laser pointer

ekekekek07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i took out the laser pointer last night and angus went crazy for it, but when i turned it off he started whining. and then he fell asleep b/c he was worn out. pole toys give him something that he can touch and feel and bite, while the laser just teases him. it definitely gets him on his feet and tires him out, but it also confuses him. is the pointer a recommended toy? is it dangerous?

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh man, my kitten Jake goes crazy over those things. He climbs half way up the wall! But I see your point though, I think he gets frustrated after a while because he can't really "get" it.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forrest and Lilly both love the laser pointer. After a good play session I give them treats and they seem to forget all about not being able to catch the light.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a recommended toy (even dogs will go after the dot). Only dangerous part is to shine it directly in the cat/dog's eye (including human eyes). Other then that, its fun and good exercise.

Ling talks and chases the light

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine adore the laser - I try to either end the session playing with another interactive toy they can 'catch', or make sure I give them some treats and tell them they're brave, good kitties for chasing the light under the couch.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My three boys kind of like the laser point, but Maggie goes nuts for it. If I even pick it up she comes running. Then again she likes to chase lights on the wall
. If a car goes past at the light shines on the wall she will chase it and jump after it. She also likes to chase the light from flash lights. I'm so mean that when she would hide when she needed medicine I would get her to come out from underneath the bed using the flash light. I know I'm terrible, but she really is not the brightest cat in the world. The other ones would catch on after the first or second time. I did this to her for 10 days and she still came out from hiding on that 10th day. (Good thing she's so darn cute!)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like the laser, I always switch to a feather toy at the end that they can catch so they don't go looking for something they can't find.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bob goes nuts for it, but Bickford will growl and run away. Then again Bick (who does resemble Garfield) hates any form of physical activity.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive been playing with Jack with a Laser Pointer the past couple days.. HE LOVES IT!! He doesn't stop for nothing once he sees the lil Red Dot

Also.. I was gonna ask.. he does this weird thing with his Mouth when the Laser Pointer "moves" a certain distance away from him... he like clicks his Jaws and makes a weird noise... Its kinda funny looking.

King chases the Red Dot once in a while but he usually just sits there staring at it.
And Pinky totally ignores it.. as if hes to good to chase the Red Dot! lol
We've only had one Dog that actually chased the Laser Pointer.. that was our old Rott... lol he use to also climb the walls for the Red Dot!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

Also.. I was gonna ask.. he does this weird thing with his Mouth when the Laser Pointer "moves" a certain distance away from him... he like clicks his Jaws and makes a weird noise... Its kinda funny looking.
Sounds like chattering, mine only do it when watching birds through the window. I keep telling them with all the racket they will scare their "prey" away

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Sounds like chattering, mine only do it when watching birds through the window. I keep telling them with all the racket they will scare their "prey" away
Well when Jack starts to "Chatter" when the laser Dot moves away from him.. I move the Dot toward him in hopes that he'll eventually learn to "Chatter on Command"

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well when Jack starts to "Chatter" when the laser Dot moves away from him.. I move the Dot toward him in hopes that he'll eventually learn to "Chatter on Command"
Let me know if it works. I love hearing the kitties chatter.

mdgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats also go nuts over the laser pointer. They'll come running if they even think I've picked it up and start looking around for the red dot. They get bored after a while if I aim it towards the wall. They'll try to catch it on the wall for a little while then just sit there and watch it. They prefer if I point it towards the floor. The only time they whine is when playtime is over because if it were up to them, they'd play all day. Even when they're so worked up they're panting.
So cute!

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mdgirl

My cats also go nuts over the laser pointer. They'll come running if they even think I've picked it up and start looking around for the red dot. They get bored after a while if I aim it towards the wall. They'll try to catch it on the wall for a little while then just sit there and watch it. They prefer if I point it towards the floor. The only time they whine is when playtime is over because if it were up to them, they'd play all day. Even when they're so worked up they're panting.
So cute!
Thats sorta how King is with the watching it more instead of chasing it... he bats at it once in a while though.

Mmmm.... Egypt use to come running every time she heard the jingle of the Key Chain on the Laser Pen...
I miss her.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties are completely aware of the fact that it is us on the other end of the toy, laser pointer, the bird........... Some kitties get a bit confused and overly worked up with some toys. The best thing to do is to show them where it is coming from if they can't relax when play time is over. It sounds like he really enjoys it and was letting you know, saying thank you!
Maia goes nuts with the laser pointer, but she definitely knows who's at the other end. Sometimes she will give a 'I want to play more' meow after she catches her breath as well.
She also catches onto light reflections on the walls and a flashlight gets her going, but not obsessive, just silly kitty!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be dangerous in some dogs, OCD behaviors can occur and it can really mess up some dogs. That is NOT at all healthy.

I have never heard of that problem in cats. My cat loves the toy and acts like a crazy cat, but doesn't get OB/C with it.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Some kitties are completely aware of the fact that it is us on the other end of the toy, laser pointer, the bird

Jack knows im at the other end.. sometimes when he cant find the Dot he'll come up to me, poke the part of the pen where the light comes from with his nose then look were he thinks im pointing... quite smart if you ask me.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Jack knows im at the other end.. sometimes when he cant find the Dot he'll come up to me, poke the part of the pen where the light comes from with his nose then look were he thinks im pointing... quite smart if you ask me.
This is the perfect example of a healthy, interactive relationship! When he meows, its a "common, I wanna play some more." communication. I occasionally pull out the laser pointer, if I remember a couple times a month. Otherwise Maia looses interest, the fascination is old!
She will give this bored, superior expression as if to say, "NEXT!" ...............