New Foster Kitty!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a foster cat!

Her name is Christy, and she is a shy little dilute calico. At the shelter, she spent all her time hiding, and had to get away from the other cats in a dog crate they set up for her. She greeted me quite readily, liked being stroked, and generally is very comfortable around humans. The fifty-something cats at the shelter, however, stress her out severely. As soon as a cat comes near, she hisses.

It is thought that staying with me might allow her to relax and show more of her personality. I will also be trying to find a forever home for her--not necessarily as an only cat; but someplace where there is room for her to retreat and be by herself when she wants.

The lady who runs the shelter gave me her dog crate, which is where she feels safest. She has been installed in it, and a blanket put over the top.

At first, Tiny hid; and they both hissed. They seem to have adjusted, just barely, to the crate that smells of Other Cat.

Christy, on the other hand, is sitting in her litter box because it's furthest to the back of the crate (I've been told that's normal for her, but yuk!). She's got wide eyes and is looking around for other cats; she seems anxious but hasn't panicked. Hasn't eaten, either; but that's to be expected... I hope she relaxes; I hope Tiny and Baby adjust; I hope this will be good for her.

Anybody in the market for a beautiful, shy little calico?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Ohio, about half an hour from Dayton.

I thought I'd have pictures by now, but I've lost the cord to my digital camera... I'm going to shop for a replacement, and should have it by then.

What she looks like: Small, maybe eight or nine pounds. She has mostly cream and gray patches, with a white underbelly and little white paws. Very people friendly... not so cat-friendly.

My cats have been hissing at her, but she's been surprisingly easygoing about it. She was out of the crate and walking around the apartment today, carefully supervised, of course!

Still isn't eating much. Licked the gravy off some wet cat food, so at least there's something in her belly.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw Tiny lying next to the crate! I think he is getting curious...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is out and scoping out the apartment... and what's more, Tiny just touched noses with her!! This is amazing... hardly any hissing at all!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

She is out and scoping out the apartment... and what's more, Tiny just touched noses with her!! This is amazing... hardly any hissing at all!
Cooooooool!!!

Hmmm.... Dayton is a little far for me... I'm in the metro Detroit area.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's still not eating; I've got some of her old food and she won't touch it... sniffs it and then turns away... What could the problem be? Safe to tempt her with tuna juice? She's about 8 pounds, not skinny, just small. She licked the gravy off some wet food, and I think she ate a few bits of dry yesterday. She's using the litter box fine. But she's eating only about a tenth of what I expect, and it's worrying me...