Oci update

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nearly a year ago now I posted here and you were all so helpful and expert in your advice re. a couple of minor problems we had with our two new chocolate/silver Ocicat kittens, so I figured I'd post a gorgeous photograph taken by a friend of one of them, Pherber.

Pherber and her brother Chas are almost a year old now and fabulous as ever. I cannot believe how lucky we got with this breed. They are sociable, outgoing and wonderful with the children; when they hear the cacophony of seven year-olds at play in another room, they run towards it, not away from it, eager to join in the fun. Pherber likes to play fetch and they are, just as is written about them, dog-like in their devotion to "their" people. I think they believe we are their pets, not the other way around. And they are very sweet towards our ancient Persian, Chelsea (20 years old!), who now tolerates them and allows them to curl up with her when it's cold but who is not keen on Chas's attempts to roughhouse with her.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and here is the pic!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up gorgeous
Glad you're having fun with them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow they are nice - more pictures please. Glad things are going well. I'll be a multiple Oci owner next year. Have placed an order for a show alter boy in cinnamon or cinnamon-silver
Can't wait

Charlie, our current Oci is doing very well in the shows - this weekend he made 7 out of 8 finals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I read about Charlie's accomplishments. Go Charlie!

They are such a wonderful breed that it is difficult to imagine owning anything else. With their small, pointed faces, long legs and elongated torsos they look -- and move -- like cheetahs.

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I agree, but they shouldn't have "pointed" faces - its a moderate wedge with rounded muzzle
Right, I stand corrected. And the mistake was mine, not my breeder's! She (the breeder) felt that Pherber was definitely show-quality but when a family (i.e. ours) contacted her wanting two cats as pets, she could not bring herself to split up the last pair within the litter that had "bonded" so powerfully to each other.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what's to stop you from showing the one: even taking both to the show and just showing the one cat. If he is show quality, then get out there and show him

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

So what's to stop you from showing the one: even taking both to the show and just showing the one cat. If he is show quality, then get out there and show him
She's neutered and I think I recall agreeing not to show her, along with the undertaking not to declaw, to neuter both kittens and never to allow them outside. I love cat shows -- and would happily come cheer Charlie on if/when he "plays" Los Angeles -- but I'm happy for my gorgeous Ocis to be pets only!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can show neutered/spay cats. Its up to you, but if the breeder says she was show quality, she might be happy to let you show her. Most breeders look for show homes for the show kittens, but don't find a lot.

Jack's breeder is thrilled that I will be showing her cats. She's very happy to find a show home

Thanks for the offer, but we will stick to shows in our area (MN, WI, IA, ND/SD) - within 6 hrs of traveling.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cool thing is that us Oci owners have (or will have) a variety of the colors
Chocolates, chocolate-silver, Tawny, Lavendar, and Cinnamon or Cinnamon-silver.

Too bad we can't get them all on one photo to show the colors