Get off the road lady!

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I was on the highway on my way home from picking up the bunnies last night when all of a sudden, I couldn't see anything! I slowed down of course, and figured out that the car in front of me was ON FIRE!!! I couldn't actually see flames and I suppose it could have just been burning oil, but either way there was smoke pouring out from under the car. I honked at her and pulled up by her trying to get her attention but she was talking on her cell phone and not paying any attention to me. While I was trying to get her to pull over, I could see that the amount of smoke coming from her car was getting worse and I wasn't sure what to do.

I didn't know the number to highway patrol so I ended up calling 911 and they got a cop out there to pull her over within a couple minutes. I just can't believe that this lady was driving down the road with her car smoking like that and she didn't care! Not only was it dangerous to her I would assume but it was extremely dangerous to those of us on the road around her because it was impossible to see if you were close to the car.

Has anyone else ever seen something like this? What would you do?

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! I have never had that happen to me but I would have done the same thing you did. That lady should not be one the road...and on her cell phone none the less.
Some people. I applaud you for being so caring for her and everyone else on the road.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Maybe she was trying to call someone on her cell about the smoke
Who knows, some people are clueless
That was my thought as well. You would THINK she would pull off the road to do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

That was my thought as well. You would THINK she would pull off the road to do that.
That's what I was thinking! She had just got ON the highway too. If your car is on fire, why do you get on a highway??? It just didn't make much sense to me and I felt that it was putting her and everyone else on the road in danger. I almost got hit when she first got on the highway because suddenly no one could see in front of them anymore.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call 911 immediately and keep beeping my horn at her and pointing to pull over.

Thank God no one was hurt!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

I know. Morons are everywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

She might have noticed if she wasn't so busy yapping into a cell-phone - which is illegal anyway, is it not?
Not here it isn't.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you for calling 911! She owes you a thank you card

I had a similar situation happen when an elderly couple ran over a giant tumbleweed which got caught on their exhaust & caught fire!! I didn't have a cell phone so I flashed my lights, honked, waved & they just smiled and waved back!!! I had a car full of kids, too, so I guess the little old couple from Florida just thought that we Californians were friendly
they finally pulled over, and just then a power company truck pulled up behind them, so I continued on my way....

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a candidate for the Darwin Award. What An Idiot!
I hope she never breeds if she has not already. It sounds like someone has pi$$ed in her gene pool.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the scary thing: that woman may not be stupid at all. Why, I have a brother with an IQ in the 140s... but here's what he did:

When he was 19, my parents bought him a gorgeous red Fiero, and he loved it -- but it immediately developed a habit of catching fire under the hood every time he started it up. Did he tell anyone about this? Did he take the car to a shop? Did he at least buy a fire extinguisher?

No, because he feared our parents would make the dealership take this obvious lemon back. Instead, my brother decided to stick with the emergency fix he discovered the first time it happened: get the car up to highway speed and let the wind blow the fire out!

So every day, my brother would start the car in front of my folks's house and immediately floor it, getting up to 70 mph on their nice residential street. This went on for about two weeks.

One day my brother had stopped by a friend's house just a couple of streets away, so instead of using the high-speed-blow-out technique on his brief trip home, he just screeched into my folks's driveway, threw up the hood, and grabbed the garden hose to direct the spray onto the billowing smoke and leaping flames.

And that's what he was doing when my father came out of the house.

To this day, I don't know exactly what my father did, but that flashy Fiero was never seen again, my brother was much subdued for quite some time, and his next car was a flesh-colored Ford Futura -- without a doubt, the ugliest vehicle in history. (The way I see it, he's lucky he got another car at all.)

It's just amazing what otherwise intelligent people are capable of!