Arthritis Question

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beauty has got arthritis, I took her down the vets a couple of days ago.

The vet said that if she'll take it to give her cod liver oil. She isn't taking it, not even in tuna and she loooves tuna!

At the moment it isn't serious, but I was wondering if any one has any advice on how to make things easier for her - she seems rather stiff in her back legs today (the arthritis is in her hips and down her back)

2 days ago the vet said she's healthy except for the arthritis. Is there anything I could do to help her today? She seemed to be OK yesterday, except not eating much, due to the injection she had.

The vet didn't mention any special care she'd need and I think if she needed anything else he would have said!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll phone them up again today and see if they can do anything to help her.

Or I could pop round and ask because I'll be up that way this afternoon?

If it stops raining!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no expertise or experience with feline arthritis but do agree with the above post....
if you have questions, it is essential that you talk to your vet, so that you can find an alternative to the Cod Liver oil.

Beauty.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
For Much, we've had good luck with Cosequin which is a glucosamine supplement. Our vet has us also adding fish oil (not cod liver oil) to her wet food and we haven't had a problem with her eating it.

Something else that works is that I give her light massages in her shoulder where her arthritis is the worst. Just lightly rub the muscles for a few minutes a day.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you pill her? You can get capsules that have cod liver oil. Zek is on 3V caps for an allergy, and I give them as I would any pills, following the capsule with food/water to ensure it makes its way to the stomach. When I tried the first and only time to give him the oil in his food, he ran from the room, drooling all the way.

Also, have you considered glucosamine supplements? There are several out there that are made to be palatable for cats, and they can help.

Sometimes heat can help soothe the area. Providing a heating pad on low or a heated cat bed can help.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco has arthritis. How old is your Cat? She has it pretty bad and last Nov she hissed at me because the pain was bad. She is 16. She got a Shot for the pain then and has pain Meds if needed. I found out Coco had arthritis when she was 12. No one ever told me about cod liver before but its in the stuff for her Constipation. I hope your Cat feels better.

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Can you pill her? You can get capsules that have cod liver oil. Zek is on 3V caps for an allergy, and I give them as I would any pills, following the capsule with food/water to ensure it makes its way to the stomach. When I tried the first and only time to give him the oil in his food, he ran from the room, drooling all the way.

Also, have you considered glucosamine supplements? There are several out there that are made to be palatable for cats, and they can help.

Sometimes heat can help soothe the area. Providing a heating pad on low or a heated cat bed can help.
I could try pilling her! Whether she'd take it or not is another matter!

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Coco has arthritis. How old is your Cat? She has it pretty bad and last Nov she hissed at me because the pain was bad. She is 16. She got a Shot for the pain then and has pain Meds if needed. I found out Coco had arthritis when she was 12. No one ever told me about cod liver before but its in the stuff for her Constipation. I hope your Cat feels better.
According to the rescue centre she was 8 when she came in so she's at least nine now! If not 10!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Callie has arthritis and she does well with Cosequin. She also has a pet heating pad in her beds (one in our bedroom, one in the living room) that I leave on for her especially during the cold months. Otherwise, I leave out towels and blankets for her to sleep on to help keep her warm.

Stephanie

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried Duralactin? My vet suggested that plus fatty acids (we'll be using the 3V HP caps that I already have) to help with Odo's arthritis.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyone near you who is knowledgable in Veterinary Accupuncture? My vet is a certified veterinary accupuncturist, and treats many arthritis patients. She's a personal friend, and has done accupuncture on me for my headaches (it works!) There are heating pads you can buy, that are specially designed for pets (heat to 102 degrees F) that are wonderful for arthritic pets. You can try putting the cod liver oil in gel caps, to pill her, if she won't take it mixed in her food. Good luck!