Flying for the first time...advice is appreciated!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it turns out that flights are the same price as the train to come back from Ottawa..so considering flying is like an hour compared to 8 hours on the train..I think I will fly.

I am terrified though and I know there are all these rules and crazy things at airports...can you guys help meeeeeeeeeee?

Thanks!

P.S. did I mention I am terrified?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't flown for quite some time, so I know others will be more current than I am. That said - I know that bottles with things in them cannot be carried on the plane, they have to be in your baggage that gets checked. Same thing with like nail kits & stuff like that.

They don't let Gary's mom even carried bottled water on the plane! But make sure you drink lots of liquids. It sounds like a short flight, but the cabin air can be very dehydrating. Also, wear comfortable shoes. Again, it's a short flight so I don't think this will be a problem, but the air cabin pressure can make your feet swell up a little bit, so go for comfort, not for style.

Flying is more safe than driving. You may love it!

Laurie

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bring an empty water bottle to fill with water once you pass security

leave everything in your check in bag unless you absolutely need it during that hour of flight. bring your own music hehe.

oh and wear layers. sometimes the planes are freezing, sometimes you could pass out from the heat.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bottles with liquid have to be 3 oz. or less in carry ons. I wouldn't bring liquids in checked luggage - I've had stuff leak because of the pressure, and it makes a mess.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two words.... Red Wine. That always helps me.

Also, check out the airline's web page they should be able to tell you what you can and can't bring.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isabel

Bottles with liquid have to be 3 oz. or less in carry ons. I wouldn't bring liquids in checked luggage - I've had stuff leak because of the pressure, and it makes a mess.
i bag any liquids in ziploc baggies then a grocery bag in case of leakage.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Nat! The best thing to do is check on the airline's website for restrictions. As far as the flying goes....don't worry!! There are bound to be some funny noises and a few bumps along the way but your pilots will be some of the best trained pilots in the world and the airplanes are well maintained
You'll probably be flown by one of my friends
They'll take care of you!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are anything like me you'll love it. I would fly every chance I get. My BIL had his private license and occasionally I would be lucky enough to get a "ride" but it's been awhile now and I miss it.

Tracy is quite right - check the webpage for the airline - you'll get any info you need there.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Hey Nat! The best thing to do is check on the airline's website for restrictions. As far as the flying goes....don't worry!! There are bound to be some funny noises and a few bumps along the way but your pilots will be some of the best trained pilots in the world and the airplanes are well maintained
Yeah Nat listen to Tracy, she knows
It still blows my mind you fly Tracy your so little and pretty

Nat you will be fine, bring something to read to distract you too and maybe some gum in case your ears plug up.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe mentioned your fears to the flight attendent - he/she can probably help you the most if they are aware of your fears.

The worse part is take off and landing - with the "ear popping". Once in the air - its like a bus ride. Cool thing is that you are above the clouds and its an awesome sight. I've flown lots and I still am thrilled at the scenary in the air

Take plenty of chewing gum and use it when you take off and land

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A one-hour flight is nothing. Put all your toiletries, liquid, gel, or cream make-up, like lip gloss or mascara, in your checked bag(s), and anything "sharp" like a metal nail file or tweezers. I'm not sure about Canada, but the U.S. doesn't allow you to lock your luggage unless you have special TSA-approved locks, so check that out. The worst part about flying is having to get to the airport so early because of security checks.

Wearing layers is a good tip, as it always seems to be too hot or too cold. Oh, and make sure you have some gum, as otherwise your ears may "pop" on take-off or landing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Awww, how cool! I'll ask if they know you
I am flying Air Canada on the cheapy Tango fare.

Air pockets scare me though..I have heard about them..and I might actually puke if I go through one
I am so scared of heights!

Thanks Tracy!

