TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone else watching, "I can make you thin."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else watching, "I can make you thin."

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm just wondering if anyone else watched this show last week & this week. Also, did you try the suggestions? I did and frankly I think that his points last week were right on for my daytime eating. Last night the emotional eating stuff was right on for me too. Since it doesn't cost money and I haven't been dieting anyway, why not just try his suggestions. I'm just curious to see what others have to say about the show.
post #2 of 20
what channel? I've never heard of it...
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck4582 View Post
what channel? I've never heard of it...
It's on TLC... I think they're also repeating throughout each week...

I've been watching... and I'm guilty of eating in front of the TV/computer/etc.

There's no diet books, no food lists, etc... I taped the first episode, and only sat down to watch it yesterday, so I'm a little behind, but yes, he's dead-on.

I'm going to start following his rules of eating... It makes sense... it really does... more than any of those diets out there...

Amanda
post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy View Post
There's no diet books, no food lists, etc... I taped the first episode, and only sat down to watch it yesterday, so I'm a little behind, but yes, he's dead-on.

I'm going to start following his rules of eating... It makes sense... it really does... more than any of those diets out there...

Amanda
Yep, the fact that it is fairly easy & not expensive is what make sense. I totally think he's right about how naturally thin people eat what they want. I know women at work who are thin, they eat chocolate. It's just that they eat 1 piece, not 12. I did really well last week about not eating while doing other things, but I already am struggling with that. The thing about it that is hard, is changing habits like eating in front of the T.V. It is never easy to change life long behvioral patterns, but he gives practicle realistic advice.
post #5 of 20
I saw it last week and saw most of this weeks episode. I like his approach. I've always believed that the primary reason people get fat is simply because they eat too much and that is basically is what he (I've forgotten his name) says. All this nonsense about low this and high that is confusing two separate and unrelated issues, weight control and nutrition. The low/high folks are talking nutrition, not weight control. The problem is the stigma people feel when told they eat too much. They take it like it's an accusation or condemnation when it isn't. There are cultural and evolutionary reasons why some people eat too much. They just need to understand this and learn to control it.

Paul McKenna? Is that his name?
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy View Post
It's on TLC... I think they're also repeating throughout each week...

I've been watching... and I'm guilty of eating in front of the TV/computer/etc.

There's no diet books, no food lists, etc... I taped the first episode, and only sat down to watch it yesterday, so I'm a little behind, but yes, he's dead-on.

I'm going to start following his rules of eating... It makes sense... it really does... more than any of those diets out there...

Amanda
We don't have that show here, but what are the rules? I have a problem with eating all the time, when I'm reading, bored, watching tv.....the list goes on.
post #7 of 20
How do you not eat in front of the TV???
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwideus View Post
We don't have that show here, but what are the rules? I have a problem with eating all the time, when I'm reading, bored, watching tv.....the list goes on.
1. Eat when you're hungry. This means not starving yourself until you're about to faint, but not overindulging either. Stop eating in front of the TV or comptuer (my main issue), but sit down and enjoy the food. eat each bite at least 20 times, savor each bite. enjoy the food, not just wolf it down.

2. Eat what you want. Yes, that means pizza, chocolate, etc... he said go through your cabinets and fridge and throw out anything that you feel forced to eat because the diets and society tell you it's better for you (like those leaner frozen meals, etc). If you don't like the food, don't buy it. Say you don't like broccoli, then don't buy it. Don't force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy.

3. Eat consciously. I touched on this under #1. 20 times, enjoy the food. What Paul suggests is for one meal, sit down and blindfold yourself. Listen to your body. It will tell you when it's had enough.

4. When you think you're full, STOP EATING. We've all conditioned ourselves to clean our plates, etc... but we don't need to. Especially here in the US, our meals are huge. But our stomachs aren't that big... they really aren't. We've also tuned out our own bodies... we don't listen to them. the blindfold from #3 will help you listen again. Stop watching the plate, and start listening to your body.

Here's the TLC website for his show... I Can Make You Thin

And his site: McKennahttp://www.mckenna.com/

I'm starting to do it... relishing my food more... slowing down. I grew up with ten minute dinners... from sit down to get up was ten minutes... and that included talking!! I've slowed down considerably since then, but I can obviously go slower...

Sounds ridiculously simple, huh? I know... and that makes me all the more curious about it...

