Non-Invasive Washing?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm taking care of a foster kitty named Christy. She's still getting used to the move, three days ago. She was completely overwhelmed at the shelter, so we're hoping she will be calmer here. (And that I can persuade somebody to adopt her!)

One of the things she did at the shelter was to sleep in her litter box at night, because that was the furthest to the back of the dog crate she stayed in to get away from the other cats. Consequently, she smells like pee... which is kinda gross. Also, I think my cats may be smelling her and getting a way stronger impression of Other Cat than they ought to.

I don't want to dunk her in the water. She's only just getting used to it here, and a bath would be too traumatic. Is there some other way to try to get the worst of the smell off her, and maybe make it easier for my cats to accept her? (Also, I have to admit... it would make kissing her beautiful soft fur a lot nicer!)

I've heard that you can put a bit of vanilla on each cat in the household, but when one cat already smells very strongly, I'm thinking that wouldn't help as much as it should...

I need a way to wash a cat that doesn't involve dunking them in a bunch of water, holding them down, or otherwise traumatizing them. Help?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Maybe a couple of wet cloths? Like have them wet/damp and at the ready - one with some kitty-safe shampoo (or I think a little Dawn dish soap is ok) and then several with just water, so you can soap and rinse gently and hopefully get the smell out... I know I've seen those "waterless" powder baths available too but I've never used them and haven't heard anything about how safe/unsafe they are...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't like the thought of her inhaling any powder. I think I will look for some pet wipes... maybe there are deodorizing ones. I know I need to look for something made specifically for cats, because dogs don't lick themselves nearly as much!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Yeah, I don't like the thought of her inhaling any powder. I think I will look for some pet wipes... maybe there are deodorizing ones. I know I need to look for something made specifically for cats, because dogs don't lick themselves nearly as much!
both of the ones i linked are for cats... & i think the waterless one is a foam, not a powder.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could use some cornstarch baby powder for awhile. But I've washed lots of cats and none of them were ever really tramatized by it - some didn't like it and gave me a hard time, but all of them survived and were fine in a few hours.

If I had her, I'd give her a bath

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet cloths, and she still smells... *sigh*

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did that. She's damp, she's annoyed, but she's purring...

Now if I can just get her to eat more than a few mouthfuls of food a day...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Did that. She's damp, she's annoyed, but she's purring...

Now if I can just get her to eat more than a few mouthfuls of food a day...
try some meat baby food - 4 out of 5 of my cats highly recommend it!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried it... I gave her a plateful of slightly warmed meat baby food in her dog crate. She "buried" the plate in her blanket, untouched.

She ate some kitty treats, though. Is that safe? I mean, will she be OK if she's drinking enough and eating a few kitty treats? My theory now is that she isn't eating because she's nervous and unfamiliar, rather than sick... I don't want to have to call the shelter to take her back because she isn't eating!

I mean, she actually played with a shoelace today... I've been told she never played before.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christy ate a few mouthfuls of fish cat food just now. SO relieved. Still not nearly enough, but should prevent her from getting sick... After that she "buried" the bowl in her blanket again! Will re-offer fish cat food later today, see if she will eat some more...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's burying instinctively to save food for trying times... hopefully she'll start to learn that you will provide her with food on a regular basis so there is no need to save some for later... baby steps are good though! You could try adding a little water drained from a can of human tuna to whatever food you're offering her - I know Oliver can't resist anything that has tuna juice on it!

alyssa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one feral wasn't eating either - so I started mixing in a can of tuna with their kibble twice a day, and BAM! the timid one had it's face BURIED in food.

Now I am starting to leave kibble out for the day, to start getting them used to kibble by itself, and use the tuna fish with kibble mix for just once a day.

Then I'll start weaning them off the tuna into wet cat food.

And then finally after a while, they will be weaned off wet completely on only on kibble.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alyssa

My one feral wasn't eating either - so I started mixing in a can of tuna with their kibble twice a day, and BAM! the timid one had it's face BURIED in food.

Now I am starting to leave kibble out for the day, to start getting them used to kibble by itself, and use the tuna fish with kibble mix for just once a day.

And then finally after a while, they will be weaned off wet completely on only on kibble.
Just make sure they're drinking enough water if you're going to stop the wet food!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by alyssa

If you are one of the lucky folks whose cat likes wet food, I wouldn't take it away. Wet food is better for your cat than dry kibble.