Crying carrying a toy

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie does this all the time. She'll be upstairs and starts crying, then she brings a toy down in her mouth and drops it. I tell her what a good girl she is because i always thought it was her bringing me a gift.

Now Jacks started doing the same. I'm wonderingf if he's copying her because Jack follows Rosie everywhere and is always snuggling with her?.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My RB baby Mort used to do that. She make a funny cry while bringing me her special toys. She would drop them for me where ever I was. I used to praise her, and she would bring me more gifts. One day I had a pile of her gifts by me!!!!! I miss her so much! I still have her little toys by her picture on the dresser.

Maybe Jack is trying to copy her!!! How cute!!!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zara walks around with her favorite toy in her mouth and making a sad sounding mewing noise. She sometimes brings it to me but not always. She has never had a litter.

Coco does the same thing except she always drops the toy at my feet. With her I know she wants me to play with her.

I haven't a clue why Zara does it.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I believe he is. Lucy does little things that Much does (like leaning her hip into me and just standing there) but she has also started playing with toys like Carly (kind of a weird leap over, on it, around it). Since he is still growing up and adores Rosie, I'm sure he's copying her every move.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Chip & Pixel both do this, too. Pixel usually wants me to throw the toy, but w/a kitten in the house, she gets beaten to it when i do.
Chip just seems to want acknowledgement. y'all know those stuffed cats in bed w/Firefox when she was teeny? that's what he brings me! [he's a frustrated mama cat, i guess!
]

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My new baby, Abby does this w/her favorite mousie, she was spayed about 1 month ago and has never had kittens!! I thought maybe she was just playing and letting me know that she made the catch!!
I always tell her that she is a very good girl!!

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilly carried toys around right after we adopted her (she had just had her litter removed from her) and I always felt like she was missing her kittens. The sound she made would always break my heart it sounded so sad.

Now Forrest has two "beanie baby" type stuffed toys he carries, a kitten and a piglet. He always makes a strange "talking" type sound when he carries them around - especially at night. However, he doesn't sound sad like Lilly did. He's always so happy when he gives us one.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bella does this all the time (usually at midnight or when the rest of the house is dark and we're watching TV in another room). She picks up the toy, cries and then gives it a good whack

Then she'll walk to another part of the room all the while crying and dropping the toy, then giving it a whack.

No idea what it means, but it sure is funny (when I'm not trying to sleep).

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I'm wonderingf if he's copying her because Jack follows Rosie everywhere and is always snuggling with her?.
Yes Susan, I believe that is the answer. Alley always follows Persi around and copies everything Persi does, including walking around on the counters.
We had our daughter's kitten here for two months and she absolutely adored Persi and followed him around everywhere, including the litterbox.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it`s just part of `cat behaviour`. If Kitty goes out and finds something interesting he`ll do the same when he brings it in. Maisie does it too with toys usually at 3am
but they don`t spend any time together so I think it`s just instinct.
Maybe Rosie will teach Jack how to break into the treats jar?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tabitha has just recently started doing this, mainly since the kittens are running around... she brings them "gifts" constantly and talks to them while doing so.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree.
I think he's copying - or learning from - Rosie. Most of our ferals were raised by their mums, and none of them talked AT ALL (which we were good with!) until Flowerbelle came into the house. She's deaf and probably can't hear herself - and she makes a huge range of meows and trills and I don't even know how to describe them all. It took some time - but the other kitties DEFINITELY learned that she often got attention when she meowed, and so they eventually started in! You could tell they weren't used to using their voices
, but a couple years into it, and they've got it.

Also, Flowerbelle waves her paw around to get our attention. She'll also walk up to us and put her paw on us - in our face or on our arm or something. Spooky started doing this a couple months ago - walking up to us and putting her paw on our arm when she wants pets. It's really sweet - but if she hadn't seen Flowerbelle doing it, I don't think she would have started. ?????

I think that's SO cute!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Maybe Rosie will teach Jack how to break into the treats jar?
I think he taught her that trick!
I used to keep them in the plastic container that they came in, but Jack mastered the art of biting the corner so the lid came off, then Rosie started knocking them on the floor because she knew when that happend the lid would come off and the treats went everywhere.

I solved the problem though and bought a proper treat jar!

Aren't our kitts so cute and clever though. I've enjoyed reading everyones posts

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Niko does that when she has "killed" a toy. I think she just wants to show me and have her hunting skills praised, because once I do, she stops. Years ago when I had an outdoor cat, she would do the same thing with her kills.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

We had our daughter's kitten here for two months and she absolutely adored Persi and followed him around everywhere, including the litterbox.
Kittens are so cute that way. Like a little kid following an older brother around.
I hope he taught her some good behavior!
Originally Posted by LDG

Most of our ferals were raised by their mums, and none of them talked AT ALL (which we were good with!) until Flowerbelle came into the house. She's deaf and probably can't hear herself - and she makes a huge range of meows and trills and I don't even know how to describe them all. It took some time - but the other kitties DEFINITELY learned that she often got attention when she meowed, and so they eventually started in!
My Sho, defiantly not a feral, used not to meow. Tomas who meows all the time has encouraged Sho to make more noise now. Sho's meow is very weak and pathetic sounding. He also taught Sho to be excessively nagging while begging...

Surely this is were the term "copy cat" came from.

Though in nature, copying the behavior of others - of the majority can mean survival. Even we do it.

I've never had a cat walk around with a toy or dead rodent/bird and cry.
When I was younger all of our cats would "surprise" us, dead mouse on the door step, feathers all over the dinning room, live gopher in the bathtub...
Sho and Tomas do not know how to hunt and being boys they don't go around crying like a mother cat either.

Tomas will brrr when he has a toy and is trying to get my attention.

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend's kitty does that too but only at night and only with one specific squishy ball.

Silly Girl...

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Claire does that with her "mousey" a ratty, old catnip filled mouse that's been around longer than her. She'll carry it from room to room crying at least once a day, then drop it at my feet. She also brings "mousey" into bed and leaves it on the bathmat outside the shower for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie's toy that she carries has been the same one for about 4 years. It's a catnip sack with a bell on it but i havent the heart to throw it out, so it'll stay here forever