Holiday ideas in Mexico

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I need to get away for a long weekend. We're both feeling quite stressed with life in general and need to lie in the sun and chill out.

I though it would be nice to go to a beach in Mexico since we haven't been anywhere in Mexico yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations of areas that are not too expensive, not too touristy, and has nice beaches? We'd be flying from San Francisco.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never been to Mexico, but laying out in the Sun sounds nice and relaxing! Have lots of fun! I'm sure you can Google Mexico and tons of locations will be waiting for you

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been to Ixtapa, Huatulco and Cancun. Cancun was my favorite, and we plan to go back this summer. Huatulco is the least developed. Both Huatulco and Ixtapa are both on the Pacific side of Mexico and the waves are lots stronger, and the water temperature cooler. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Have fun.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been, and to be honest given all the horror stories I've heard about people getting sick there, I don't think I want to go!

My only advice to you is to:

1. Don't drink the water!
2. Don't use ice cubes!
3 Get a Hep A shot before you go.

Oh, that and wear a good sun block!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

Cancun was my favorite, and we plan to go back this summer..
....well my friend, unfortunately CanCun is almost near of my city but not at all....

But if you want to know more about CanCun here it is..

http://cancun.gob.mx/guiaturistica2/

My City is a 20 minutes from PROGRESO yucatan beach,....and here you can learn more about my beaches...
http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinat...g-progreso.htm
let me know what you think my friend!..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely hated Cancun for 2 reasons: the city hasn't been around that long and it has no native culture. We couldn't even find a decent Mexican restaurant there. It was also loaded with underage kids that were not only drinking, but bragging about the drugs they found there.

My personal favorite: Puerto Vallarta. It's a sleepy oceanside town with a lot of character. Stay away from Neuva Vallarta unless you are one that likes resorts. Give me an old hotel in the Downtown or Romantic Zone anyday!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Puerto Vallarta was one I was just looking at on Expedia. Thanks for that recommendation, maybe we'll go there.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Playa del Carmen is a nice little town. It's more touristy than it used to be, but we saw lots of restaurants, a square with what appeared to be typical small-town activities, etc.

The nearest airports would be Cancun, probably, or Cozumel. From Cozumel, you have to take a ferry to the mainland.

http://playadelcarmen.com/

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Puerto Vallarta was one I was just looking at on Expedia. Thanks for that recommendation, maybe we'll go there.
There are restaurants that line the beaches and all serve yummy drinks. We would drag our butts out of bed about 10AM, grab some breakfast, then get to the beach in time to claim our daily palapas. By 11AM I start ordering Pena Daquaria pour favour (pineapple daquari). At sunset the tradition is a shot of tequila.

We don't do much while down there. It's a great place to unwind.