SO tired of BARFING!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Between my husband and I, we have cleaned up Jack barf 9 times since yesterday. He barf's pretty much after every meal. He eats Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Indoor Kitten.
We live in an apartment, I cannot have him continue to barf, although I have cleaned up the floor after him as soon as possible every time so it would not stain.
The vet said to put walnuts in his bowl.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
go to the reg natural choice he may like many cats be sensitive with soy... raise the dish and use a plate will also slow him down which is what the vet is saying with the walnut

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That food also made Ginger vomit after eating - definitely switch foods.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put walnuts in his bowl!?!
I think your vet should have come up with a better answer than that.

Vomiting 9 times in one day is excessive. Your kitten will be dehydrated from so much vomiting so make sure he is still drinking water. Dehydration makes cats feel terrible and if not remedied, is a dangerous condition.

Put Jack on a bland diet of plain white meat chicken (NO skin) cut up in bite sized pieces. Try this for at least a day or two. If he continues to vomit, he needs to go to a vet ASAP - preferably a different one than the guy who gave you the walnut suggestion.

Please let us know how Jack's doing. Hope your handsome little guy feels better soon.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do the walnuts do?

It kind of sounds like since it's after every meal, that he might just be eating too fast? Or I wonder if he is sick? That is really excessive. For Matilda it's only 1x a day or every other day. She's gone maybe 2-3 without throwing up recently.

Ever since I switched Matilda from Nutro Natural Indoor Dry to Natural Balance Green Pea & Duck Dry, she vomits all the time. I did a very slow switch with the food too. I don't know why this is. It might be a hairball issue, she's had more hairballs on the new food (the Nutro stuff has hairball prevention ingredients) or it could just be that she's shedding more and grooming more now that it's getting warmer. (She has very long hair). I really want to switch her back to the Nutro but I've had her on this allergy diet for a month now and I need to give it at least another month, if not longer.

I am just posting to commiserate, I really feel your pain.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he vomiting or regurgitating? The way my vet explained it, regurgitating pretty much undigested food is probably due to eating too fast (thus the walnuts, or golf balls, and raising the bowl). Actual vomiting of digested food is a different story. Two years ago I wouldn't have known there was a difference.

I'm assuming with the number of times of tossing his kibbles you took him into the vet for an exam, right? Not a phone consultation?

BTW, Nature's Miracle and other enzyme cleaners are a must! Work really well on people messes as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need to clarify. He throws up whole chunks of food, he eats to fast. And it was not 9 times in 1 day, it was 2 days. It was a previous vet consultation when I told her about him barfing his whole pieces of kibble, she told me to use walnuts in his dish to try and slow him down and she agreed that he looks and acts healthy, that is probly all it is. I think I will try a plate for him and see how that works.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

I need to clarify. He throws up whole chunks of food, he eats to fast. And it was not 9 times in 1 day, it was 2 days. It was a previous vet consultation when I told her about him barfing his whole pieces of kibble, she told me to use walnuts in his dish to try and slow him down and she agreed that he looks and acts healthy, that is probly all it is. I think I will try a plate for him and see how that works.
I would also try feeding him smaller portions more often. If the feeding times are too far apart it sounds like he may be wolfing it down because he's so hungry.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

I would also try feeding him smaller portions more often. If the feeding times are too far apart it sounds like he may be wolfing it down because he's so hungry.

I had that problem when we tried meal feeding. Stimpy just doesn't do well on meal feedings, and when a meal does come along he eats so fast it comes right back up.
I have measured free feeding for our dry, and that seems to solve the problem.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
honestly get another vet!

I wouldn't advise putting walnuts in his bowl! Walnuts are toxic to cats and can cause digestive upset and nerve disorders if eaten. Like I said, find a better-informed vet.

I also wouldn't put rocks in his bowl- feed on a flat plate (I use a cookie sheet) spread out the kibble so it looks like more and see if that helps.stray cats gobble their food, feed smaller amounts, raise the dish. Vomiting that many times is not good. Your vet should have run a blood panel on him to make sure he isn't fighting a health issue. Also keep the water away from the food, put it so that he has to walk away from the food to get to his water.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Makes them eat slower. They have to eat around the walnuts. I've also heard of using rocks.
I'll have to try that with Matilda. Most of the time her vomit isn't from eating too fast but once or twice it has been (right after she ate).