Thinking About Lizards....

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been considering for a while getting a long tailed skink or 2. I have some fish that died recently and figured i would trying something new. I have been searching google looking for exactly what i would need to care for a long tailed skink but i am not finding anything. I was wondering if anyone has these or knows anything about them. The were really just something cool i saw at petsmart. Until a few days ago i hadn't done any research. But now that i am I can't find anything. Any information would be awesome. Even if it is just links.... about my skinks :p hehe.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What size is the aquarium, if you're going to reuse it. Do want something you can hold? Or prefer a lizard that would be hardier and more forgiving were you to make any care mistakes?
How about listing some of the other expectations you may have for a pet lizard?

Edit: There you go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacertidae Look up that name more and you should find more information about where they're from. You can use that to somewhat help refine care.

http://www.ameyzoo.co.uk/Caresheets/...0caresheet.htm

Don't use any one care sheet. Keep researching. It does look like you will have a cricket eater, though. You will need to provide UVB lights. These are pricey and come in varying percentages of output.

Another thing to consider, these are likely wild caught lizards. They may have some trouble adjusting - may decide to go off food, and ideally should have a vet check (or at least a fecal check) for parasites.

Reptiles are generally not social animals. So if you get two you need to have a fairly large cage so they can avoid each other if need be. Male + male = fight, male + female = eggs, and female + female = still possible territory issues.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Even anoles need a pricey set up, minimum of $100-200 depending on how many you keep. Because they're arboreal and jump around a lot they need around 20gals per lizard -preferably a tall wire or mesh cage instead of an aquarium.

JavannaLynn, I forgot to ask. Do you have around $150+ you can invest in reptile supplies right now? If not, it's best to wait
reptiles are not a good impulse buy, it usually costs them their lives or the owner is left trying to quickly correct care when the reptile gets ill.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only things I can find:

Here's basic info I found on the long tailed skink.
http://www.ameyzoo.co.uk/Caresheets/...caresheet1.htm

And here's on skinks in general.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skink

Skink tails break off VERY easily, they are fast and shouldnt be handled unless you need to clean the tank.

Anoles are pricey and actually not good to begin with. I had them and even though they cost $5 each, there setup was well over $200. Not to mention alot of ones sold are wild caught, and full of parasites.

I'll look for more info.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they were my first reptiles (other then the box turtles which were outside) and I never had a problem - they lived and grew for a few years. I didn't have an elabrate setup and they were fine and healthy

IMO they are not that hard to keep.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anoles are hard to keep because of pricing is what I mean. If your not willing to buy a proper (and rather costly setup of about $250 that's N.Y. pricing anyway because its expensive here), they wont live long.

They are lizards that absolutely must have proper lighting, enclosure, and good nutrition. At least by me, anoles in pet stores are not in proper setups, and most have parasites here which make keeping them even more difficult since ours are imported, not captive bred. The pet store was reported but nothing was done.

They were my first reptile too.

Still looking for more info on the skinks though.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Depending on the aquarium she has and the sort of expectations for a pet lizard, I would suggest a nocternal gecko such as a leopard or african fat tailed. Easy to hold, don't seem to really mind it, plenty of information about their care, no lights needed - and best of all they're beginner level.

Any sort of gecko, excluding day geckos, really are a good starter. We even have a crested gecko breeder lurking around here somewhere, someone who would be a great source of information.