TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Time to fix supper
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time to fix supper

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm getting ready to make spaghetti sauce for supper. Wish me luck...it's my first try from scratch.

But I HAVE been around long enough to know the secret is sweet basil and cheap red wine!
post #2 of 14
All the best Does one drink the wine first before making said sauce?
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I'm getting ready to make spaghetti sauce for supper. Wish me luck...it's my first try from scratch.

But I HAVE been around long enough to know the secret is sweet basil and cheap red wine!
And a bit of garlic and really good olive oil. Good luck!
post #4 of 14
Make sure to simmer a pigs foot in the sauce. It helps take out the acidity in the sauce.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1cat View Post
Make sure to simmer a pigs foot in the sauce. It helps take out the acidity in the sauce.
a pigs foot? never heard of it!

In our italian family, we put in a tea spoon of sugar to take out the acidity
post #6 of 14
Ooooh, I wish I was coming over! SPaghetti with homemade sauce is so good!
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Funny thing about the garlic. I put it in, but I heard a tomato expert (from Burpee's, I believe) on an NPR show this weekend, and he said garlic was a no-no with tomatos; he said it kills the taste. He said onions are the secret to a good sauce.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
He said onions are the secret to a good sauce.
A pigs foot.........I'm tellin ya
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1cat View Post
A pigs foot.........I'm tellin ya
You from Tennesse,too??
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Nope, my wife won't eat pork.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Funny thing about the garlic. I put it in, but I heard a tomato expert (from Burpee's, I believe) on an NPR show this weekend, and he said garlic was a no-no with tomatos; he said it kills the taste. He said onions are the secret to a good sauce.
I agree! Lots of onions wilted in olive oil, lots of chianti, tomato paste instead of sauce (to keep it thick), lots of basil, some oregano, some sage, and a little bit of garlic added at the end of the simmer-time, so it doesn't go bitter. Sometimes I throw in a little crushed red pepper, too.

Oh my. I may have to do some sketti for a midnight snack!
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by taterbug View Post
You from Tennesse,too??
Nope, Maryland
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Nope, my wife won't eat pork.
You don't eat the foot, its just there to flavor and absorb acidity.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwan View Post
a pigs foot? never heard of it!

In our italian family, we put in a tea spoon of sugar to take out the acidity
Yeah, we do the same thing with the sugar. Viva Italiano!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Time to fix supper