I've been needing to start this thread for a while...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in a world filled with cubicles. This land also has microwaves. It's Lent. All if this is going to come together in just a moment so just hold on....

Why, for all that is great and good, do people MICROWAVE FISH in a break room microwave when a well ventilated area is less than a thousand yards away?

I hate fried fish. I hate the smell of re-warmed fried fish.

I swear, people are going to get a passive aggressive note if this keeps up.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe if you put a clip on your nose they would get the hint?

(Had to do it.
)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
fish does have a way of permeating the whole office, doesn't it?
I love fish in all its forms, but re-heated fish is nasty

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were talking about this the other day at work. Someone, once a week, uses the microwave to reheat/cook fish. It really stinks up the whole office. We haven't figured out (caught) the person but I feel sorry when that day happens. There might be some hard feelings released on that day.

I
each time I smell it.

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel...I have that problem at work too...at least i'm no longer near the lunch room....
so someone else gets to smell it.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, microwaved fish is too pungent for the office. That is one of my pet peeves, when people heat up STINKY foods in the office microwave.
In our old office, we had a sign asking to please use the microwave down the hall for strong-smelling foods.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad you can't take the kitties into work...they would be all over those people.
"Don't want my cats all over you? Stop microwaving FISH!"

But, since that isn't really doable, I think an anonymous note on the microwave, or in the vicinity, could do wonders.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I would be guilty of that. Sometimes if we have left over fried fish or some fish/noodles, I'll bring it into work for lunch and warm it up.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't even like the smell of fresh cooked fish. I feel your stinky pain.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

That's just nasty. Microwaved fish is gross.
I like fish, but not reheated!
Thats awful!

Once you find out who it is, make sure you find out what their least favorite strong smelling food is, and bring it in a few times a week just to bother them.
Payback

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thats awful!

Once you find out who it is, make sure you find out what their least favorite strong smelling food is, and bring it in a few times a week just to bother them.
Payback

love it!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people just have no sense! There are just some things you really shouldn't take to the office an microwave. Fish is one, popcorn is another, and anything with cheese that smells like dirty socks is another.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why just an anonymous note? Make a nice, official-looking sign on your computer, print it, mount it on cardboard, and double-stick-tape it to the microwave:

Please
as a courtesy to others
DO NOT USE THIS OVEN FOR FISH
OR OTHER STRONG-SMELLING FOODS.

(You could add directions to the appropriate place for those foods, too.)

So the sign will just appear out of nowhere, and nobody will know it isn't an official pronouncement from on high.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the annonmyous note is a great idea. Fortunately I have never had to smell fish being re-heated in the microwave. I have however had to smell burnt popcorn. I worked somewhere where my workspace was in the basement and someone burnt popcorn so bad they killed the microwve. The whole office smelled terrible I had to go outside to get fresh air so I would not get sick at my desk.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many lunch rooms do you have? I work for a company that has over 800 employees and only 1 lunch room....with one microwave
. Don't ask, I don't understand it myself.

If you only have one lunch room, then honestly Idon't think you can tell people to not put fish in the microwave. How can you regulate what people eat? If you have a lunch room away from the office, you can "request" that people use that one, but what is offensive to you may not be offensive to someone else. I hate the smell of chinese food. Should everyone that wants to eat Chinese food have to eat in another room?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh... I got the impression that there is another microwave somewhere, in that "well-ventilated area" she mentioned. If there isn't, then you're right...

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I work in a world filled with cubicles. This land also has microwaves. It's Lent. All if this is going to come together in just a moment so just hold on....

Why, for all that is great and good, do people MICROWAVE FISH in a break room microwave when a well ventilated area is less than a thousand yards away?

I hate fried fish. I hate the smell of re-warmed fried fish.

I swear, people are going to get a passive aggressive note if this keeps up.
Do you work where I work? I also work in a world filled with cubicles, and just today, during a meeting, we were discussing people microwaving fish! It is disgusting!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This time of the year we get it more often than other times... Lent and all that.

I really don't mind it.

Yeah, it's a nasty smell, but if I didn't get upset with the pig's feet and cow's tongue my friend eats, I can't fault people fish.