Jury Duty -or- Why ME??!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OKay, normal Jury Duty is one thing... but I have aparently gotten the 'special' JD... a Special Jury Summons By Order of the Presiding Judge... Circuit Court...

and here's the best part...

for a trial expected to last six weeks.

I have two employers... I wonder which one is going to be more helpful and forgiving.

Jeez, I know I wanted a way out of my one job, but this???

It starts in three weeks...

I'll need that long to figure out what to wear...

Anyone else had something like this... anyone in Oregon had something like this? This is not normal JD, from what I can tell... I've only ever had JD once before... about ten years ago down in CA. but it was civil court, this is not...

Advice? Other than show up and be honest... I already know those...

Amanda

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had jury duty for 6 days a couple years ago. Your employer can not hold jury duty against you!!! Thats a big No No!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I had jury duty for 6 days a couple years ago. Your employer can not hold jury duty against you!!! Thats a big No No!
I know they can't hold it against me... but I can certainly get guilt trips... One of my employers is a little more relaxed... and will be understanding... the other... I have no clue...

The main thing to find out is financial compensation... some employers still pay for your time, but your jury pay has to go to them... while others just say 'tough luck'

The last time i went through this, my supervisor told me I may not have a job to return to, since i was so new... he was a jack*** and had me fired two months later because of his screw-ups... Sorry, I don't do office politics... anyway...

things are tense as it is at the one (not so relaxed) job... I know they wouldn't get rid of me or anything, but I doubt things will be easy...

Amanda

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have to serve on jury duty if you don't want to.

Just tell them that it will cause you financial hardship and you're out just like that! *snaps fingers*

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Just tell them that it will cause you financial hardship and you're out just like that! *snaps fingers*
I will still have to show up the first day to do that... the form I have to send back in doesn't give me the option to say that...

And it'll pretty much cause financial hardship on anyone... period... I'm no exception... When i did it years ago, that's pretty much how i got out of it... and the glare from the judge wasn't pretty...

I've been fortunate, I haven't been called since then... and having moved around is part of that... but I'm up... fair is fair... I just hope it's something I can get dismissed on...

Amanda

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because you recieved a summons for jury duty does not mean you will be picked to serve on the jury.

Where I live, they always send out a bunch of summons, the lawyers all talk about if they want you to serve or not, then after they pick who they want, they excuse the rest.

At least that is the way it works in Mississippi.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was called for jury duty about 4 times in my life, only 1 time I actually had to be a juror, and that was the one for 6days. I watched people give alot of different excuses and there were a couple that they they would not let out of it and they got chosen. Your odds are that you won't get picked to be a juror depending on how large the pool of people they have to chose from(believe me I used to calculate it!) I worked for a really good company in Colorado that paid me for time lost to show up as a potential juror. The company I work for now in Nebraska did not compensate me for the 6 days i served as a juror. The court paid me for the 6 days, plus since I had to drive 40 miles one way they compensated me for milage.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just go and tell them you are glad to be on jury duty, you can spot a guilty person with a glance.
That should get you sent home quick.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ehhh...one friend of mine use to stop showering 3 days before going to jury duty every time he was called. Never had to serve on a jury.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I was called for jury duty about 4 times in my life, only 1 time I actually had to be a juror, and that was the one for 6days. I watched people give alot of different excuses and there were a couple that they they would not let out of it and they got chosen.
My excuse would be:

1. Financial hardship;

2. Medical reasons. I have a history of depression and don't deal with stress that well so I'd tell them that I was on "Anti-psychotic" medication. No one wants a psycho on their jury!!

3. I don't like discord and confrontation and I will go with the flow to avoid an argument and malcontent so I can't be depended on to give an unbiased verdict.

4. I'm too empathetic to people in distress and that would sway my ability to give an unbiased verdict.

5. My attention span is not that great and I wouldn't remember what was said in the trial.

And I could go on. But those would be enough to get me out of it

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

Just because you recieved a summons for jury duty does not mean you will be picked to serve on the jury.

Where I live, they always send out a bunch of summons, the lawyers all talk about if they want you to serve or not, then after they pick who they want, they excuse the rest.

At least that is the way it works in Mississippi.
Texas, too. i was called just recently for municipal court - wasn't chosen for either trial.
called earlier [couple of years ago] for criminal court - was chosen. guy shoulda taken a plea!
i've been told that you should carry one of Rush Limbaugh's book [w/dust cover!] to court w/you - someone will want you excused! you don't have to read it - matter of fact, you could buy it, carry it, then return it!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ways that actually work:

Tell them you're related to a policeman.

Tell them you're a strict fundamentalist.

