Do your cats chase their tail?

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since I have had Petunia shaved, she has been more playful and is doing silly things like chasing her tail, hiding under my bed and attacking me, chasing shadows, etc. The mats were bothering her more than I even realized
(makes me feel like a bad mom when I think about it). I have never seen a cat chase their tail before so do any of your kitties do it?

mercury_quirks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My eight month old kitten chases his tail all the time
I'm not sure how long he's been doing this since I've only owned him for a week and a half, but it's one of this favorite things to do.

And the first cat my family got, we picked because she was the kitten chasing her tail (and she was also really cute and playful and friendly).

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dusty, (the one with the broken tail) will chase her tail. It is so funny to watch. I am surprised she doesn't get dizzy...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was about 5 or so, we visited my grandfather in Michigan, on the farm. The old cat that was my mother's, by the name of Suzy, was still there, approaching 16 years old. When she came inside to eat, when she was done, there was a spot next to the bureau in the dining room where she would chase her tail. She'd go around about 10 times in one direction, then 10 times in the opposite direction, then go find a sunbeam to lie in.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ana does from time to time, but it's not usual with my cats

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie is almost 3 and still chases her tail. Usually it starts with her washing her tail and turns into a game of wait, what is that and why does it move. As I've said before Maggie is cute, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. She will chase her tail, catch it and bite it, then look supprised that it hurt.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aristotle likes to hang over the kitchen chairs and play with his tail.

skinnycat75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Linus does that once in a while, he does a lot of goofy things...once he ran by so fast he STEPPED on it and pulled out a huuge wad of fur..lol

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Patches chases her tail-but only at night while I am rocking my 9 mos old daughter to sleep. The rest of the day, she lays under the bed and hides and as soon as I hit that rocking chair she is in the nursery playing and chasing after her tail as well as imaginary objects. Funny little painted cat! (she is a calico-that is why we call her out little painted cat)

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen Rocky chase his tail a couple of times -- he always looks embarrassed, like if he could talk, he'd say, "I can't believe you caught me looking so undignified!" Oliver would rather chase Rocky's tail.

My RB calico Lucky did the cutest thing when she was a kitten and young cat. She would balance on this wrought-iron rail that we had in our living room and run in circles chasing her tail *standing on the rail*. By the time she was about 2, she wouldn't fit any more, though. I need to go look through my pictures and see if I have any of her doing that.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mollie is the tail chaser in my house. I swear that sometimes she doesn't even realize that it is her tail. She sits there and watches it twitch and then jumps on it and goes around and around! I do get nervous when she is on the top of the cat tree - I am afraid that she will fall off!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Aristotle likes to hang over the kitchen chairs and play with his tail.
Riley does the same thing, but on top of his cat tree perch. He will hang his tail over one edge, then reach under and try to reach it from the other side

such a little goof!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Martha used to chase her tail...but now that she is a 'grown up' sophisticated adult, she doesn't do it anymore!!!!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arwen will be sat on the chair with her tail hanging one side, and if she catches a glimpse of it, she will try catching it...the odd occasion she will bite down on her tail

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Martha used to chase her tail...but now that she is a 'grown up' sophisticated adult, she doesn't do it anymore!!!!
I only got Butzie when she was about 2, so I think, like Martha, she was too sophisticated to chase her tail.