So I signed up for Weight watchers...

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First of all I have to say OMG when it comes to what my weight "should" be. I have to loose about 100 lbs... But anyway, having said that - I have bad ankles so I have a hard time excersizing. I was thinking about getting a yoga dvd and doing that after work. Does that count as enough excersize? Or does anyone have any good ideas on something I could do at home? The other problem is that I leave for work about 7:45am and don't get home until after 6. By the time I get home I have to start cooking, then we eat dinner and by 9 I"m ready for bed... I want something I can do at home right after work... Any ideas would be awesome! Thanks.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
100 lbs? I see the photo of you on another thread! That cannot be true!

Walking is the best exercise. You can add steps to you day by parking far from your work entrance, grocery store, etc. do a little at a time if you are not used to it. And I am with ya on this 100 percent b/c I got some poundage to drop too.... and I am being hounded by TWO doctors now!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

100 lbs? I see the photo of you on another thread! That cannot be true!
I've gained about 30lbs since I got married in August...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

I've gained about 30lbs since I got married in August...
even so, you've got to remember that the 'ideal weight' amount is actually just a guideline.
example: according to the BMI people, i should weigh 120 pounds, since i'm 5"2.5" tall. my sister, who has always been thin, weighs at least 130 pounds - she's 1 inch taller than i am - & the chart shows her BMI as 23, smack-dab in the middle of the 'normal' category. yesterday, she asked me whether i was still losing since my surgery, & how much i had lost, how much i weighed now, etc. [i don't mind - our family is very open about that kinda thing & very supportive of me] & when i told her, she said, "you don't look like you weigh that much."
what the weight-setting people fail to take into account is build. my sister is a pear shape - i'm an hourglass. i probably carry 30 pounds in my chest, whereas she carries more like 10. so that alone gives me a 20 pound advantage [but 140 pounds at my height puts my BMI into the 'overweight' category...]. i also wear bigger shoes, bigger rings, etc. basically, i'm a bigger, but shorter person than she is.
but there's not anyplace where you can plug in that info - at least, not online!

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess that makes sense... In high school I weighed about 120lbs (I'm 5'6") and I was WAY too skinny. The BMI says I should be around 124lbs. I can't even imagine. I don't really care what I weigh, it's how my clothes fit. I want to be able to shop at normal stores again and wear cute things. I'd be happy in a 10. An 8 would be better, but I'd settle for a 10. I wear between an 18 and a 20 now. If anyone else on here does Weight Watchers, I'd love some tips, or even just periodic support. No one else I know does it...

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm actually in a similar position - I need to lose a good 20 kilos or so (I've no idea what that is in lbs - about 40, I think....) but I'm stuck for ideas. I'm not really a good runner, though I'm supposed to be training for the marathon - but I really need to lose some weight before I can run any distance. I need something cheap and easy and something I'm not going to feel too much of an idiot doing!! I'd heard that yoga is supposed to be pretty hard work and good training - even if it looks easy. It apparently strengthens muscles you'd forgotten you had, so I was thinking of giving it a go.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beck4582

I guess that makes sense... In high school I weighed about 120lbs (I'm 5'6") and I was WAY too skinny. The BMI says I should be around 124lbs. I can't even imagine. I don't really care what I weigh, it's how my clothes fit. I want to be able to shop at normal stores again and wear cute things. I'd be happy in a 10. An 8 would be better, but I'd settle for a 10. I wear between an 18 and a 20 now. If anyone else on here does Weight Watchers, I'd love some tips, or even just periodic support. No one else I know does it...
there is one here currently, but it's in the premium lounge.
doesn't WW have an online group, too?

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

I'm actually in a similar position - I need to lose a good 20 kilos or so (I've no idea what that is in lbs - about 40, I think....) but I'm stuck for ideas. I'm not really a good runner, though I'm supposed to be training for the marathon - but I really need to lose some weight before I can run any distance. I need something cheap and easy and something I'm not going to feel too much of an idiot doing!! I'd heard that yoga is supposed to be pretty hard work and good training - even if it looks easy. It apparently strengthens muscles you'd forgotten you had, so I was thinking of giving it a go.
I think I'm going to go to Walmart tonight and get a yoga dvd. I'll let you know how I like it.

Also, yeah, they have groups on the website but there are SO MANY people on the boards. I thought it'd be nice to have people I talk to on a daily basis to share it with.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can join sparkpeople.com there is a group of us called TCSers!!
The sute emails good tips and lots of exercises.
Buy a balance ball (aka Swiss ball) you can do lots of exercises with that piece of equipment and they are pretty inexpensive.