The amazing hearing of cats!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't know how she does it - but Ming Loy comes running to the kitchen ONLY when it's time for dinner, I'm filling the food dish, or there are treats involved. I don't know how she can tell the difference between me pouring something out for us - and me pouring something out for them - or me opening a can of cat food or me opening a can of tomatoes - but she does it.

Other cats can even wander into the kitchen, and we'll be making noise, cooking or making whatever, opening cans, clanking things around - and unless we actually take treats out, she won't come running until we take those treats out! AND before we even take any out! It is truly amazing!

However, of the bunch, she seems to be the only one with supersonic hearing.

Are your cats totally tuned into JUST food that relates to them?

Laurie

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, according to K-Pants, if it's food, it relates to him
However, the only time he'll actually start meowing and rubbing up on me is when he gets fed in the morning (it's the only "routine" feeding time.) If it's any kind of food, he's interested... but he'll only act cute for his breakfast
I think it has more to do with the time of day than with his hearing, though.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sound of a particular tupperware lid opening (the old fashioned kind that you close by using your elbow in the center) brings cats THUNDERING toward me.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Absolutely, positively yes!!

I swear that they are little mind readers. But of course if you feed generally the same time each day, they do have outstanding body clocks. I feed wet at 7PM. At about 6:55, they all come out from the nooks and crannies of the house and surround me tapping their little feet. The time change throws them for a loop for a while.

My dogs are actually better mind readers. They get the occassional cheese slice treat. They know when I place my hand on the fridge door to open it if I intend to open it for cheese. Ditto goes for the pantry door for dog treats.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep their dry food in a large tin can. Anytime I tap on the lid whether it's softly or loudly or even by accident, they ALL come rushing in from different directions. I say it's super hearing.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I really don't know how she does it - but Ming Loy comes running to the kitchen ONLY when it's time for dinner, I'm filling the food dish, or there are treats involved. I don't know how she can tell the difference between me pouring something out for us - and me pouring something out for them - or me opening a can of cat food or me opening a can of tomatoes - but she does it.

Other cats can even wander into the kitchen, and we'll be making noise, cooking or making whatever, opening cans, clanking things around - and unless we actually take treats out, she won't come running until we take those treats out! AND before we even take any out! It is truly amazing!

However, of the bunch, she seems to be the only one with supersonic hearing.

Laurie
This is not about food but quite interesting to me. In the back of the house (not where Alley hangs out) is a massage chair. When I start it up, Alley comes running in to jump up on me and massage my front! But here is the uncanny thing: if somebody else uses the chair, she stays in the front of the house when it is started.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Absolutely, positively yes!!

I swear that they are little mind readers. But of course if you feed generally the same time each day, they do have outstanding body clocks. I feed wet at 7PM. At about 6:55, they all come out from the nooks and crannies of the house and surround me tapping their little feet. The time change throws them for a loop for a while.

My dogs are actually better mind readers. They get the occassional cheese slice treat. They know when I place my hand on the fridge door to open it if I intend to open it for cheese. Ditto goes for the pantry door for dog treats.
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

This is not about food but quite interesting to me. In the back of the house (not where Alley hangs out) is a massage chair. When I start it up, Alley comes running in to jump up on me and massage my front! But here is the uncanny thing: if somebody else uses the chair, she stays in the front of the house when it is started.
They MUST be mind-readers. I still can't figure how Ming Loy KNOWS when it's food for her. Dinner, of course, is always served around the same time, so that's no miracle. But the random treats when we're doing something else in the kitchen - and BEFORE we get the treats out of the bag. I mean - there just can't be any noise that signals her.

And actually, now that I think about it - pretty much the same with Flowerbelle. And she's DEAF. The only time she doesn't come running when someone else is getting treats is when she's sound asleep.

Laurie

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hehehe funny cuz my kitty does the same thing. my old one did too! it always amazed me too. they are soooo cute

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just the food that relates to them?? Mercy, no!! Only the food that relates to ME!!
I have no idea how they do it, but they know the difference between me making a sandwiich for myself, or my making one for their skinkid sister!! You see, their "sister" will not share with them...but meowmy does!!
It's more like esp, instead of SS hearing!!
They can be sound asleep in their bedroom, but the minute I fix MY sandwich, they are at my feet.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I can't find Blossom I will undo her cat food bag & she always comes running. If she doesn't I go searching for her & she's usually locked in a room. It's so funny to watch & hear her. There'll be a thump when she jumps down from where ever she is.