Lap Band

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone here has had the lap band procedure done or if they anyone who has and how is it working out? Any problems? I have an appointment with a doctor next Tuesday to talk about it. My insurance will cover it as long as it's needed for medical reasons (I have a few).

Thanks.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
CarolPetunia had that done, just recently. i had lap RNY done about 2.25 years ago. IMO, the lap band is an excellent choice for volume eaters - people who eat at mealtimes mostly, but eat large quantities. my surgery is better for grazers, people who eat smaller portions, but more frequently. mine includes some malabsorption, so requires more supplementation. when you're ready for the surgery, i suggest pre-loading w/protein supplements - you'll heal faster & feel better. continuing w/them after surgery will also help lessen hair loss during your losing phase.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading Carol's thread about it and was looking it up online. I read something about the procedure not being advised in people who have inflammable gastrointestinal diseases/conditions like ulcers, Crohn's disease and esophagitis. Would my ulcerative colitis rule me out?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

I just finished reading Carol's thread about it and was looking it up online. I read something about the procedure not being advised in people who have inflammable gastrointestinal diseases/conditions like ulcers, Crohn's disease and esophagitis. Would my ulcerative colitis rule me out?
not necessarily... i guess that's some thing your surgeon would have to decided. since the lap band doesn't have any intestinal involvement, seems like it wouldn't.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ulcerative Colitis would probably rule you out for the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, mainly because of the malabsorbtion that occurs after surgery. Is your UC under good control? I don't think the Lap Band would affect the UC. Your GI doctor would probably be able to give you the best advice. Good luck!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work with a woman who was very obese, she had one of the surgeries on her stomach. This woman is now looking fantastic!!!!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My UC is usually under control. It's not as bad as something like Crohn's disease or diverticulitis, hopefully it would be an issue. I'll be sure to contact by GI doctor about it so I can see what he says.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Travs' stepmom had gastric bypass. I know that they are similar. She had it done in July and has already lost 60 lbs or so and looks great! She even educated me on why you shouldn't drink during meals. Some things she learned about it through her doctor make sooo much sense!

But she said that it is so worth it!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just ran across this, and I'm so glad you're considering lap-band! I don't know your specific situation, of course, but for me, this was definitely the right thing. I only wish I'd done it sooner.

I'm having my second "fill" (tightening of the band) on Friday, which is necessary to maintain the right amount of restriction as I lose weight. In spite of everything that went wrong in my life, and in spite of totally failing to follow the post-op-period instructions I was given, I've had no problems with the band.

I was worried that the band might not work for me, because I didn't always eat out of hunger -- I ate because I enjoyed it, and I was afraid being physically unable to eat freely would make me miserable. But to my surprise, I really don't mind it! Once I'm full, I'm fine with it... even my favorite foods don't really tempt me once I'm full. Sometimes I wish I had eaten less of one thing in order to save some room for another... but even that doesn't bother me much. I don't know whether it works that way for everyone, but it sure is working for me!

If you want to talk about anything at all, just PM me, okay? I hope your appointment goes well!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Carol.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions for you. I already have some but I'm fighting a sinus infection and can't remember what they are.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boss had that done 2 and a half months ago and so far she has lost 40lbs! The surgery wasn't that bad, and she was back to work in a week! She only has 3 1 inch scars on her belly! They seem to be shrinking right along with her. I think that the lap band is a good choice for some people! I think you have to be double the weight you are suppose to be to qualify, and my boss has some GI issues and they still did hers! So hopefully all goes well for you Too!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just three scars? Wow! I have five -- all an inch or less except for where the port is, and that's about 2.5 inches. But I'm not planning on wearing a bikini anyway, so... no problem.

Different doctors have different criteria for qualifying... but if you have "co-morbidities" like diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure, they often feel surgery is called for even if you aren't 100 pounds or more overweight... because of course, the weight loss quickly resolves (or greatly reduces) those health problems.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Just three scars? Wow! I have five -- all an inch or less except for where the port is, and that's about 2.5 inches. But I'm not planning on wearing a bikini anyway, so... no problem.
altho i have 10... 5 from the gallbladder surgery in '99, & 5 from the RNY in '04. the '99 ones are very, very light - match my stretch marks. the RNY ones are still rather dark pink, but i expect they'll eventually match the others.
i'm w/you on the bikini thing, too - i think 50-year-olds need more dignity than that... even if they have the bods for it!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescheduled my consultation for next week. I have to go see my doctor tomorrow about my sinus infection and get a note for work. I didn't want to go see a new doctor being sick. I do feel a little better, though.