Can you all PLEASE settle an on going argument...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our current vacuum is on it's way out. We paid $60 for it three years ago, and now every time we use it it starts to smoke! I want to save up some funds a get a Dyson Animal, but DH says it's a total waste of money.

Please TCS cat lovers prove him wrong. Post pictures of your Dyson challenge in this thread. I need to show him that the expense is worth it.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are people in these forums who swear by their Dysons but from reviews I've read, while Dysons are considered a good vacuum, there are others that are just as good that sell for hundreds less. Sorry I can't remember any of the "other" vacuums right now. I would just be sure to throughly research before buying.

BTW - Some of the Dyson "challenges" I have seen have been comparisons between very old, very cheap vacuums and a Dyson. I don't see much value in these. The comparisons should be between a Dyson and another new, good quality vacuum.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i think if i were to put that kind of money into a vacuum it would be a rainbow that ALSO can be used as a shampooer, or i would buy a roomba that way i can put it on the floor turn it on and it sweeps itself.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've had our Dyson for 2 1/2 years and have not had one single problem with it. It was the first vacuum we got over here, but I can certainly do a run over the carpet today and take a photo of how much it gets up after having vacuumed last weekend.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always wondered how you dispose of the contents, they dont show that in the adverts. I can imagine that as soon as you tip it into a bag no matter how carefull you are that dust and small amounts of god knows what go back into the air, whereas a bag seems the best way. But then what do I know? I am a bloke

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with Dyson, but Consumer Reports rates Kenmore Progressive as their best buy. The cannister model rated as "Excellent" for cleaning pet hair.

I have a Kenmore canister that I bought in 2006 that I absolutely love. It does a fine job cleaning pet hair, and everything else. I also got an incredible bargain because the day I decided to go vacuum cleaner shopping, the 3 progressive models (good, better, best) we all on sale. I decided on the better model, figuring I didn't need to spend an extra $100 to get the best one. The sales clerk went back to check if it was in stock, came out and told me it wasn't in stock, but she was authorized to sell me the more expensive one at the same sale price, if that was okay with me. Needless to say, I was a happy camper that day.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I don't have any experience with Dyson, but Consumer Reports rates Kenmore Progressive as their best buy. The cannister model rated as "Excellent" for cleaning pet hair.
That's the one I bought and love it. It's also far less expensive than the Dyson. The Kenmore was rated much higher at removing pet hair than the Dyson Animal.

Originally Posted by mschauer

I know there are people in these forums who swear by their Dysons but from reviews I've read, while Dysons are considered a good vacuum, there are others that are just as good that sell for hundreds less. Sorry I can't remember any of the "other" vacuums right now. I would just be sure to throughly research before buying.

BTW - Some of the Dyson "challenges" I have seen have been comparisons between very old, very cheap vacuums and a Dyson. I don't see much value in these. The comparisons should be between a Dyson and another new, good quality vacuum.
That vacuum would be the Kenmore Progressive. I did the before and after challenge with a very expensive Simplicity vacuum cleaner and the Kenmore kicked it's butt hands down.

Cleaning out the cannister takes some work getting used to it. You dump the hair as carefully as you can into the trash then take the filter outside to tap all the dust out of it. It works so well that its still pulling 37 years of dust out of my house.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a Dyson which I burned up using the wrong kind of carpet deodorizer which was my fault. I didn't have the money to get another Dyson. I went to a janitoral supply shop and bought a commercial grade Panasonic for $200.00 and I think it works as well as the Dyson did. Dysons are good but I think there are others that are cheaper and work as well.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you don't want to pay for a Dyson you might want to consider a Dirt Devil Purpose for Pets machine. I bought one in February for $75 at Wal-Mart. It picks up well and is designed to get up maximum pet hair.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll have to consider also that that's just a handheld. 200$ for a secondary vacuum is... well, if you really want it, you really want it. But you'd have to buy a real vacuum too, so why not just get a good upright?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby and I bought a Dyson DC17 Animal a couple of months ago to replace the old vacuum. We got it on the internet for about $100 less that what it was at the local stores. After using it once or twice weekly for a couple of months, we are still VERY impressed with it. After the house is vacuumed, we take the canister to the outside trash can and we also bring a can of compressed air (like the stuff you clean keyboards with) and clean it thoroughly. We also have a roomba discovery that is good for spot cleaning during the week. With my husband and myself and two shorthaired cats that don't really shed too much, it is really surprising how much stuff gets vacuumed out of the carpets. Two weeks worth for the Dyson is what the old vacuum would have taken 6mos to pick up.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what kind of floors do you have? for hard floors, a canister works better. i have a eureka mighty mite - works great!

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i bought a dyson DC18 slim from bestvacuums.com 6 weeks ago. it was $369 and that's including shipping. reg. retail is $469. i love it and will never buy another brand. i can't believe all that comes up and it works great on bare floors too. i wish i would've bought one sooner

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I can't live without my Dyson Animal! That turbine furniture tool is amazing.

I also used to sell and repair vacuum cleaners for a living at one time, and I can honestly say that I've never seen a vacuum that has as much suction as this Dyson Animal. Even my cleaning lady says the same thing. I let my caretaker try it for the hallway on my floor. She loves it and it sucked up so much more than their vacuum does. She's pressing the agency to buy one for the building. And my brother has been bugging me to let him use it. I think I might have to spend more airmiles and get him one!

I will say that I was skeptical at first, but the proof is in the usage.

Here are some testimonial threads, including some with pictures of the results.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159367

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130389

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149146

Also, cleaning out the cannister is so easy! Press a button and remove the cannister. Put the bottom of the cannister in a bag, press another button, give a few light shakes up and down, close the bottom of the cannister and put it back into the vacuum. Takes about 20 seconds and can be done with one hand!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

You'll have to consider also that that's just a handheld. 200$ for a secondary vacuum is... well, if you really want it, you really want it. But you'd have to buy a real vacuum too, so why not just get a good upright?
If you're talking about the $200.00 Panasonic it is an upright not a handheld.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry but I'm siding with your DH on this. The Dyson's do not hold up - if you really look at it all over, its nothing more then plastic - and if something breaks you have a dead vacuum. We will be looking at Eureka (which is made by Electrolux Co.) or Riccar vacuums - we were at the Riccar shop - they also repair vacuums - and you should have seen the Dyson's sitting there dead. We got a close up on what they really are made of.

I would not waste money on Dyson's!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I picked the cheaper vac that beat the Dyson in all of Consumer Reports' tests.
I've taken the Dyson Challenge with my Eureka Boss against J's mother's Dyson pet, there was no difference and my Eureka was only $129