Amanda
post #9 of 20
Amanda - that makes sense. I will try that! I am hungry right now so I think I will toast a bagel and enjoy it.

Thanks!
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy View Post
1. Eat when you're hungry. This means not starving yourself until you're about to faint, but not overindulging either. Stop eating in front of the TV or comptuer (my main issue), but sit down and enjoy the food. eat each bite at least 20 times, savor each bite. enjoy the food, not just wolf it down.

2. Eat what you want. Yes, that means pizza, chocolate, etc... he said go through your cabinets and fridge and throw out anything that you feel forced to eat because the diets and society tell you it's better for you (like those leaner frozen meals, etc). If you don't like the food, don't buy it. Say you don't like broccoli, then don't buy it. Don't force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy.

3. Eat consciously. I touched on this under #1. 20 times, enjoy the food. What Paul suggests is for one meal, sit down and blindfold yourself. Listen to your body. It will tell you when it's had enough.

4. When you think you're full, STOP EATING. We've all conditioned ourselves to clean our plates, etc... but we don't need to. Especially here in the US, our meals are huge. But our stomachs aren't that big... they really aren't. We've also tuned out our own bodies... we don't listen to them. the blindfold from #3 will help you listen again. Stop watching the plate, and start listening to your body.

Here's the TLC website for his show... I Can Make You Thin

And his site: McKennahttp://www.mckenna.com/

I'm starting to do it... relishing my food more... slowing down. I grew up with ten minute dinners... from sit down to get up was ten minutes... and that included talking!! I've slowed down considerably since then, but I can obviously go slower...

Sounds ridiculously simple, huh? I know... and that makes me all the more curious about it...

Amanda


if only it was that easy!
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax View Post


if only it was that easy!
The thing is, his approach does make sense... watch how people eat. How many times you chew one bite of food. Observe how often you sit in front of the television and essentially inhale your food. We don't think about our food. We don't enjoy it as in the flavors of the food. We enjoy our food, but only for the emotional release we think it gives us.

How many diets have we all been on that we have failed at miserably? We restrict our food choices, thinking that will help us... and then a few months down the road, we start craving something from the forbidden list (me? it's bacon)... there goes the diet.

What he has already said is that as you do slow down and listening to your body about what it wants in terms of food, your choices do change. You probably will still want certain things... but if you allow yourself to eat the type of food you want when you want it (just in moderation, listening to your body for when it's full) you won't have those ravenous cravings later.

You also eat more consciously. I'm already noticing that I'm not mindlessly eating in front of the TV. Was I hungry before going to bed? Not really. Was the container of chocolate covered peanuts right there for me? Yes. For over an hour, I even had my hand ON the container, but never opened it. I wasn't hungry, so I didn't eat. Am I hungry now? Yeah... it's breakfast time... and if can uncover my stove, I'll maybe fix something... or I'll wait until I head over to IKEA and have breakfast in their restaurant. Cheap and halfway decent... and I'll get my bacon... If i leave food on my plate, so be it. I'll eat until I'm full, not until my plate is cleaned off...

I like his message.... and i have about 35 pounds to lose... I'm going to keep track... anyone else here willing to join me?

Amanda
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
This past week he talked about emotional eating. That is my big problem at night. I'm bored, or lonely so I eat. He gave this thing to do, I don't have time to give the details right now. I've tried it a couple of times, I don't notice a big difference, but I will keep trying.

The thing I really like is that I don't feel like a bad person for enjoying the Dove ice cream minatures. I can eat 1 or 2 and know that if I'm hungry later I can have more. I think that part of why it is hard to admit that we eat to much is that we are made to feel like bad people. Instead of understanding where this desire to eat comes from society has told us we are "ugly, lazy, sloppy, disgusting" and all the other messages. Listening to this show I feel that I'm not bad for loving chocolate, I just need to learn how to eat it right. I hope I can stick with it, but if I don't I haven't invested more money in an effort to lose weight.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
Listening to this show I feel that I'm not bad for loving chocolate, I just need to learn how to eat it right. I hope I can stick with it, but if I don't I haven't invested more money in an effort to lose weight.
Exactly... there's no extra cost to his approach. Watch the show (if you can find it on a channel you get), visit the website (free to join), if you want, you can buy the dvd's of the program... but I feel no need at this point. I've written down the rules, and I listen to what he says...

