Feral Friendly Vet?

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I've recently taken/rescued what I would describe as a friendly feral kitty. She's currently pregnant, so I'm waiting till post-birth to bring her in for her first vet visit, but I do want to start figuring out how to handle said vet visit. She's sociable, and likes being petted and enjoys people. BUT she doesn't really like being held, and definitely does NOT like being restrained. Getting her into a cat carrier is a bit harrowing, at best.

I already have a vet, whom I've been taking my other two cats to for about a year, and whom I like. I called the office today, to ask them whether they are comfortable with semi-feral cats. The response I got from the girl at the desk was what *sounded* like a smothered laugh, directed at me or not, I do not know, and then "Uh, yeah" with no further elaboration. Caught completely off guard, I said thanks and hung up, but the more I'm thinking about it, the more uncomfortable I'm feeling. Am I wrong to feel like there ought to have been more explanation than that? I would have liked to know HOW they handle feral cats, and such, and for what procedures. Do they sedate them for all exams? (Is that common?) Do they hold them down? (I think she would literally harm herself if she was being physically restrained.)

I don't know whether I'm overreacting... are most vets comfortable handling ferals? Was my question really kind of ridiculous, and that's why I got what felt like a dismissive answer? Or should I call again and press for more details? What have other people's experiences been like in finding feral-friendly vets? I had always been under the impression that they were difficult to find. Do you think it's possible she simply didn't believe that I actually realistically assessing the cat's feral state?

... I do like my vet, but now I'm kind of concerned that they might not be the best choice for this cat ...

kitten_smitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was my question really kind of ridiculous, and that's why I got what felt like a dismissive answer?
No your question was in no way ridiculous.

The dismissiveness was hopefully a mistake in communication! Some times when office staff answer the phone more than one conversation is occurring at once - some times responses get cross and tones can come out wrong

I tell them when I made the appointment for Ferocious and when I took her in to be examined by the vet I reminded him - he asked how Ferral was she - I open my purse and got out a pair of thick leather gloves

"She bites"

Or should I call again and press for more details?
If the situation is disturbing you yes call back and press for more details.

I would have liked to know HOW they handle feral cats, and such, and for what procedures. Do they sedate them for all exams? (Is that common?) Do they hold them down? (I think she would literally harm herself if she was being physically restrained.)
Now the gal that answered the phone may not be able to tell you exactly how the cat will be handled- you are saying semi-feral and this may have been confusing to her but she should have asked for an explanation if she did not understand

- I can only speak from my experience - my vet did a very brief exam of Ferocious when I first took her in - she was very congested and very umm uncooperative so he decided it may be best to give her antibiotics and see if that helped - at rest she didn't have respiratory distress but trying to handle her was increasing her difficulty breathing.

When she still had problems and needed a more detailed exam she was sedated - they will hold them down to a certain extent - for the second exam it was long enough to sedate her - and then she was let back onto her carrier and I covered it with her towel {hiding her - which she perfered when she first arrived with us} when the drugs took effect Ferocious's real temperment came out - friendly kitty with a twist of priss - that is how she is now all the time with out drugs. My baby was sedated enough not to be freaking but she wasn't unconscious either

When and if the cat is sedated greatly depend upon the cats reaction and necessary procedures

Sedation should not be done for no reason because it too carries risk however sedation should be done if it is obvious the cat is going to be traumatized or an exam is not going to be possible without undue stress or risk of injury.

I was with Ferocious for her exams - the only time I didn't stay with her is when she went in to be spayed. Vets should be Familiar with the handling of injured animals it seem like this would also include being able to handle a patent who may bite!

I hope this heps

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, thank you for rescuing this kitty!

Kitten Smitten provided great answers and advice. I just have two things to add.

Well - one is a question. Any reason you're not bringing your pregnant rescue into the vet to make sure everything's OK?

And as to the cat carrier. I'd make sure I have a large one, really roomy for her. I'd put it near wherever she hangs out the most right at the moment. Is she inside, confined to a room?

I'd spray the crate with Feliway. And at VERY regular times, 2 or 3 times a day, I'd put a couple of treats in the crate for her to eat. Maybe put a kitty bed down in there so it's not just plastic.

If you can leave the crate out all the time, and get her to associate it with good things - and it smells like Feliway, not so much like new plastic or other kitty's fear (if you've used it before, give it a good wash first), then getting her into the crate when you need her in there isn't such a struggle.

You're right to ask your vet about handling ferals. We live in a rural area, so all the vets out here are used to working with them. But at one practice we visited, our regular vet wasn't available, and one of the vets that usually worked just with dogs was around. Of course the feral escaped the room and destroyed a lot of stuff, running around crashing into things. I'm sorry we learned the hard way and it cost that kitty a lot of fear.

So if you're not comfortable, I agree. Call back.

That said - our experience with most ferals is that they're just too scared. The smell and sounds at the vet strike them paralyzed with fear, and the vet can usually do everything he needs to without a peep or a bite. But ours go to the vet in traps, and they're feral ferals - and the ones that are going to be a problem are almost 100% of the time the ones that hiss and growl and look like they're going to attack as soon as you move your hand near the trap. Those get sedated before even being removed from the trap.

Our kitties, and they're all feral rescues, will act like hellfire when we're trying to pill them or when we were first trying to clip their claws. But at the vet - calm and quiet. No problems. So in familiar territory they had fight and spunk - but terrified at the vet, not so much as a peep.

