In need of more LB ideas!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've tried dozens of LBs for Bea, nothing works!

I've tried:
XL low sided box
XL high sided box
underbed storage tub 22"L x 16"W x 6"H
18 Gal rubbermaid tub with lid off (she refused to use it)
long & narrow LB with 10" high sides, she refused to use it
Tidy cat Breeze System (nothing stays in the box)

Right now I've got a 66 quart clear sterilite tub with one side cut down so it's 6.5" high.....she pees & poops out the cut down edge.....but if I don't cut down the edge she won't use it/can't get in it. She's also got access to a smaller to medium sized drawer outta a sterilite cart filled with litter, will see if that works but I don't think it's big enough for her.

She's always peed & pooped right along the edge of the LB.....not sure how to get her to use more towards the middle.

I've thought about buying a giant rubber stock tank & cutting down one edge in hopes she'd walk further into the LB, but don't want to waste the $$ if it won't work.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about a covered box?

Maybe a high sided box with a ramp up to the entry?

What about one of those Booda Domes?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's not the litter box but what you're using for as litter the problem?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have plastic litter catch mats outside of my litter boxes for those that like to occassionally pee out of the opening. The ones I have if you can find them are plastic trays with a plastic mesh top. It's easy for them to walk across and catches any overflow from the box. If you've at least got her walking into one type of box, although peeing out of the opening, this might work for you.

I probably found them at Petsmart. There's not a name on them but let me see if I can find them online for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She flat out refuses to use a covered box & will opt for a corner.

I've tried switching litters, but might switch her back to Swheat Scoop again to see if that helps.

I've considered plastic trays with rims to set the LB in & washing them 1-2x a day. Not sure if the lady wanting to adopt Bea is willing to do that, though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, instead of the stock tank, what about a child's wading pool? i bet you could find one pretty cheap somewhere like dollar general or big lots this time of year...
that's bigger than anything you've tried, plus quite low-sided already.
'course, i don't know if you will find any adopter that wants that particular option...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have this mental image of a gigantic pool in my house.
The gal adopting her lives in an apt, so while it would work out for me, I don't think it would for her....unless I can find a smaller one.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm just going to start trying stuff!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i looked online, but can't find an image of what i'm thinking of. they had these when my nephews were little [youngest is now 16] & they're solid rigid vinyl/plastic, kinda like a litterbox or rubbermaid tub, about 6-8 inches deep, & all one piece. KWIM? i'd think they were somewhere from 4'-6' in diameter.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bea is your lovely girl with the declaw problem if I recall correctly? I would try something really soft in terms of litter, if all else fails try sand, it mimics the cat's natural habitat more closely than proprietary brands of litter and is very soft underfoot. It's not the best in terms of odour control, but if you can get her trained into using the box at all it will be a start

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it makes a difference, she's been using Tidy cat's blue litter. I had to switch her from Swheat when she was first diagnosed with the UTI, it held the smell of urine so bad she refused to use the box & I don't blame her!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Cat Attract litter I'm wondering if it's more a litter queston than a box question? And, FWIW, my girl tends to like to pee in the corners of our litter boxes - think she just likes to, or likes to make me crazy.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm currently adding the CA additive to the litter. At first, she refused to use the box when I added the CA, so I'm not sure if it serves any purpose or not in her case.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Have you tried Cat Attract litter I'm wondering if it's more a litter queston than a box question? And, FWIW, my girl tends to like to pee in the corners of our litter boxes - think she just likes to, or likes to make me crazy.
i got one like that, too - i think it's Chip.
hey, but at least it's inside the litterbox!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This question is aimed at those of you who have corner pee-ers.....is everything still inside the LB?

I have no idea why Bea's a corner girl, I assumed because of the declaw/re-declaw. But she always goes in the box.....provided she can get in it. I mean, she's not going in a corner or anything, so I can't complain that much!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

This question is aimed at those of you who have corner pee-ers.....is everything still inside the LB?
well, mine is... he [assuming it's Chip] evidently places his back end at the back of the litterbox, facing out. kinda hard to explain - i have littermaids, & he pees right where the rake is.
makes clumps get stuck in the rake, but it's all inside!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea if this would help but when you said she's a corner pee-er this came to mind.

What if you took a rubbermaid like I dunno 12-14 inches high and in the middle of each side cut a space so that it was easily accessible but the corners were high to prevent the pee going over the side--does that make sense? If not I can draw a picture.

Leslie

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic is a terror for hanging his bum over the edge of the box when he does a poo. He is really particular about litter and some of them are just too horrible for his delicate little feet so he sits with all his paws on the edge around the corner of the tray and sometimes sticks his bum over the floor rather than over the tray
- always reminds me of the 'Princess and the Pea' story

If she's doing the balancing act over the corner and missing, it is probably more to do with the feel of the litter on her paws than anything else. We found that WBCL with its small soft grains was great, alas it's not that easy to come by here. Anything with big grains or a hard texture is just asking for poo on the floor here!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a lot of "edge" pee-ers. I also have a stand up to pee pee-er. All of my boxes have tall sides (for my stand up pee-er) and the one where I have the opening cut lower into the box is the one that they pee out the opening (the edge pee-ers). That's the one that I have the tray that's easiest to clean out.

For Bea, I see a taller box with an opening cut out on the side that sits inside a shallow box that is larger than the one that holds the litter.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She walks in the litter, digs around....then goes over the edge.
Whatever the reason, I think this lady will be OK with her "issue".....but if you figure she lives around 10-15 years....how long will she put up with it is my concern?

She just used the LB. I *think* all the peed stayed in it.....she wasn't doing anything differently, I don't think....other than being 1" lower with her aim!
She is, however, standing/peeing, not squatting like normal. That right there is our issue.