My Cat defacating outside box

tt+precious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl, Precious is a Main Coon, 12 years old and weighs 19 pds, and she has been having a problem with defacating outside the box..... She would defacate on my Persian rug in the living room, so I took her to the vet. It seems that she has arthritis in her lower spine, and has what is called mega colon. So I moved another litter box into the living room and put heavy painters plastic over my Persian rug. She was using the livingroom box for a good long time, so I took the plastic off the rug, and woke up 2 weeks later to find feces on the Persian rug. So I covered it back up....Now when I wake up in the morning I find she has defacated on the painters plastic and just ouside her box. What should I do now ????? ( This is only defacation, she always urinates in the box)

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tt+precious

So I covered it back up
You need to use an enzyme cleaner on the rug/carpet to get rid of the odor. Covering the spot with plastic will not help.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

You need to use an enzyme cleaner on the rug/carpet to get rid of the odor. Covering the spot with plastic will not help.
Do cats use the odor from their excrement to mark good spots for #1/#2?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

Do cats use the odor from their excrement to mark good spots for #1/#2?
Generally urine or excrement is a territorial marking. If it is outside the comfort zone (litter box or area commonly used) could be from several different reasons. The most common is dirty litter, over shared litter. Two or more kitties-two or more litter boxes. Daily scoop cleaning, it's like flushing their toilet!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tt+precious

My girl, Precious is a Main Coon, 12 years old and weighs 19 pds, and she has been having a problem with defacating outside the box..... She would defacate on my Persian rug in the living room, so I took her to the vet. It seems that she has arthritis in her lower spine, and has what is called mega colon. So I moved another litter box into the living room and put heavy painters plastic over my Persian rug. She was using the livingroom box for a good long time, so I took the plastic off the rug, and woke up 2 weeks later to find feces on the Persian rug. So I covered it back up....Now when I wake up in the morning I find she has defacated on the painters plastic and just ouside her box. What should I do now ????? ( This is only defacation, she always urinates in the box)
1) use an enzyme cleaner on the spot on the rug. You must do this, even if it smells fine to you.

2) make sure the box is large enough. Sometimes Matilda (who is large) is in her box but she hangs over it so the result is some poop right outside the litter box. Easy problem to fix.

3) make sure the box is always clean. Scoop 2x a day. It's good that you added a 2nd box.

4) Is she on pain medication for the arthritis? (I don't know anything about arthritis, especially not for cats). Maybe walking is painful for her and she just can't make it to the litter box in time?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can do all of the above and its just the cat. My one cornish rex would do the same exact thing. She would pee in the box, but poop on the rug. Didn't matter what I did, she did it as an only cat, and in a group.

The only thing that made her change was when the litter pan was on tile or non-carpet surface - then she would use the pan for both! But put the pan on a rug or carpet, and she would go back to using the rug instead.

No one had any suggestions that worked and I asked numerous times - even to "cat experts" at the shows.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
feliway and cat attract are what i had to use for my kitty. chloe has no probs but patchy --- OY! if i didnt love her so much id sell her to the chinese restaurant jk jk