I was trying to do the Eat Right for your Type diet... but i failed miserably right out of the gate, because I started getting cravings for ... guess... bacon! Which is on my banned list. Yes, sure you can have it once in a while... but I was craving big time... so no. that was my downfall... ergh...

This is a much more logical approach... and no money involved in buying into it...

Amanda
post #14 of 20
I like Paul McKenna's approach. His book was out here about 2 years ago, followed by a tv series on sky, and I must admit that when I consciously follow the rules I eat less and enjoy my food more. I think the most important one for me is to eat slowly and savour my food. When I do that, I don't just give my body time to let me know I'm full, but I feel psychologically satisfied as well as physically satisfied. Whenever I stick to eating this way, I always lose weight. But then I end up pigging out on chocolate again. But that's me failing to follow the rules rather than the rules failing to work. It's not easy overcoming years of telling myself certain foods are bad (and it's inevitable that they then become more attractive). I like this approach because it's a sensible way of eating and you can eat out anywhere without any "I can't eat that" so long as you stick to eating only when hungry and stopping when you're full (as in pleasantly satisfied rather than stuffed fit to burst!).
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantigers View Post
But that's me failing to follow the rules rather than the rules failing to work. It's not easy overcoming years of telling myself certain foods are bad (and it's inevitable that they then become more attractive). I like this approach because it's a sensible way of eating and you can eat out anywhere without any "I can't eat that" so long as you stick to eating only when hungry and stopping when you're full (as in pleasantly satisfied rather than stuffed fit to burst!).
I totally see how this approach would work, but I know that I too am struggling against years of bad habits & bad thoughts. I have to say that since trying this, I can tell the differnce between satisfied & stuffed. If I don't pay attention, I don't stop until I'm stuffed.
post #16 of 20
A friend of mine just told me about this today in an email. I will try to catch the next show sounds very informative.
post #17 of 20
Unfortunately, everyone has a completely different metabolism rate, and I don't think this is taken into consideration here.

I've gained close to 50 pounds since quitting smoking 4 years ago, and have always had a fairly slow metabolism.

I don't eat much and I don't eat often. I eat as much ruffage as possible, and I am not a big fan of chocolate. I do not keep any snack foods in the house except popcorn, which is relatively low calorie.

I am a slow eater, not a shoveler, and I don't eat large portion - when I go out to eat I'm always bringing at LEAST half of my dinner home in a doggie bag.

Yet my weight continues to creep up as I age and my metabolism slows even more.

I already employ those 4 main steps, but it makes not one iota of difference for me.

THE only way that I will be able to lose weight is to get up off my behind and exercise, period. If this guy doesn't preach physical activity as a LARGE part of this eating behavior modification method of weight loss, then it's all moot.
post #18 of 20
Weight loss doctors will tell you that "dieting," or cutting out too many calories, forces the body into a starvation mode response. The body tries to compensate for the loss of calories by slowing your metabolism way down. The correct response to correct for this is to eat small amounts more often. In other words, eat a bit more than you think you should. It is amazing how this works.
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
THE only way that I will be able to lose weight is to get up off my behind and exercise, period. If this guy doesn't preach physical activity as a LARGE part of this eating behavior modification method of weight loss, then it's all moot.
I think he will be covering exercising in an upcomming show. This is just as far as the show has gone. The other thing I like about the show is that your not overwhelmed with everything at once. Week 1 was about the 4 rules, week 2 was about curbing emotional eating. Week 3 is goint to be about curbing cravings. After that I'm not sure. I think that to say it's moot is a bit strong. Perhaps it is for you, but for someone like me it is not. I'm a big emotional eater and if given the change will eat very large meals. I've spent my life dieting and being told that Chocolate is evil and I'm bad for liking it (well maybe not in those exact words ). I agree that differnt people have differnt matoblisms, but I think this program has good information. Like anything else it's about taking what you can and making it work for your life. For example he talks about throwing out all the low cal frozen dinners. I happen to like those, so why not eat them for lunch? I have to say for me this week I'm not being very sucessful at the not eating emotionally thing, but that's my own issue.
post #20 of 20
I haven't been watching the show, but he was on Ellen & showed a stress relieving exercise and it really worked.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone else watching, "I can make you thin."