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it helps, flying is nothing like being on the roof of a skyscraper. The windows are so tiny and thick, and you go so high that it feels unreal, its almost like you're seeing it on TV. I've always felt very safe when flying, and I freaked out when I had to walk over the glass floor in the Eiffel Tower.
I can manage turbulence too and I loathe roller-coaster rides of practically any description. I used to hate my ears popping, but I always bring chewy sweets and it really helps...
The one thing I really really hate is aeroplane toilets. I'm terrified of getting stuck to the seats. Or being sucked into the toilet bowl or something
I flew to India (over 8 hours in the air) and I held it the whole way... I just realised I'm such a wimp

Good luck! Bring lots of magazines/a really interesting book to take your mind off of it.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might want to buy a tube of Dramamine. They're small pills that combat motion sickness and are taken about an hour before takeoff. I once was on a very turbulent flight and got sick very soon after landing. I hadn't heard of Dramamine at that point. Now I don't fly without it and, while I haven't experienced a flight quite like that one, I've never even come close to getting sick again.

Also be sure to go to the bathroom before boarding. You do not want to use the on-board bathrooms if you can help it. But since your flight is so short this likely won't be an issue.

Good luck --- I'm sure it'll be fine.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The firts of all..."DON´T GET NERVOUS"!....

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
For a safe trip!..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

You might want to buy a tube of Dramamine. They're small pills that combat motion sickness and are taken about an hour before takeoff. I once was on a very turbulent flight and got sick very soon after landing. I hadn't heard of Dramamine at that point. Now I don't fly without it and, while I haven't experienced a flight quite like that one, I've never even come close to getting sick again.
added plus - unless you get the 'non-drowsy' formula, the dramamine has a tendency to make you sleepy.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Yeah Nat listen to Tracy, she knows
It still blows my mind you fly Tracy your so little and pretty

Nat you will be fine, bring something to read to distract you too and maybe some gum in case your ears plug up.
You're such a sweetheart Helen!

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awww, how cool! I'll ask if they know you
I am flying Air Canada on the cheapy Tango fare.

Air pockets scare me though..I have heard about them..and I might actually puke if I go through one
I am so scared of heights!

Thanks Tracy!
I know a couple of guys that work for AC but they have thousands of employees so who knows. Don't worry about the fear of heights thing though, it's not the same as being in a tall building or standing on a ladder. If it makes you feel any better....I'm afraid of heights too!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending lots of "happy flying" vibes
I was afraid of heights, roller coasters, when I first flew, so I read an article on how wings work - lift & thrust vs. Drag, and it really helped.
Also, check out this website: www.flytecomm.com. You can find information on flights, including exactly where the plane is in relation to the ground, its altitude & speed, if it's on time, how long before landing, etc. Your family can track your flight, which adds interest. It's great for anxious parents flying unaccompanied children, too

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

i bag any liquids in ziploc baggies then a grocery bag in case of leakage.
That is what I do, but on one flight I had a thing of lotion leak all over the other stuff I had in the ziplock - ugh. I will not bring shampoo, conditioner or lotion in checked again - or at least not those things brand new and full. I'd rather buy the stuff when I get there than deal with that mess again.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I travelled a great deal for business mostly coast-to-coast. Everyone's advice is good.
My

For a 1 hour flight, I would try to check everything. Chances of the luggage being lost are really minimal.
That being said, you still need to think about what you cannot live without for a day. In your carry on bag, carry on underwear in case you bags are lost. Place all your meds in a carry on. Putting them in a ZipLoc bag makes it easy for you and the security personnel. Take a disposable toothbrush and a little size of toothpaste and a travel size deodorant.
Definitely call the AC about the water bottle regulations.
If your seats turn out to be the emergency exit seats, please change them because it is your first flight.
Layers are good. I know that you are in Canada, but it is easier to go thru security if you are not wearing sneakers or anything with a heal. Flip flops are great. If you can change into them in the terminal and put your other shoes in your carrying on, the schools will be scanned in the bag. You can change back before you are on board.
Layers, layers, layers! Definitely.
Bring your own food if you can.

Have a great trip!