2 toy questions

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering...about how many toys do you leave for your cats to play with when you are out during the day?
How do you clean their toys and how often?
thanks

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JandM

Just wondering...about how many toys do you leave for your cats to play with when you are out during the day?
How do you clean their toys and how often?
thanks
I'm wondering the same thing so I'm looking forward to the responses. As far as cleaning their toys goes, I have never cleaned cat toys. The only ones that I find actually get dirty are the little mice type toys but I just throw those away when they get a bit too worn or dirty and replace them. Same with Da Bird attachments. The other toys I have, like the ball in the plastic circle, I have never thought to clean since they only paw at them, not chew. Are you talking about a particular toy that requires cleaning?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

As far as cleaning their toys goes, I have never cleaned cat toys. The only ones that I find actually get dirty are the little mice type toys but I just throw those away when they get a bit too worn or dirty and replace them. Same with Da Bird attachments. The other toys I have, like the ball in the plastic circle, I have never thought to clean since they only paw at them, not chew.

There are literally dozens upon dozens of toys all over my apartment for them to play with.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really leave the cat toys out - most are small and catnip filled and our dog will rip them up if left out.

The rest are toys on a string - so most of the cat toys are in a drawer. Only a few balls are out and they are in baskets.

I only wash the toys if they get into something dirty - like in the basement corner or something like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually throw away the mice and anything ratty looking too. I guess I was wondering about cleaning toys with feathers that do go in their mouths and the plastic stuff, like the springs and krinkle balls.
I usually leave a bunch of toys on the floor, but sometimes I feel like the more there is the less they play with. WHo knows? I'm not here most of the day and when I get home its usually fetch and playtime together.I wish I could video the apt. so I could see what they do when I 'm not home.
thanks!

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I can't really leave the cat toys out - most are small and catnip filled and our dog will rip them up if left out.
I'm in the same boat as you but I just created a kitty room for my cat and the incoming kitten. I put up a baby gate to keep the dog out of the room but had to cut a hole in the gate itself since my 17lb cat is too heavy to jump over it. Or too chicken.

I may have to revise this plan if I find that the new kitten likes to carry toys out of the room. My dog eats them in a heartbeat too. She's a labrador and eats anything!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I throw away catnip toys when they start getting ratty and gross. For the hard plastic track toys. I periodically wash them. And I regularly vacuum the turbo scratcher toy. If a toy gets into something gross, I will see if it can be salvaged (run through the wash or otherwise cleaned).

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver has a bajillion toys! I have a canvas bin in my room and a small basket in the living room both full of toys... I pull some out here and there and they always get rounded up on vacuum day and the process starts all over again lol... I try to rotate what's out too so he doesnt lose interest... I've never cleaned any of them - haven't seen a reason to... plastic stuff could be cleaned with dish soap or a gentle bleach mixture if needed - the fabric mice cant really be successfully cleaned lol and they're usually so cheap it's easy to toss them and replace... I've come to realize that Oliver spends the majority of his day sleeping whether I'm around or not haha

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

There are literally dozens upon dozens of toys all over my apartment for them to play with.
Riley has a basket full of toys. There are always at least a dozen scattered around the floor at any given time, not counting the dozens under the furniture or that get pushed under the closet doors.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

My landlord was laughing at the "mouse problem" when she did an inspection

Mine have lots of toys everywhere and they rearrange stuff when I'm out, like the smaller cat trees and their tunnel.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats probably have about 50 toys out to play with. I don't clean them, if they get worn I just toss them.