antisocial kitty

casienjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a rather interesting problem. My cat loves children and women, but when my boyfriend, dad, or brother try to touch her, she hisses, swats, and scratches. I don't know why she is doing this. All I know is it started after a rather traumatic visit to the vet (her heart stopped twice during anesthesia). Is there a way I can get her to stop being so mean to men? Or is this just something I will have to learn to deal with?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's something that may just take time. I don't know which man in your life is most important right now - your Dad or your BF, but if you live at home, I'd go with your Dad. If you live on your own, I'd probably go with the BF.

Either way, have one of them get a couple of old t-shirts they're willing to give up really good and sweaty. Put one under her food dish. Then, twice a day, put treats out for her (at the same time every day, if possible) on the other one. It will help her come to associate "good things" with that scent. I don't know if it will help her re-adjust to men in general, or if it will just help her with that one person - but if you're consistent about it for a month to two months, it should help.

Laurie

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea there... but please don't call her 'mean', she's just expressing herself (whatever she's feeling) the only way she can - she can't sit down and tell you she's not happy around males after all.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just being curious so I want to ask...

Originally Posted by casienjoy

My cat loves children
Even male children?

Originally Posted by casiejoy

All I know is it started after a rather traumatic visit to the vet (her heart stopped twice during anesthesia).
Is your vet a man?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casienjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she loves male children. I babysit two at my apartment and she won't leave them alone. Just doesn't like adult males. And my vet is female, which is why I was so confused when she came home with a sudden hatred or fear of men.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by casienjoy

And my vet is female, which is why I was so confused when she came home with a sudden hatred or fear of men.
How about the vet tech? They are the ones prepping the animal for surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casienjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
everyone I saw was female, but then again I'm sure I don't get to see everyone who has contact with the animals. I do have a different vet now, though, and kitty seems to be a bit more cooperative with her.