Mystery illness, herpes?

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After reading one of the other threads I'm suspecting that perhaps Ginger has this.

I find the vets here quite hopeless and so consult the wisdom of this website.

When I found her, one eye was just about turned inside out just like on the herpes website and ever since has always been a bit smaller and always weepy.

She sneezes quite regularly, sounding quite stuffed up and snotty.
She usually gets chucked in the bathroom or outside until she's done as it usually ends up upchucking.

Also lately she's developed an intolerance for dry food, with it usually ending regurgitated within an hour of eating it.
I've lost count of the amount of brands I've tried.
She always ate Royal Canin since kittenhood but now...

And lastly she always seems to have these little groups of red lumps at various points on her torso and also near her *butt.
She very sensitive about these being inspected and I've tried in vain to get a photo. The fur is always nibbled short around these patches.

The main reason I'm worried is that I have to fly her from Japan to NZ in 3-6 months and I'm worried that she may get turned away with these little health problems.

Can anyone help me with these concerns or know anything about the MAF import rules for NZ? I've tried looking at the site but there's really not much info on what they will and won't accept for cats.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard Lysine (in the vitamin section) works wonders for this.

Crush a tablet in the bottom of the food bowl daily and mix with a little wet food.

When I first got Lola I think she had some form of this.
I started using the Lysine and it would go away.
When it reappears which is rare now, I just use another tablet crushed in the food.

Hope this helps!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

I have heard Lysine (in the vitamin section) works wonders for this.

Crush a tablet in the bottom of the food bowl daily and mix with a little wet food.

When I first got Lola I think she had some form of this.
I started using the Lysine and it would go away.
When it reappears which is rare now, I just use another tablet crushed in the food.

Hope this helps!
you can get lysine in capsule form, too - easier than crushing a tablet, you just open the cap!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like she has more than one thing going on. I'd check the red spots for ringworm or flea bites. She may also need an antibiotic to help with the upper respiratory issues (sneezing, runny eye) in addition to the Lysine.

I'd continue looking for a vet who's willing to work with me and my kitty, too. So, if your regular vet just passes you off or acts nonchalant, I'd look for another vet.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought about ringworm but the spots are in random groups, not circular so the vet ruled it out.
She's been on antibiotics twice to no effect for this.

I don't think its fleas either as I treat her regularly with drops to kill any, not that I've ever noticed any.

*sigh* Do you think she'll pass quarintine?