multiple cats and feline pine scoop?

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How easy did everyones cats take to this and how good is odor control..using special kitty crystal blend scoop for 19 of my 23...about 90 lbs a week. thanks so uch
RJ

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ryanjay

How easy did everyones cats take to this and how good is odor control..using special kitty crystal blend scoop for 19 of my 23...about 90 lbs a week. thanks so uch
RJ
Hey RJ - This is the first week I'm trying FP Scoop - I only have 2 cats. They seem okay with the change. ......Based on FP Scoop's very good clumping ability I have a feeling it's going to be more $economical$ for me over Tidy Cats but the odor control is only half as good as TC. Just my opinion. The reason why I used TC for years is because TC's odor control is unsurpassed. However I'm not sure what my final decision will be. Good luck.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had used WBCL for a long time and it had great odor control (but it was very pricey). I've had to switch to FP scoop due to a possible corn allergy in one of my cats.

That said, IMO the FP scoop does a pretty good job on odors. Especially urin odor. Poo- not so much, but that can be said for most litters.

The only bad thing about it is that it tends to track and gets stuck in the cats' hair...so if you have LH cats, you might not like it (my black SH comes out of the box with a sawdust "mask" from time to time).

Art

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

The only bad thing about it is that it tends to track and gets stuck in the cats' hair...so if you have LH cats, you might not like it (my black SH comes out of the box with a sawdust "mask" from time to time).
Yeah Art, sawdust is a good metaphor for FPScoop - It's fine and fluffy and someone could easily mistake it for sawdust........ However I predict I won't be purchasing FPScoop any longer. My main reason is explained below:

Originally Posted by artgecko

That said, IMO the FP scoop does a pretty good job on odors. Especially urin odor. Poo- not so much, but that can be said for most litters.
I respectfully disagree - the odor control of Tidy Cats is, in my opinion, above par. I was willing to pay 90 cents a day for TC and now I remember why and by golly I'm going back. It's either save a few cents or live with stink. The choice for me is super easy! LOL. But I still hate the way TC doesn't clump. What a crumbly mess. In fact TC is ssooo crumbly that I actually had to buy a new litter scoop and then duct tape the slots to make it into a "shovel" (and that's wasteful because some clean litter always gets tossed out with soiled litter)

Or maybe I can "mix" litters but that might be a big hassle. Anyone ever "mix" litters to get the best of 2 worlds?

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I should have been more specific...I meant its' odor controlling ability was good compared with other natural/non-clay litters... IMO, even with really good clumping clays, a fresh pile of poo is still going to stink. Of course, I feed EVO dry, so I think that makes for unusually stinky poo

That said, have you tried scoop away? That brand seems to clump really well while still doing a good job on odor. It is rather dusty though. It is a little less expensive IME than tidy cats, but not sure how it would be cost-wise in your area. Also, the petco gold cat litter is pretty good too.

Art

highnote

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not have any luck using feline pine with multiple cats. Too much tracking/mess!

I use world's best EXTRA STRENGTH (don't like the regular) and I love it. They have a program where you can save/mail in your UPC's and get great coupons for new bags.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cats hated feline pine and the way it turned to mush (so did i!) special kitty wasnt strong enough odor control-wise for us. i liked the one made out of newspaper (i cant think of the name) and right now im using one i got at walmart. its made from pine; its almost like sawdust. its clumping and comes in a light purple 10lb ziploc bag. it has realy good odor control and lasts a lot longer than feline pine did (at least for us)

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by highnote

I did not have any luck using feline pine with multiple cats. Too much tracking/mess!

I use world's best EXTRA STRENGTH (don't like the regular) and I love it. They have a program where you can save/mail in your UPC's and get great coupons for new bags.
That's cool. Personally I frown upon the price of both WBCL's (without the coupons - just heard of coupons just now through you) but I have to admit it's a pretty darn good product --especially the extra strength

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it's been about a week and my guesstimate for what I paid for FP Scoop is about 50 cents a day. Lots of tracking. I won't buy it again. Too much stink imho.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i forgot to mention the 10lb bag of pine litter costs me about 6.50 but thats in SE OK. im sure its higher elsewhere. oh ya, it lasts around 2 weeks, depending on how much chloe kicks out (she was a rockette in a former life
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree to much of a waste for more then a few cats...its really not a bad litter per say but mine thought more of rolling in it then to actually use it till i mixed in some special kitty crysatl blend litter.