clipping/trimming cat claw's help!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, my youngest kitty Izzy, doesn't go outside. so that mean's, she doesn't get any concrete work to keep her claw's trimmed down. i've seen the clipper's am going to get, how much do you clip off? & can you suggest way's, of how to hold her whilst am doing it? i mean with Izzy, she's a Bengal. that mean's she's very active, & doesn't stay still. is it going to take two people? as in, one hold Izzy, & the other clip her claw's?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are active never stay still cats too, but they've learnt I mean business when it's nail clipping time and they'll sit on my lap for it.

You probably only need to do the front ones, just take off the sharp tip. I have to do the back also for shows, they like to lay down on the bed for those.

First few times you may need help, someone to hold her. Aim for just one or two nails to start until she's more used to it.

Some pics to help, if you need it http://www.cat-world.com.au/catclaws.htm

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait till she's sleepy and gently massage her feet. If she's comfortable with that push on a toe to make the claw extend and look at it. You'll see a pink part that should be about halfway the length of the claw, this is the quick.. you don't want to cut that, it will hurt your cat. You trim as much of the clear part of the nail up to that you can but still leave a little to protect it.
If you're still concern just start with taking the very tips off until you're more comfortable with clipping.

Two people would be more hassle for this then it's worth. She will lay in your lap, won't she? Does she ever roll over onto her side or back? If you can get her relaxed and sleepy in that position, it's perfect.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until you get used to doing this (trim/check once a week), then use a 2-person team
I train my cats to lay on their backs and prop them up in my lap with my legs crossed. I start kittens at 3-4 weeks old and they get done every week.

Just clip off the sharp tips. Most cats have white nails - look for the pink line running in the middle. You don't want to cut that - the cat's nail will bleed.

The more often you cut, the more the blood line will reseed and you won't cut into it.

BTW cats retract their nails so they do not wear them down on concrete like a dog would

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone's had good advice on nail cutting, but I just wanted to add that you can get a small container of styptic powder from your vet, and maybe some pet stores just in case you do cut the quick. It will stop the bleeding right away. You will be able to avoid it if you look for it and are careful, but you never know when your cat might jerk her paw at the last second or something like that. It also might be an option for you, if you're still unclear, to take her to the vet or a groomer one time and have them show you how to trim the nails.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

BTW cats retract their nails so they do not wear them down on concrete like a dog would
ooop's! my mistake sorry.

thank's everyone for the "much needed advice". i'll have a go with Izzy myself i think, she might think something's going on, if she see's both myself & Dan.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When they're not used to having their claws clipped from a young age, sometimes the best way to do it is just one claw at a time. We always did it when they were sleeping and we had treats ready. And we'd just do one claw every day.

But however you decide to go at it - I would have treats ready. It helps them come around quicker to not absolutely hating it.

Laurie

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank's. well, i got Izzy all settled & had a quick look at one of her claw's. i havn't clipped them yet, i just wanted to get a good look before i dive straight in & clip them. i think doing one claw at a time would be easier, for my first time & have treat's ready for her.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No it's not too late, my sister didn't start til her's were 1-6 years old. The oldest one was actually the easiest for her.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wrap my kitty up in a towel and clip her nails, one person job. I use small cat clippers. You can see the quick by looking, use a well lit area and be sure to have kitty treats to reward good behaviour. In fact, my small dog was giving me trouble and I started toweling the small dog too, works great

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just clipped my girls' claws while they were sleeping. I just did the very tips the first time. They didn't even know what I was doing..

I used my new fingernail clippers this time but will get some kitty claw clippers for next time.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

Well, I just clipped my girls' claws while they were sleeping. I just did the very tips the first time. They didn't even know what I was doing..

I used my new fingernail clippers this time but will get some kitty claw clippers for next time.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, we just use the larger toe-nail clippers for people. I hate those cat nail clippers that are in that circle - I find them really hard to work, it's hard for me to see around all that metal, and they definitely slowed me down!

Laurie

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH was against me doing this but now he is happy I did. My little girls are very active and since they are trimmed, we don't get clawed as much and it doesn't hurt.

He is all for it now.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Actually, we just use the larger toe-nail clippers for people. I hate those cat nail clippers that are in that circle - I find them really hard to work, it's hard for me to see around all that metal, and they definitely slowed me down!

Laurie
yeh, i wanted to give them a try!

Originally Posted by Catkiki

DH was against me doing this but now he is happy I did. My little girls are very active and since they are trimmed, we don't get clawed as much and it doesn't hurt.

He is all for it now.
when kitty's scratch, it really hurt's LOL!

Originally Posted by courtney_ou

cuticle nippers work well for me
i've never thought of that!