis very quickly.
They said when she delivers i'm to not allow the kittens nurse on that nipple so i have to try and keep a bandage on her when the time comes (should be fun trying that) they also said she looks to deliver at any point.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
ok good news, Her nipple has unblocked its flowing normal milk like the others now (woohoo) looks completly normal again. so the warm compresses have been working. I will speak to the vet to see if i still have to keep a bandage on it once the kittens are born
but at least it dosnt look like it will turn into mastitis. milk has been flowing for about 4 days now, no other signs to say labour is near, but i was looking through my pregnancy book that i have kept for all the other cats that have been pregnant and 2 of them there milk was flowing 7-10 days before delivery!! lol so could still be a while yet.
post #9 of 12
im glad to hear shes doing better. how much longer she have to take her meds?
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman_2669 View Post
im glad to hear shes doing better. how much longer she have to take her meds?
Lizzie isnt on any meds, Foxy is for a URI... Foxy Finishs her meds on wednesday and has to go back for a check up.
Lizzie is due anyday now.
post #11 of 12
oops got the cats mixed up im still glad shes doing better.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
haha, thank you x
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › advice needed asap..