Kitten's first show! Results and pics

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the kittens to a show this weekend. It was "Roxy" the Maine Coon's first show and Church's (and my) second. Roxy is about 4.5 months old and Church just turned 5 months. It was at the Chicagoland Family Pet Expo which is a huge all-pet show held at Arlington International Racecourse (they have a big multi-level building.) They called it a "Household Companion Cat Contest" or something because it wasn't sponsored by any of the cat orgs but the setup was pretty much the same. There was also a CFA show for purebreds only going on in another part of the building that was separate. Roxy is polydactyl so she couldn't enter the CFA show.

The household cat show had two judges yesterday and two today with finals (top 10), then today they did a 'best trick' and 'best costume' competition and then at the end today they did "best in show" which was the top 10 cats with the most points over the two days. There were 17 cats entered.

Yesterday, Church got 5th place with one final and got a "special award" (meaning did not final) certificate for the other which was "Most Playful". Roxy got FIRST place in both finals!!

Today, Church got 8th place in one final and a "special award". Roxy got 5th place in one final and 3rd in the other. I entered them both in the costume contest and Church got first place.
I had him dressed as a punk kitty in a cat dress, a leather studded "belt" (actually a dog collar) and a leather bracelet and matching collar. I own a plaid skirt and a top that look a lot like the cat outfit, but the skirt doesn't fit me so I had my friend's 12 year old sister who came with us wear the matching outfit. Roxy was actually supposed to wear the punk costume because it's a dress, but she hasn't grown into it yet, so we just told Church it was a kilt.

And lastly, Roxy got Best in Show!! Not bad for her first ever show!

I was surprised at their behavior. I expected Roxy to be shy or nervous, she can be shy sometimes with strangers. Church was pretty relaxed and the other show he entered so I thought he'd be calm, but it was the opposite. Church acted a little nervous and hung in the back on the judging cages but was ok once he was out and played, but Roxy was totally unfazed. She meowed while waiting her turn but was fine with the judging and everything, and very interested in the toys.

Here are the photos I took at the show---

Roxy and her Best in Show ribbon with my friend's sister:

The second place winner in BIS, a van calico American Curl:

Our show cage with all the ribbons and certificates:

Here is Roxy getting judged:

Church and my friend's sister in costume:

On the ride home tonight, they were too tired to even get out of the carrier:

This was a "pet show" so there were all sorts of animals! I usually bring my dogs and I always volunteer at the Dog Scouts of America booth, so on Saturday a relative brought Ginger after the cat show ended, so we could help out at the booth:

These adorable pit bull terriers were at a pittie rescue booth (everyone was tired by Sunday afternoon!)

I was really surprised to see a toucan at one bird booth:

I also fell in love with a puppy who was up for adoption at a booth near the cat show... I thought he was a German Shepherd puppy but then I found out he's half Airedale! So adorable... You can see photos here: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=10402554

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! Look at those ribbons!!
Looks like you all had a great time!
Congratulations!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats. It might have been all the extra stuff that was going on and maybe Church smelled the dogs or just more noise in general. I've had cats that were a little more upset in show halls that were more noisy - and these were seasoned show cats.

We had a great weekend too. Charlie almost got his grand - he was one place away!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Congrats. It might have been all the extra stuff that was going on and maybe Church smelled the dogs or just more noise in general. I've had cats that were a little more upset in show halls that were more noisy - and these were seasoned show cats.

We had a great weekend too. Charlie almost got his grand - he was one place away!
You might be right about all the extra activity and noise. The judging area was right next to a railing where you could look down onto the first floor of the pet show, so it was very noisy. I was so surprised that Roxy did so well because she's usually a bit noise shy and has not had as much exposure to different places as Church has had. Church was even on a noisy movie set recently and it didn't bother him! He also usually ignores dogs-- in fact someone walked their dog right past the judging table when they had him up there and he didn't get scared. It's lucky it was him because I'm sure some of the other cats might have freaked out! I don't know why they didn't have a rope across the path or signs "keep dogs out" or something. The CFA show across the way had its own separate section from the rest of the pet show and a big "NO DOGS" sign at the front, but the 'household companion' show was kinda in the middle of things. You could see dogs at some of the booths a ways away and could hear squawking parrots!

That's great that Charlie almost got his grand! Too bad it didn't happen though, so close! Just one more show then?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no - he has 2 more shows till the end of the season - both he should do well in. Right now his average score puts him in 24/25th place in the Region and 49/50th Nationally. This is based on scores from last season.

He'll continue to go to shows next season till I get Jack and start showing him - so he'll be in another season.