Do your cats visit the neighbours?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in a townhouse complex, and Stumpy LOVES visiting the neighbours. If our neighbours on either side leave their back door open while she's outside, she invites herself in and goes exploring
One of my neighbours was upstairs brushing his teeth one day when Stumpy appeared in the bathroom doorway

She was just outside, and I went out to call her in since I hadn't seen or heard her in a little while. My neighbour on the other side said she was over visiting her - Stumpy came straight home when I called though.
She loves going next door on that side because she eats the food of Cleo the kitty who lives there, eats her grass, scratches on her cat tree, and just now, was sitting in my neighbours front window watching the world go by - apparently it offers a slightly different view from my window. Silly girl!

Do your cats go visiting?

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rocky tries to get out of my apartment (presumably to visit the neighbors) but gets panicky if he gets too far away from Meowmy. Oliver doesn't care -- he wants people to come to *him*.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hennessy's indoors. The few times he's been out (on a leash) he seems to take pleasure in 'finding' the downstairs neighbors cat (who just wonders WTH is in her yard!)

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky loves our neighbor Barb. He cries at his spot by the fence so she can pick him up for hugs. Then he inspects her garden and comes back over thru the gate.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie is an indoor cat only so no. Although one night last year, while I was at work, my DH didn't shut the door tight and he got out. I didn't realize he was missing until I got home at 12 am. The next day I asked my neighbor if she had seen him and she said her daughter told her there was a b/w cat hanging around there garage harassing their dog. She didn't know it was my cat so she sprayed him with the hose to chase him off.
I wanted to take off work to look for him but couldn't miss but my mom came over when she got off at 5pm and found him.
She took him home with her until I got off work. I was so worried the whole time he was gone because he's never been outside before that.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As much as I try to keep Duke inside, he does get out. He loves to visit with the people behind me.
They have two small dogs and he loves to torment them

He will sit on thier porch and DEMAND to be petted and fed

cooper38

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy Sampson absolutely loves to visit his human friends. He has scared the ever loving heck out of me plenty of times by taking extended journeys across town; across busy streets and everything. Awhile back I moved from my house across town to a house on the lake maybe 4-5 miles away and he trecked back to his old neighborhood a few times. He made really good friends with a widowed older gentleman who lived in the house across the street from the old house and I guess missed him. I'd get the call after he'd been missing for a few days and it was always the same. "Hello...is this Mark? Well Sampson showed up over here yesterday and I fed him and he's sleeping on my lap now. Don't hurry over now."

Haha it about broke my heart because I could tell that old fella loved Sampson and missed him dearly. Sampson isn't a lap cat at all, so he must have loved him back to be sleeping on him. He must have liked the quiet and had a bond with the guy. I'd always give them a day or so to spend some time and then go swoop Sampson up. Cooper would be worried about his brother anyway, otherwise I'd have let him stay for extended periods as I'm of the firm belief that cats should have at least some say in what they do with themselves. I have since moved again to a more distant location, so Sampson doesn't roam across town anymore. He does have a pretty good parameter he's set-up in our neighborhood though, and all the neighbors know him by name lol.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, too risky. The nearest cat friendly neighbor is 2 houses away. In between are people who do not like cats and have dogs that feel the same way.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two are inside kitties, but they do try to visit the cats in the flat downstairs. If Bella gets out of our flat she'll dash downstairs and sit in front of their door meowing

My parents have had a neighborhood cat visiting for years...he stops by once a day, gets a treat (usually greenies), some head scritches and goes off on his merry way...

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties are indoors only so nope, they don't visit. I took them to the vet yesterday and Pepper was on the leash and he tried to visit EVERYONE at the vets office. He tried to visit all the critters in the back, walked all over the pet food, and visited everyone in the waiting room
. Such a goofball!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats visit the neighbours, but the main one they like lives right next door to me. The reason for that is because she occasionally feeds them.

A few years ago, one of my cats (Percy) done a vanishing act on us. We looked everywhere for him, with not much luck. One day we had our neighbour knock at our door with Percy in her arms, she had been caring for him as one of her own without informing us! Percy had enjoyed her company that much he moved next door
In the end, we let her keep him, and he did come back to us every now and then for a brief visit after that

(R.I.P. Dear Percy
)

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm in a townhouse complex, and Stumpy LOVES visiting the neighbours. If our neighbours on either side leave their back door open while she's outside, she invites herself in and goes exploring
One of my neighbours was upstairs brushing his teeth one day when Stumpy appeared in the bathroom doorway

She was just outside, and I went out to call her in since I hadn't seen or heard her in a little while. My neighbour on the other side said she was over visiting her - Stumpy came straight home when I called though.
She loves going next door on that side because she eats the food of Cleo the kitty who lives there, eats her grass, scratches on her cat tree, and just now, was sitting in my neighbours front window watching the world go by - apparently it offers a slightly different view from my window. Silly girl!

Do your cats go visiting?
Persi has never been outside in his two years of life. Alley is a rescued cat but in the one year she has lived with me, she also has never been outside. Both of my cats get quite angry however when neighbors' cats come a calling at our windows.

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nope...they dont' go outside without me...
however, my neighbors tabby does come and sit on my steps and meow at my window for my cats...
its kinda cute.

hyper piper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up we had a neighborhood dog. We had just moved in, and this real friendly, gentle, black dog comes walking up to the house like he knows us. Just sits down outside. We were worried he was lost, ran next door to ask the neighbors if they knew anyone with a dog like this. They're like, "Oh no, that's just Shadow. He lives a couple streets over, probably wants you to feed him."

I loved that dog. He would just go visiting all day long, saying hi to families. Everyone knew him, everyone loved him. The area got too crowded then for it to be safe for him to just walk around, but it was kind of fun while it lasted. Like having a kindergarten class pet all over again.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got the ones that are strictly indoors, & the farm kitties. The farm kitties are too lazy to go anywhere.
I'm OK with that, I prefer that.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago when I lived in a four-unit apartment building my tuxedo boy, Willy, used to love to visit the neighbors. He use to stroll right in to the apartment of the woman who lived across the hall from me, just like he owned the place.
She loved having Willy visit her.

Now, the only one of mine who's bold enough to go visiting is Gracie. She's been known to wander in to my downstairs neighbor's apartment and make herself at home. I try to be careful, though, because Gracie got in there once without me knowing when my neighbor wasn't home and chewed on her plants. Fortunately, my neighbor is very understanding.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeh, i alway's spot Sparkle & Glamorous, wondering into the neighbour's garden's LOL!
doesn't happen all that often though, they prefer to be indoor's with mummy!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your neighbors are very tolerant. I know some that if some kitty had wondered into their home, they wouldn't have been so laid back about it. One of my neighbors in high school shot and killed the kitties that visited his home
My cat is indoors so she doesn't visit anyone. Which is good, less chance to get ran over or hurt by dogs or humans. Curiosity killed the cat, mine is way too outgoing to understand danger, every dog and human is her "friend" (and probably every human garden her litterbox, ew!) I don't like random cats visiting me since they annoy my dogs (and possibly could get hurt) and my cat and poop and pee all over my property, more specifically my gardens.