Pennie's kittens struggle to latch on

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much searching is normal? I have a couple who find the nipple right away, while the rest search for most of the time. How do I know they're eating enough? What can I do to help them latch on? Most of them are 24 hours old. Will they come around in time? Help!!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I worried and worried the first couple of days, too. But the vet's assistant told me that if there isn't an excessive amount of crying, then they should be getting enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys!

That's just the sort of reassurance I was looking for.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong here so don't take my word for it, but I am under the impression that mammals don't generally need to nurse right away after birth, I would see what they are doing in a couple of hours and go by weights and check that they are all gaining daily
Keep a close eye out for any that don't suckle properly or don't gain weight, and supplement if necessary. If the mum is a stray/rescue she may not have enough to go round so have some KMR on hand just in case

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, mammals do need to nurse soon after birth. They may not get milk immediately, but they will get colostrum which is important for their immune system.

i would focus on helping the weaker kittens attach to the nipple - perhaps one of the ones closer to the floor and before the stronger kittens start in. And I would think about getting KMR and feeding them a couple of times a day in additio to what they get from mama. Hopefully they just need a jump start.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Actually, mammals do need to nurse soon after birth. They may not get milk immediately, but they will get colostrum which is important for their immune system.
Colostrum is produced for up to 2 days after birth, few mammals suckle within seconds of being born, some do but many don't. There is no point in panic.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would make sure that they are eventually satiated, and not crying AFTER nursing, and that their tummies are not shrunken but full and tight. It's really hard to tell what will happen only 24 hours after they are born. You'll probably be able to tell more in the next day or so. Make sure they are warm enough though; cold kittens can not nurse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the concern and help!

I've been paying close attention.

Here's what I've observed:
1- they cry very little, mainly when having their bottoms cleaned by mom
2- because mom has been with us for 10 weeks, I know she's been well-fed and cared-for
3- mom stays with them 98% of the time, coming out to eat and get loves from us
4- they all rest well, no one acts unsatiated
5- they don't all eat all of the time, but they do all eat some of the time

I guess my concern came from observing them not all latching on at the same time. This seems normal, from this bunch, at least. Has anyone observed this in their groups?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theallis5

Thank you very much for the concern and help!

I've been paying close attention.

Here's what I've observed:
1- they cry very little, mainly when having their bottoms cleaned by mom
2- because mom has been with us for 10 weeks, I know she's been well-fed and cared-for
3- mom stays with them 98% of the time, coming out to eat and get loves from us
4- they all rest well, no one acts unsatiated
5- they don't all eat all of the time, but they do all eat some of the time

I guess my concern came from observing them not all latching on at the same time. This seems normal, from this bunch, at least. Has anyone observed this in their groups?
It sounds to me, at least, that all is well.