New from Ontario, Canada (and a couple ?s)

berry punch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I just joined. My name is Nik. I'm a 23 year old girl from South Dakota, who has recently moved up to Canada to start a life with her husband, who is originally from the Greater Toronto Area. I wanted my username to be Snotty McPetPants, but I was heartbroken to find it was a character or two too long. C'est la vie.

My husband and I have two wonderful kitties. A handsome young man named Charlie, who I adopted as a fuzzy kitten and love more than anything, despite his many attitudinal problems.
He's a snobby Himalayan who knows exactly how beautiful he is. He was rescued from an "over-kittied" house. I had originally adopted a pretty tabby/white girl kitten, but her former owner called us and asked if we would return her in exchange for a different kitten. Apparently her daughter missed the kitten very much. Little did we know what a basketcase Charlie was, LOL. He is a very non-sociable cat. He's only willing to give you love if you're in the bathroom or if it's very early in the morning and no one else is awake to witness it. He also loves to eat popcorn and play with candy wrappers.

The baby of the family is a girl named Jinxsie. She's a beautiful short-haired calico kitty who will be one year old this April. We bought her at a local pet store. My mom actually bought her brother earlier in the same week that I bought her. I've always thought it was nice that they've been able to stay together for so long. When I moved up here with my husband, we had to leave her behind in my mother's care for the time being (can't bring her here until my Canadian residency goes through, unfortunately). I sometimes feel guilty at the thought of having to separate the two of them, when that time comes. They are just the best of friends and it will be very sad to see them apart. I hope they won't take it too hard.

I have a couple of questions regarding the forum.
1.) I know a ton of people have asked this, but the question always seems to be answered via PM instead of having a thread addressing it: how do you upload/select your avatar and create your signature?
2.) I've seen lots of people on here with small pictures of their cats next to their usernames when they post in a thread, but haven't been able to figure out how to do it myself. I see at the top navigation there is a link that says "Your Cats" and I'm wondering if that may be the key. However, everytime I try to click on it, nothing happens at all. Is there a problem with the link, or am I simply cursed?

This may be the longest introduction post in history and I applaud anyone who may still be with me.

Thanks for any answers anyone can provide, hello to my fellow cat lovers, and good night.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Berry Punch

I have a couple of questions regarding the forum.
1.) I know a ton of people have asked this, but the question always seems to be answered via PM instead of having a thread addressing it: how do you upload/select your avatar and create your signature?
here's where you can find your answer: TCS user groups
you have to reach a certain level before you can do some things.

2.) I've seen lots of people on here with small pictures of their cats next to their usernames when they post in a thread, but haven't been able to figure out how to do it myself. I see at the top navigation there is a link that says "Your Cats" and I'm wondering if that may be the key. However, everytime I try to click on it, nothing happens at all. Is there a problem with the link, or am I simply cursed?
you have to upload pix to them... if you click on the arrow, instead of the link, you should get a choice to 'add new cat page'.

This may be the longest introduction post in history and I applaud anyone who may still be with me.
thanks for the applause!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum!! Me, my tuxedo girl kismet (purrmonster) and siamese cello (srgt. meowenstein) are also from the GTA!! I can't help you with your computer questions, not my strong point!! I do know the little pictures by your name are if you make your cat profiles but I don't know if you have to be on the site a certain amount of time to do that!! I never got around to it yet. I don't know about avatars but I know if you link pictures of your kitties to a signature thread in one of the bottom forums there are some awesome people here who will make you a signature!!

Welcome, this is a really awesome forum! Good luck and enjoy Ontario!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Nik! You have found the best cat site around!

We have a lot of support and advice to give here. Our members are always ready and willing to help you or just chat with you. We also have a game called KatKwiz (cat quiz), designed for newcomers just like yourself, which teaches you things about The Cat Site and also allows you to win lots of points. (It also teaches you what points are.) Just click on the here link below to learn more. Glad you decided to join us!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome Nik. You have certainly come to a special place since this is one of the best (if not THE best) sites on the internet.
I live Northwest of the GTA but do go to Scarborough on occasion to visit a friend of mine. I used to live at Kennedy and the 401 (Antrim Place when it was brand new) many years ago.

Some of us folks from the Toronto Area try to get together for a meet up at the All About Pets Show which will be coming up this weekend. Perhaps you could arrange to meet up with everyone. We usually go to lunch afterwards.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to TheCatSite Nik

I am so glad that you, Charlie and Jinxsie have joined our wonderful community of caring people who love and respect cats.

I have sent a couple of personal messages to you in response to your questions about how post photos on TCS, etc.

As you learn your way around our site, if you have other questions, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name, then send a Private Message.
I will get back to you asap.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Nik! Welcome to the Cat Site!

Look forward to seeing photos of your cats

Best Wishes! Enjoy the forums

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berry punch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you have to upload pix to them... if you click on the arrow, instead of the link, you should get a choice to 'add new cat page'.
I've tried clicking on the link and on the arrow, and unfortunately nothing. No new page, no drop-down menu, nada. i r d00med.

berry punch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone!

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Some of us folks from the Toronto Area try to get together for a meet up at the All About Pets Show which will be coming up this weekend. Perhaps you could arrange to meet up with everyone. We usually go to lunch afterwards.
Aww, I read about that show and thought about going. My husband and I are unfortunately in a little bit of a financial bind right now, so I'm afraid we can't go. Thanks for the invite, though!

Nice to see a few people from the GTA around here.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello!

I just joined. My name is Nik. I'm a 23 year old girl from South Dakota, who has recently moved up to Canada to start a life with her husband, who is originally from the Greater Toronto Area.
Wow, moving from South Dakota to Scarborough must have been a real shock!
Hi Nik!
I grew up near the south end of Scarborough and now live north of Toronto.

I'm trying to go to the pet show on Friday so will take some pics to share.

Enjoy your stay at TCS!

berry punch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! And thank you for the welcome gift.

Yeah, it's a bit of a difference, LOL. I sure do miss South Dakota sometimes. Everything is so big here!

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there Nik
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your characterful furfamily to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

I see that you've had great answers to the questions that you have already raised.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!