Strange/sudden chest pains

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So today I felt like I about died. This morning I started having these stabbing chest pains around the center of my chest right and every time I breathed in it would be unbearable. My arms were also killing my, my shoulders and chest felt like I've been doing millions of pushups/pullups, like super sore and my head was pounding. It got really bad after I got home and I took some advil and tried to go to bed and then a couple hours ago the pain just sudden subsided. It's still somewhat sore if I breath in and my throat sort of tickles. I thought it might've been heartburn, but last time I had heartburn the pain lingered for days it hurt in a different way. My lungs/ribs were kind of tender so I was wondering if it was pneumonia or bronchitis but then the pain subsided which doesn't make sense.

While I'm waiting for a response from the doc (one of those that doesn't work on weekends apparently), anyone have a clue what this sudden episode might've been?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call 911 and get to an emergency room.

These are the symptoms my mother ignored, and she died of a heart attack that night.

The worst that can happen is that you have heartburn instead of a heart attack.

And ladies, let me say up front that you are very bad about ignoring the signs of a heart attack, and that's the reason the first one is fatal for so many of you!

Soapbox mode off.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heart attack pain in women is different to heart attack pain in men, generally more mild symptoms, so definitely go and get it checked out ASAP.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get to a doctor soon. I know no one likes going to the ER, but because it may be your heart you're less likely to be left sitting in the waiting room

And even if it is something like bad heartburn, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc - you still need medical treatment.

Good luck that it's nothing bad, and keep us updated if you can.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get to a doctor, please! That does not sound good. My dad died of a heart attack when I was 16 and I'm sure he just thought he had indigestion or something and ignored the symptoms. Get medical help, please.
Sending you vibes and hope you'll update us!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Call 911 and get to an emergency room.

These are the symptoms my mother ignored, and she died of a heart attack that night.

The worst that can happen is that you have heartburn instead of a heart attack.

And ladies, let me say up front that you are very bad about ignoring the signs of a heart attack, and that's the reason the first one is fatal for so many of you!

Soapbox mode off.
Absolutely on target -- GO TO THE ER! Even though you feel better now, you MUST go, because if it was a heart attack, there's a drug they can give you in the first few hours afterward that will help prevent permanent damage. GO GO GO!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, just came back from the ER. They took an x-ray and an EKG and didn't find anything strange so that's a relief. The doctor there said it might be "costocondritis" and told me to take whopping doses of ibuprofen. Still in pain but hopefully it won't run too long. Thanks for everyone's concern, and the ER visit put me at ease too knowing it wasn't something more serious.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
glad your feeling better...

just curious, do you suffer from anxiety?

I've had a few really bad panic attacks that were exactly like what you described. After having tests done to see if they were stroke or heart attack it was determined that they were stress induced anxiety attacks. I take medication on an as-needed basis for them now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know they didn't find anything serious.
It might be worth following up with your regular doctor next week, if you can. Sometimes things can be missed in the ER, and if you are having inflammation it might be good to know why.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

The doctor there said it might be "costocondritis" and told me to take whopping doses of ibuprofen. Still in pain but hopefully it won't run too long.
Go see your doctor and get a Vitamin D level done.

I had severe, severe pain in my left ribs for over 3 years! I bawled like a baby whenever I coughed, sneezed, burped, took a normal breath or even lightly touched the area. And sleeping on that side was out of the question! It was horrible!

I was finally referred to a pain clinic and she did a whole slew of blood work including a vitamin D level. Turns out that I had almost no Vitamin D in my body at all. I was put on high doses of Vitamin D twice a week for 6 months and now I'm on a maintanance of 1,000 units per day for life. I noticed a vast improvement in my pain within a couple months of taking the large dose.

Today 1 year after starting Vitamin D I am almost virtually pain free. I still have some discomfort when the area is pressed firmly and I can't wear a bra as of yet because the elastic is right at the point where the pain is, but it's no longer affecting my daily life like it was.

So go and get a Vitamin D level done. It could mean the difference between having that horrible pain for years, or a matter of weeks.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you know Vitamin D is free... sunshine!

You can go to a tanning salon also if you can't spend enough time outside.
(I'm not suggesting you sunbathe in place of doctor prescribed medicine however.)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh god no, not a tanning salon! Those lights DO cause skin cancer, no matter what the salons try to tell you.

And the problem for some people is that their bodies cannot derive Vitamin D from the sun in the usual way... so additional sun exposure may not help.