does anyone else like spaggetti squash?

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love that stuff but am getting tired of the same ways to cook it, either butter and garlic or with regular spagetti sauce. anyone have a good recipie?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
once you cook it, (I bake it in the oven, then open it up, clean out the seeds, put the rest in a container and fridge)
you can use it for anything, as you would any other veggie.
I will cook chicken, with garlic, onions, red pepper, and throw in spaghetti squash. You could try ginger and lemon and garlic. No limit, let you imagination be your guide.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondrebel76

I love that stuff but am getting tired of the same ways to cook it, either butter and garlic or with regular spagetti sauce. anyone have a good recipie?
It's ok. I don't really know how to cook it beyond roasting it and then scooping it out and putting butter, salt and brown sugar or honey on it.

I sure can't see eating it as a replacement for "spaghetti" though. It's a veggie and not nutritionally complete and certainly not all that filling!

I don't buy it often because I can't cut them. They're too hard and I've ended up breaking good knives
The last tiime I bought one I asked a guy in the produce department at Safeway to cut it. They didn't even have a knife that could cut it either. He somehow managed though.

Personally I think you need a table saw to cut through those.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You bake them whole, then you cut them after they are cooked, you can stick a fork in them. much easier that way,

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have an exact recipe, but a friend of mine mixes it with cheese, onions, and peppers, and bakes it in the oven with bread crumbs on top (this is after you "spaghetti" it, of course).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh really now, they're not that hard to cut.
None of the squashes are and I have had to cut, peel (which is worse), cut into smaller pieces, then toss that in the food processor for my turtles. This isn't one squash - more like 5 or 6 at a time and with relatively dull knives.

You have to poke the squash with the end of the knife first, slowly work it in, then slowly cut around it. Using the knife more like a lever. If you're worried about breaking a kitchen knife, get a larger buck knife/hunting knife to do it. If you try to use a chopping motion - straight down and across the squash with the knife, you're just increasing the surface area and tension against the knife which means you'll need more force.

DH likes spaghetti more than I do. I prefer acorn and butternut. Which can be prepared like any vegetable - even with some seasonings on it like you would a potato.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had it once, but it was good with butter. I'm trying to talk DH into trying it. He only likes one kind of squash - the acorn kind - baked.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found a recipe once to use it to make actual spaghetti with it. It tasted like I put spaghetti sauce on a pumpkin... It was not good at all. Maybe I did it wrong, I don't know, but I haven't tried it since.