I just broke my toe

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup, it's official, toes are not supposed to point that way. I stubbed my toe (actually it was the 2nd time this evening) and now my toe is turned the wrong way. It's a little achy now but not too bad.

thezookeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Broken toes hurt!!!! The only bone I have ever broken is my toe, and I have broken 3 times. I hope your toe gets better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No. All they will do there is put a brace on it and XRay it to be sure it is broken even though it is fairly obvious so I am going to brace it myself and keep an eye on it. I just don't want to pay them for something I can do myself-- plus I know most of the people in the ER and I just don't want to let them look at my toe

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Thezookeeper

Broken toes hurt!!!! The only bone I have ever broken is my toe, and I have broken 3 times. I hope your toe gets better.
This is my 3rd broken toe too. The first 1 I broke twice within a week. Now that 1 was extremely painful!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch! Which toe is it? You may want to go to the ER to make sure it's broken and not dislocated. Dislocated, they can pop it back in but broken there isn't much they can do but tape it. I broke my little toe a few years ago and it didn't really get sore until the next day. Put ice on it to keep the swelling down, or a bag of frozen peas...they conform to the foot better than ice cubes. Hope you feel better soon!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's dislocated. It's my little toe on the left foot. Could be wrong about it being broken but I think at this point, I will just let it go. I deal with the Dr's that I would see in the ER everyday and I usually give them suggestions on what they should do with my patients and I think I am just better off staying home.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Owie, I'm sorry.
I may have broken a toe once but I'm not sure. I stubbed my middle toe on the coffee table leg really hard one day and it was sore for weeks. Ugggg, toe injuries are not fun.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But but but... if it's sticking out in the wrong direction, don't you have to... um... like yank on it really hard and painfully to put it back where it belongs? And won't that require major pharmaceuticals?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

But but but... if it's sticking out in the wrong direction, don't you have to... um... like yank on it really hard and painfully to put it back where it belongs? And won't that require major pharmaceuticals?
Not necesarily. I broke my toe once....went to ER....was drugged yet still felt everything....maxed out of drugs....they just straightened it out. Didn't hurt near as bad as breaking it did!

for a quick recovery!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Not necessarily. I have an extremly high pain tolerance when it comes to injuries like this. A woman I work with went to the ER not too long ago after rebreaking her toe and all they did was put a shoe type brace on her foot and took her off of work. I'll take some ibuprofin if I need to but at this point it's like a dull ache so it's not bad.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did that a few weeks ago - tripped over a cat on my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night! At first I thought it was just bruised, then broken and it didn't get better. I couldn't wear anything except slippers or wellington boots. Like you I didn't go to the doc as I did it once many years ago and all they did was strap it together, which is what I did. But one night last week I had taken the bandage off and unbelievably I banged it again on a door, and it immediately felt better. Now it is almost completely better. So I am pretty sure it was dislocated and I put it back the second time.

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick, someone call a toe-truck.
Sorry, lame family joke. I really hope your feeling better.

I've broken the toe on my right foot so many times I stopped counting. One of the most memorable times was in Key West. I don't know how it happened but a bar stoll jumped out and tripped me.
My SO and I had planned to go snorkeling for the first time ever the following day but it wasn't happening. I could barely walk let alone swim or put a flipper on.