Is my cat neutered?

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a cat from the sheltered and supposedly (according to the shelter and their health record for the cat) he is neutered a month ago. Today however, I observed him engaging in what seems like sexual activity with a doll dog. At first I wasn't sure whether he's attacking the "dog" or trying to pleasure himself, but a moment later, the cat finished with whatever he was doing, and proceeded to lick his private area. His penis and testis seem intact. He also meowed right after this "sex encounter". He has never meowed since arriving in my house.
I don't understand, do neutered cats continue to have sex or was he not neuterer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there visible sign that you can observe to see if a cat is neutered?

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i kno that for a while after my cat was neutered he still looked intact, but now he doesnt. i was actually kinda mad that i could still see his balls when i picked him up after it was done. but i could tell that he did have surgery, i could see the incision. not to mention his drowsiness. but at that time i thought they just cut them off and stitched him back up, bc thats what they did to the dog, since he has no balls. then i realized that they must do the feline equivalent of a vasectomy, or something. but i honestly cant tell you if he is or not, Monster has never humped anything before or after his neuter. but i can tell you this, most shelters s/n before adopting any animals out. they dont need anymore animals crowding the shelters.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

When Yoshi was fixed I never saw his balls after it was done.
i can't see Chip's either. 'course, he is all black back there, so it's difficult to distinguish anything...

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I emailed the shelter and they told me when neutering the vet took out his testicles but left the "sack" intact, and if I feel his scrotum, I should see that they are empty.
I will go ahead and do that when I have time.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

I emailed the shelter and they told me when neutering the vet took out his testicles but left the "sack" intact, and if I feel his scrotum, I should see that they are empty.
I will go ahead and do that when I have time.
i don't think my Chip would like it if i did that!

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i don't think my Chip would like it if i did that!
I have never felt cat testicles before, so I actually don't know whether his sack is actually empty.

when I touched it, his sac was sort of soft.

catwoman_2669

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if he was still intact it would feel like little boiled eggs being in there
thats the only way i can explain it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You ladies know this thread is...somehow...discomforting?

But I agree that feeling the sack is the only way to be fairly sure. If you have any doubt, have a vet give him a quick check.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catwoman_2669

if he was still intact it would feel like little boiled eggs being in there
thats the only way i can explain it.
I think he's fixed them. When I felt him down there, there was nothing like boiled egg.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Haha, I love this thread, sorry that's weird lol... but my Oliver is fixed but doesnt look it!
He even fooled a vet who was new at the practice I took him to up at school and didn't take notice to the notation on the chart... I said "have a feel" and then she realized lol... it all depends on the vet who does it really, there are just some different techniques... Ollie *thinks* he still has balls and likes to *ahem* show them off when walking across the desk in front of your face haha... I just look at him and say "yeah yeah what you don't know is that's empty back there"... you would DEFINITELY know upon feeling if he was still in tact - boiled eggs is a good way to describe the feel lol... I kinda like the technique of leaving the scrotum - kinda seems like he's a little less humiliated than other fixed male pets I've encountered haha... I've even seen that they make "testical implants" for animals of all sizes (cats/dogs/horses/etc) - I'm not really sure if they're for showing purposes or what, but I ROLLED on the floor when I saw it, then laughed even harded when I saw the prices and the fact that there are different "firmnesses"...

Soooo long story short, sounds like your kitty is fixed, but yes they can still perform those actions for a little while afterwards

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seb has never been one to hump but it sounds like your boy is all normal. I have heard of some members here allowing their cats to have a special ummm romance pillow or toy.

Seb still has his "containers", too. I think the vet who fixed him was impressed with his "stuff" - said he had rarely seen any so big and it would take Seb a bit longer than normal to lose his testosterone. Talk about feeling uncomfy
Vet's all kinds of impressed with my boy's jewels - sheesh! I just kinda mumbled and got outta there

Sorry for the guys - this thread has to tickle a bit!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

I think he's fixed them. When I felt him down there, there was nothing like boiled egg.
Well...they'd be pretty small eggs!

"Little accidents" have been known to happen, however. The two most common are an undescended testicle, and the vet leaving a little piece of a testicle behind.

It may be a good idea to have him checked over by your own vet. You know, like you'd take a used car to your own mechanic to have it checked over!

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness this thread is funny! especially with the squirming that mrblanche must be doing!

both my boys have the packaging but not the contents. milo has once shown some 'interest' but that was in shinobi and was quite unreciprocated!

i have to say that although i can see that they are quite obviously boys, there is a marked difference between how they looked with and without contents.

as already mentioned in this thread, see your vet if you want reassurance.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington and Bonaparte were done by different vets, in different countries. Wellington still looks like he is intact, but there is nothing there when you feel him. However he does indulge in humping behaviour sometimes, two years later, whether it be his playmate Biscotte, my leg or a toy bunny..
Bonaparte was done here in France, has nothing behind him to look at and there is no inappropriate behaviour. So I guess all I am trying to say is, every cat is different and some do continue. Often it is associated with distress or fear.