Laurie

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Such good advice being given! i totally agree with all that is said, but wanted to throw my own experience in. We took in three semi-feral kittens about 6 weeks ago, and Conor (or girl) was recently taken to the vet for her spay. Anyway, I did just what Laurie said as far as the crate goes. They spent a lot of time in it before we went to the vet - associated it with a nice place to sleep and groom - and so when it came time to get Conor in the crate, it was no problem. And, our cats all LOVE the crate now. It is kind of a permanent fixture in our bedroom.

As for your vet, well, when we went around to try and find one, we mentioned to all of them that our kittens were semi-feral. We weren't sure how they would react and some were more positive than others. The one we ended up going with explained everything to us at length and he even has a feral cat himself. Anyway, you need to make sure both you and the vet are comfortable. You did not ask a stupid question - I think it is our responsibility to inform the vet about the nature of our cats - so call back and get the answers that you feel you need. You will feel so much better when you do take her in knowing exactly how they are going to deal with her!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kitten_Smitten

I hope this heps
Thank you so much -- it did -- I will be calling back and hopefully can either speak to my vet herself or at least get more details from the office staff.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Well - one is a question. Any reason you're not bringing your pregnant rescue into the vet to make sure everything's OK?

And as to the cat carrier. I'd make sure I have a large one, really roomy for her. I'd put it near wherever she hangs out the most right at the moment. Is she inside, confined to a room?

I'd spray the crate with Feliway. And at VERY regular times, 2 or 3 times a day, I'd put a couple of treats in the crate for her to eat. Maybe put a kitty bed down in there so it's not just plastic.

If you can leave the crate out all the time, and get her to associate it with good things - and it smells like Feliway, not so much like new plastic or other kitty's fear (if you've used it before, give it a good wash first), then getting her into the crate when you need her in there isn't such a struggle.

You're right to ask your vet about handling ferals. We live in a rural area, so all the vets out here are used to working with them. But at one practice we visited, our regular vet wasn't available, and one of the vets that usually worked just with dogs was around. Of course the feral escaped the room and destroyed a lot of stuff, running around crashing into things. I'm sorry we learned the hard way and it cost that kitty a lot of fear.

So if you're not comfortable, I agree. Call back.

That said - our experience with most ferals is that they're just too scared. The smell and sounds at the vet strike them paralyzed with fear, and the vet can usually do everything he needs to without a peep or a bite. But ours go to the vet in traps, and they're feral ferals - and the ones that are going to be a problem are almost 100% of the time the ones that hiss and growl and look like they're going to attack as soon as you move your hand near the trap. Those get sedated before even being removed from the trap.

Our kitties, and they're all feral rescues, will act like hellfire when we're trying to pill them or when we were first trying to clip their claws. But at the vet - calm and quiet. No problems. So in familiar territory they had fight and spunk - but terrified at the vet, not so much as a peep.

Laurie
As for not bringing her in to the vet for a checkup: I talked it over with my mom, who has brought a large number of kittens into this world (well, not personally but, you know, has helped) and our feeling together was that she seems TOTALLY happy and healthy being inside in my room and bringing her to the vet would definitely upset her a lot, so as long as nothing seems out of place, we decided it would be best to just let her stay out the term of her pregnancy before taking her to the vet. She was too far along for abortion to be an option by the time I took her in, so... I know there's room for argument about the decision, but we're sort of minimal vet people, generally, so that's how we tend to come down on things.

She's inside now, confined in my bedroom, with the other two cats (kittens, really, they're still only 7 months), obviously, confined OUT of my bedroom. They've gotten to look at each other a bit and even interact somewhat (on her terms), but during the past week she's made it clear she does NOT want them around, so they're back to complete segregation again.

Anyway, off topic. But yes, the crate has stayed in her space. I only just stumbled on this marvelous Feliway stuff yesterday, so roommate and I are going to pick some up soon and start using it. Spraying the crate is a good idea: I will definitely do that.

Hopefully she'll just be scared at the vet... that would be easiest on everyone! That's how the kittens both were, and they were also both rescues, but rescues at about 12 weeks, whereas Friskers darling is, by my guess, at least a year but probably more like 2 years old. So she's got a little more ... pizazz, shall we say?

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wendyr

Such good advice being given! i totally agree with all that is said, but wanted to throw my own experience in. We took in three semi-feral kittens about 6 weeks ago, and Conor (or girl) was recently taken to the vet for her spay. Anyway, I did just what Laurie said as far as the crate goes. They spent a lot of time in it before we went to the vet - associated it with a nice place to sleep and groom - and so when it came time to get Conor in the crate, it was no problem. And, our cats all LOVE the crate now. It is kind of a permanent fixture in our bedroom.

Good luck!
Oddly, she actually seems not to mind too much being IN the crate, it's just being PUT in the crate that she gets very cranky about.

I think she mostly just doesn't like AT ALL being forced to do anything, and I think a lot of that comes down to just not quite trusting us entirely yet. She'll let me put her in, and let me hold her to weigh her, whereas my roommate can't even pick her up. So at least there's some sort of bond forming (and I'm going to be her permanent owner so at least it's with the right person too!)

Thanks again all, for the advice. I will definitely be calling my vet back again to talk it over more thoroughly, and thank you all for giving me the feedback to help me feel comfortable doing so.