out for a walk

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Manhattan in a studio apt.(a decent sized studio, but still it's all one room!) The kitties literally own the place, but as spring approaches I am really wanting to leash train them and take them out for a walk. Especially because they are rushing the door and trying to get out everytime I come home. They've only been outside this apartment 10 times to the vet and a weekend at the grandparents (approx) BUT, the streets of NYC are filled with dogs, honking cars, bikes, sirens etc. Doesn't sound like much fun for a cat, right? I could bring them to the park in their carriers and then let them out where it is quieter. Is this even necessary, do you think they need to have some outdoor time?? Or do they not even know what they are missing?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO in the middle of NYC I would never take my cats out on a leash or anywhere outside! Not sure how high your apartment is (floor wise) but maybe get a tall treehouse by the window for them to look out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO in the middle of NYC I would never take my cats out on a leash or anywhere outside! Not sure how high your apartment is (floor wise) but maybe get a tall treehouse by the window for them to look out.
I agree NYC is NO PLACE for a kitty to be out unless in a carrier

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they sense the change of season, but you know what they are missing in terms of possible situations that are bad for your cats. There's no way the experience of being outside for them will be a good one.

If you take them to a park, still put them on a harness because something could frighten or interest them and then they would be gone.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry unduly about them being inside cats and 'missing the great outdoors' - but, if I were really set on taking them outside, it'd be in a carrier or a animal stroller (and good sturdy one at that). I did just get a stroller for my two and have taken them for a few short walks in my suburban neighborhood. I think the boy did like it, and the girl's not quite sure about this mode of transportation.

If you do try a leash, make sure you get a good harness. I've seen people try to do collar/leash combos, and seen their cats zip off immediately. Also, I'd check with the vet regarding if you need any shots/flea/tick treatments if you're going outside that you didn't get for indoor-only cats.

But you're a good mom for worrying how to get them the best - geez, don't we spend more time on that than we do our own, human, stuff?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if on a harness, if the cat panics at anything (traffic, dog, etc) you still may have a very frightened cat, uncontrolable, etc. Not worth the risk to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone!
No strolls in Central Park with my girls!
Maybe I'll try the harness when we visit my mom in the quiet burbs. I just feel bad that they are always in this one room. I am moving this summer, but still, then it'll only be 2 rooms.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel - I have a two bedroom condo, but there are days I wish I could afford a bigger house with stairs for the kitties to run up and down. I myself don't like stairs, but they do! But, your kitties have your whole studio, and, more importantly, they've got you and your love for them.

If you have room, though, I'd get them cat trees or something along that line so they can use space vertically as well. And, if you have a nice safe window for them to look out of, well, that's great too! Maybe even get them one of those ledge things so they can be comfy while looking out the window, if that works for you.