The last time I was called, it was for a drunk driving case. When I told them in the last fifteen years I've done way over 1,000,000 miles without a ticket or chargeable accident, but I've been hit by 3 drunk drivers, they turned white and let me go.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dress nice - not sloppy - NO jeans, no low cut tops or too short dress/skirt. Take notes and try not to look too bored

The one time I was on a trial (mine was only one day) the defendents lawyer was so incompetent that one of the jurors was keeping track of how many "objections - objection overruled" was said. Every time the prosecution guy was saying something, the defendent would jump up with "objection".....it was hard not to start cracking up laughing at this - we had to keep a straight face.

But I remember saying to myself if I ever needed a lawyer do NOT hire this one! I kinda felt sorry for the defendent - but he was guilty of the crime.

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well are you able to be away from your job for that long? U can always obtain from your employers a signed statement stating you are NEEDED at work and due to financial hardship.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe that it is our obligation as a citizen to serve jury duty if called. I was called once and had to show up but the defendants in court that day all opted for a verdict by the Judge rather than a jury so we were all excused.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

OKay, normal Jury Duty is one thing... but I have aparently gotten the 'special' JD... a Special Jury Summons By Order of the Presiding Judge... Circuit Court...

and here's the best part...

for a trial expected to last six weeks.

I have two employers... I wonder which one is going to be more helpful and forgiving.

Jeez, I know I wanted a way out of my one job, but this???

It starts in three weeks...

I'll need that long to figure out what to wear...

Anyone else had something like this... anyone in Oregon had something like this? This is not normal JD, from what I can tell... I've only ever had JD once before... about ten years ago down in CA. but it was civil court, this is not...

Advice? Other than show up and be honest... I already know those...

Amanda
I don't remember where you are from. (Ok, as I'm editing this I see you said Oregon. Sorry!) But in the States, I believe federal law requires employers to give employees time off for jury duty. Without any penalty. The employer doesn't have to pay you (although some do; including mine.)

The other option is, when you go for jury selection and they ask you a question like, can you be impartial and make a decission based on only the facts? Say, "No! He's guilty as hell!" That'll get you out of it.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is from Jackson County website but it is listing state law and mentions the federal protection law.
http://Oregon State Jury dutyOregon State Jury duty
<<PROHIBITED ACTS BY EMPLOYERS: The law provides that an employer shall not discharge or threaten to discharge, intimidate, or coerce an employee by reason of the employee's service as a juror. However, this does not alter the effect of an employer's policies or agreements regarding wages during jury service.>>

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Where I live that is NOT a valid excuse and will NOT get you excused from jury duty. In fact they have gotten very strict and there are not many excuses you can use to get out of jury duty.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckblv

Where I live that is NOT a valid excuse and will NOT get you excused from jury duty. In fact they have gotten very strict and there are not many excuses you can use to get out of jury duty.
I think most areas now frown upon the 'financial hardship' excuse. That's essentially what I did before down in CA... here, I doubt I'll do that. I'll talk to my one supervisor tomorrow... as I've said, she won't be happy about it, but she will have to deal with it.

Those of you who've responded... one thing you gotta understand about that job... I'm one of two Pages who shelve materials in a small town library. The other girl is full time (although she's PT right now due to major job stress), and I'm officially the part timer... If we're not there, our job pretty much doesn't get done. We have no back up/on call people for our job. Sucks? Yes. They just hired some on call folks for the clerk position... but I can tell you they aren't going to train these people to shelve.

My library is kind of backwards in that respect. I have many issues going on there right now... and I'm pretty much ready to leave, but this JD thing puts a kink in things... I haven't quite figured out how things are going to turn out...

Also, I was half-joking about the dirty looks and the grief I'll get from my jobs. Do I think either one will fire me? No. My retail job will miss me... but they're very respectful of this stuff. And they do have several people who can do my job... it's the library that worries me. I actually want to talk to our HR person first, but i doubt that'll happen. She's not there often... I just hope I get a straight answer from my supervisor about where the city stands on JD.

I'm not going to lie or play games to get out of this... if i get picked, then I get picked... I'm a (mostly) law abiding citizen in this country... I should do my part. As we all should.

Sometimes there are valid reasons for getting excused... once, my mother was excused because the defense attorney had represented my sister in an issue many years ago... of course, he tried to hide that, but she brought it up and was excused for it... I think she said the judge gave that attorney a filthy look...

if my beliefs are an issue, then yes, I would beg off... Do I hope that there'll be a plea bargain? Oh yeah... I can't think of any situation where I'd be excused due to my knowing someone or something... except one... but I doubt that would be going to court right now... if at all...

Anyway... We'll have to see how things play out with my jobs... lay off the whole 'they can't fire you' tangent... I already know that... I'll keep you guys up on how things play out...

A.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was kidding about saying "he's guilty as hell." I should have put a
after it, I guess!

Yes, it would be a hardship on your boss and co workers at the library. But that's the way it goes and thank goodness they can't legally deny you going, fire you, or penalize you for it either. That's federal law and if the feds come knockin' you answer the door and the employer has to let you go; no questions! All you have to do is notify the employers that you were called and turn in the required paper work. Good luck!