Fat kitten after being fixed

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 kittens which were ferals that I took in. I had all 4 spayed/neutered and one of the four, a female, has gained a ton of weight. The other three, two males and a female, have stayed thin. She doesn't seem to eat more than the others so I am concerned it may be something else. I would say the other kittens are around 3-5lbs while she is easily 8lbs or so. They are around 3 months now I think.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 3 months they should all be around 3lbs or so. The one sounds severely overweight. I would take her to the vet and have them check her out. Meanwhile, are you free feeding them? Definitely stop doing that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I am free feeding, but it would be tough to stop since I have 7 lol. I may be over estimating the weight but there is definitely a couple pound difference between one and the other three. It is also visually obvious. Yeah I need to make an appointment, but with work lately it has been tough.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by brennok

Yeah I am free feeding, but it would be tough to stop since I have 7 lol. I may be over estimating the weight but there is definitely a couple pound difference between one and the other three. It is also visually obvious. Yeah I need to make an appointment, but with work lately it has been tough.
Not necessarily, I had 7, now 6 and I put two large plates of food out twice a day. Just enough for each cat to have a serving. Just monitor it for awhile and see if one cat is hoarding it and one might be left out or something.

Food quality is important too. What are you feeding them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brennok

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Purina Indoor mixed with Nutro indoor.

As it stands now I have two of those double plastic food/water bowls which are filled with food. I only have to top it off every couple of days though so they aren't going through it that quickly.