Funny Games (1997)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/

Thank goodness this was a Netflicks copy, because if I owned it it would have gotten tossed off my balcony after I had snapped it in half and burned it. I *must* respect Netflicks property, because it's so tempting to break it anyway.

After saying all that. I think that's exactly the reaction the director of this movie wanted. Funny Games is a psychological experiment and guess who's getting tested? You! Do you think violence is entertaining? Great! Lets watch Funny Games and be completely disgusted with ourselves. Lets watch an entire family get tortured! Doesn't that sound like a fun night out?

The reason I rented this is because I'm cheap. In theaters now is a SHOT FOR SHOT remake of the exact same film. Everything is the same except that it was translated into English. So, the director apparently ran out of ideas and decided to remake his OWN film. Talk about being lazy.

Funny Games is a terrible film and I'd say the only reason to rent would be to snap it in half as you walk out the door of the movie rental shop. No one should be forced to sit though this film. Ever. It really reminded me of the scene in A Clockwork Orange where Alex's eyes were forced open as he was given shock treatments.

Avoid this one like the plague. It is now going on my "Worst Ever" list. It's 108 minutes you'll never get back.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

The reason I rented this is because I'm cheap. In theaters now is a SHOT FOR SHOT remake of the exact same film. Everything is the same except that it was translated into English. So, the director apparently ran out of ideas and decided to remake his OWN film. Talk about being lazy.
I was listening to a review of the remake and the director wanted to expand the influence of his film by translating it into English. I guess he wants to teach us a lesson of some sort. Nothing in the review made me want to see the film, but then I tend to avoid the more violent films any way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I was listening to a review of the remake and the director wanted to expand the influence of his film by translating it into English. I guess he wants to teach us a lesson of some sort. Nothing in the review made me want to see the film, but then I tend to avoid the more violent films any way.
I don't buy that at all. If his movie was good in the first place people would have watched it. The vast majority of movie goers will see a film with subtitles if it's worth their time. (Examples: Pan's Labyrinth, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, City of God, City of Lost Children)

It's like he said, "Well it didn't work the first time, but I REALLY like it. What can I do? OH! Make it in English! Americans will LOVE IT!"