What color is Olive?

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is Olive. She is 7 weeks pregnant now. I was just wondering what color she is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Here are more pics of her that I just took. I tried to make her stay still with food.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

Olive is very pretty!
She looks like a silver tabby in her photo.
i'd say silver tabby & white. a lot like my Cable, except Cable doesn't have the white belly or paws.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, silver tabby with white

she is beautiful

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silver mactabby and white. The weird thing is that on silvers the eye color is supposed to be vivid green - not gold

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cat is so beautiful! Very pretty markings.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. When she was a baby and I saw her I just had to have her she was just so precious. Sophie is her sister. Just wondering the daddy of her babies was blue I believe. What could the outcome be?

As a kitten Sophie and Olive

One I took a few minutes ago. lol

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

Thanks guys. When she was a baby and I saw her I just had to have her she was just so precious. Sophie is her sister. Just wondering the daddy of her babies was blue I believe. What could the outcome be?
according to the kitten color predictor, this is the outcome: boys - black/blue/black tabby/blue tabby/seal point/blue point/seal lynx point/blue lynx point
girls - same
but since Sophie's a tricolor, i bet you could have one of those, too.
also, didn't have a 'silver' tabby - just black or blue.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was asking here because her color wasn't on the kitten color predictor. Is the silver tabby a dilute color?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I was asking here because her color wasn't on the kitten color predictor. Is the silver tabby a dilute color?
not to my knowledge. check here: messy beast
this is what i found there:
Silver tabby is caused by the presence of the dominant Inhibitor gene. Silver tabbies have a silvery background colour with a tabby pattern overlaid on it. Silver tabbies in the random breeding population are prone to tarnishing - the appearance of a yellowish or rusty hue. The Inhibitor gene seems eliminate the yellow pigment in the ticked hairs of the background colour, but does not affect the solid coloured areas (the markings).
Silver Tabby
silver base, black markings, aka Black Silver Tabby. Silver Tabbies with coloured markings on a silvery background are called Blue Silver, Red Silver (aka Cameo Tabby) etc.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silver is not a dilute of any color - the gold/silver gene is totally separate. If the dad is a blue, you can get blue-silvers. Some breeds have that; maine coons, wegies, and ocicats.

I'm still learning about the Oci colors as its a little different since you are blending in ruddy/red (but not true red), cinnamon, blue, fawn, chocolates from the 4 Siamese colors and the Aby colors. Then you throw in the silver gene to create more colors.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This genetics stuff is so interesting. If Olive has a longhaired silver tabby kitten or longhaired blue kitten I might just have to keep it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only way to get a longhair is if she's a carrier (recessive) and dad is a longhair or also carrys it
Its unlikely she will produce a silver. Usually you only get it when both are carriers or show it.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dad was a blue longhair.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This genetics stuff is so interesting. If Olive has a longhaired silver tabby kitten or longhaired blue kitten I might just have to keep it.
The longhair gene is recessive - in order for a cat to be longhair they have to have BOTH genes (homozygous) to show it. So even when a longhair queen has kittens, you can not get a longhair cat unless the dad was at_least a carrier of the gene. Although... all their offspring would then be guaranteed to be carriers.

You said you think the dad may be blue. Do you happen to notice his coat length?

I love blue cats too! Hehehe... I love a lot of colors - lol But I have a special place for blues. We had a long-haired blue polydactyl, Mufasa, that passed on about 6 years ago. He was one of the best cats ever!

Good luck with Olive's babies. Cant wait to see them too!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dad was a blue longhair.
Hehehe - you posted as I was still typing.

If the dad is a longhair, Olive will have to be a carrier of the long-hair gene in order to get any long-haired kittens. Do you know what Olive's parents were?

Did Sophie's kittens have the same dad?

It will be interesting to see what you get! If there is a long-hair - you will know she is a carrier. Not that you'll be breeding her again... but fun to know.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Silver is not a dilute of any color - the gold/silver gene is totally separate. If the dad is a blue, you can get blue-silvers. Some breeds have that; maine coons, wegies, and ocicats.

I'm still learning about the Oci colors as its a little different since you are blending in ruddy/red (but not true red), cinnamon, blue, fawn, chocolates from the 4 Siamese colors and the Aby colors. Then you throw in the silver gene to create more colors.
GoldenKitty, I'm a huge genetics buff myself - but only virtually. Can you tell me how do you tell the difference between a silver tabby and a blue tabby? How can you tell that Olive is silver and not just blue? I was trying to get some [quick] explanations online, but I only ran across something briefly about undercoat and hairbanding.