John Adams

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With no cable I'll have to wait until its released on DVD. I read the book though and the series really looks good!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The episodes are really long. I haven't read the book, but I have a feeling they're following it as there are some scenes that are just really, really long.

However overall I'm enjoying it, the costumes are great, the characters are excellent and I'm finding it to be an excellent insight into Abigail Adam's life while John was in Philidephia as well as seeing the Declaration of Independance and the start of America being played out.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've really been enjoying the series so far. It's something different than my usual TV fare these days (American Idol, Top chef, etc.
) I especially love how they recreated colonial Boston. Overall it's very well done, and Paul Giamatti is excellent.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Is this based off of the book by David McCullough?
Yes it is.

We watched the first two last Sunday and were really impressed. It's really interesting and seems to (according to my husband, can't say I know a whole lot about that point in history) be pretty historically accurate.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My wife, being a New England (Massachusetts, in fact) girl is a big fan of John Adams. He's kind of an enigmatic figure; if you've seen the movie "1776," you'll know he was "obnoxious and disliked." Sam Adams was a radical and a financier of the Revolution, but John was his front man.

John ascribed his long life to drinking a pint of hard cider every morning.

My wife's "home town" is Pepperell, MA, the home of Colonel Prescott, who said, "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

It's really interesting and seems to (according to my husband, can't say I know a whole lot about that point in history) be pretty historically accurate.
that's the what B was saying...in fact he quizzed me on Adams acceptance speech to represent MA at the Continental Congress and asked where I should know it from.

That's when he said that Thomas Jefferson never fully wrote the Declaration of Independence on his own...he indeed had the more eloquent hand then anyone else, but he barely had time...so he borrowed from other speeches

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are those who say Jefferson actually wrote very little of the Declaration of Independence; that it was mostly Adam's work, but he was so unpopular he had to have Jefferson submit it.

I've never seen any strong evidence that John had that good a literary mind in any of his other work.

It's odd that Adams lived as a egalitarian but governed as an elitist, and Jefferson lived as an elitist but governed as an egalitarian.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never learned Jefferson supposedly wrote the Declaration of Indepdendence. ???? I was under the impression it was a collaboration of the committee. Maybe originally drafted by Jefferson, but definitely with additions by at least Benjamin Franklin, and I thought others of the committee (there were 5, but I only remember Franklin, Adams and Jefferson).

One thing I know for sure? Adams was a Federalist, and Jefferson wasn't.

But I'm looking forward to the release of the series on DVD.

Laurie

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved the first two episodes. I don't know much of the time period. Just the general knowledge that I learned in school. I also bought the book prefering reading then watching. I am currently a little ahead of the episode airing tonight.

Tricia

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I never learned Jefferson supposedly wrote the Declaration of Indepdendence. ???? I was under the impression it was a collaboration of the committee. Maybe originally drafted by Jefferson, but definitely with additions by at least Benjamin Franklin, and I thought others of the committee (there were 5, but I only remember Franklin, Adams and Jefferson).

One thing I know for sure? Adams was a Federalist, and Jefferson wasn't.

But I'm looking forward to the release of the series on DVD.

Laurie
Oddly enough, Jefferson led the first American war on foreign soil...against the Muslims in North Africa! There's a great book on that out recently, something about America and the Middle East, Fantasy, Religion....something like that.