Petition emails

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aside from the fact that they rarely have the impact we would like, can someone please tell me how sending a petition to "everyone in your address book" can help? I mean if I am number 898, everyone I send it to is going to be number 899, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I just delete them.
I understand that, but a lot of people pass them on in hopes that it will make a difference. Otherwise I wouldn't get so many that hundreds of people have already signed.

I'm just curious why anyone would think that the signatures will grow quicker by sending the same email to several people.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I just delete them.
Ditto!

An excellent way to put yourself at risk for a virus is to send and receive "forward" emails. Why? Well, let's say that you received an email from someone who had sent it to 20 people. She not only sent the email to 20 people, but she also sent your email address to them too. Now if each of those 20 people clicked "FORWARD" and sent that email off to 20 people each, that means your email was sent off to a whopping 400 strangers all within seconds.

Many people do not delete their sent or deleted emails, which means that emails remain within your email program and on your computer. Also, some have their emails set to add email address from received emails, to their address book automatically.

All it takes is one infected computer in that chain of forwarded emails to be infected. The virus on the infected computer looks to the sent, deleted, draft and address book for email address and "spoofs" an email and sends it out automatically without the person even being aware of it being done.

If you absolutely need to send an email to more than one person at a time IE: dinner invitation, then be courteous and use BCC for the 2nd and subsequent recipients. BCC stands for "Blind Carbon Copy", which means that the email addresses will not show up on other peoples' computers because it's hidden.

How to send BCC emails using Outlook Express:

Instructions for sending BCC emails using a variety of email clients

Unfortunately for those being spammed with emails containing viruses and worms, there is no relief until the person who's computer is infected does a virus scan and gets rid of the offending virus/worm.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ditto!

An excellent way to put yourself at risk for a virus is to send and receive "forward" emails. Why? Well, let's say that you received an email from someone who had sent it to 20 people. She not only sent the email to 20 people, but she also sent your email address to them too. Now if each of those 20 people clicked "FORWARD" and sent that email off to 20 people each, that means your email was sent off to a whopping 400 strangers all within seconds.

Many people do not delete their sent or deleted emails, which means that emails remain within your email program and on your computer. Also, some have their emails set to add email address from received emails, to their address book automatically.

All it takes is one infected computer in that chain of forwarded emails to be infected. The virus on the infected computer looks to the sent, deleted, draft and address book for email address and "spoofs" an email and sends it out automatically without the person even being aware of it being done.

If you absolutely need to send an email to more than one person at a time IE: dinner invitation, then be courteous and use BCC for the 2nd and subsequent recipients. BCC stands for "Blind Carbon Copy", which means that the email addresses will not show up on other peoples' computers because it's hidden.

How to send BCC emails using Outlook Express:

Instructions for sending BCC emails using a variety of email clients

Unfortunately for those being spammed with emails containing viruses and worms, there is no relief until the person who's computer is infected does a virus scan and gets rid of the offending virus/worm.
well said!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. These days, people with a genuine cause can easily put their petitions up online at a place like thepetitionsite.com, rather than mail them.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you all, but that was not what I asked.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Aside from the fact that they rarely have the impact we would like, can someone please tell me how sending a petition to "everyone in your address book" can help? I mean if I am number 898, everyone I send it to is going to be number 899, right?
It CAN'T help, and yes, you are correct.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Gingersmom! And now --- how do I tell the world? It amazes me that I receive so many of these. People who normally have some common sense must think that email is magic.

I started this thread out of frustration from petitions, but it is a pimple on my butt compared to how I feel about chain emails!