When to make the adult food switch

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Skye will be a year sometime in June and she has been eating the Iams kitten formula since we brought her home. When do you think is the proper time to make the switch from kitten to the adult formula?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
how's she doing, weight-wise? too heavy? not heavy enough?
rule of thumb is the first year... but some cats need it longer, some not as long.
i actually am feeding my DSH kitten adult food, because if i fed kitten food the overweight adults would eat it!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually switch them at 5-6 months, Ana wouldn't eat kitten food so she's been on adult since 12 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her weight is good. She seems to love her kitten food which is why I'm not too sure when or even if to make the switch. She seems to love this and am afraid she won't eat if I make the switch. Is there a difference like vitamin and nutrients wise in the two?

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats at different ages so I found some cat foods that are ALL STAGES like Felidae etc. Look at the package, It will say for Adults or Adult & kitten or All stages. I think it really doe s vary from cat to cat. I also think in the long run it probably doesn't make a HUGE difference anyway.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117

Her weight is good. She seems to love her kitten food which is why I'm not too sure when or even if to make the switch. She seems to love this and am afraid she won't eat if I make the switch. Is there a difference like vitamin and nutrients wise in the two?
well, Iams isn't the best, nutrition-wise, but the difference i've seen is kitten food tends to be slightly higher in protein & fat.
compare these two: Iams adult
Iams kitten
only real difference i see is this:
adults - protein 33/fat 15
kittens - protein 34/fat 22