Is it ok to take Smudge out on a harness?

baby-freckles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even though we are not sure if she has had her injections? One of my friends said to see how she gets on outside, take her on a harness/leash and watch how she behaves. We have bought a harness, but just wondered if its ok to take her out without having her jabs? (We re not going to let her out on her own until she has had her injections, but wondered if its ok if we took her out ourselves?) We wont take her out if some people advise not to.

Any advice is much appreciated

Katie & Alex xx

carmeniris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
According to my cats' vet, except for the rabies shot which is requiered in this town, it's ok as long as I make sure my cats don't come close to other cats or their feces. I have a backyard that's fenced but my cats like the front yard also. I go out with them and I walk them using a leash. I tried the harness and both seem about to die. My male cat actually jumped straight up. Of course, I don't walk them too far as cats are not as easy to control as dogs. I've been doing it for the last 8 years.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I'd wait till she was updated on all her shots before exposing her to the outside, other animals, etc.

You can get her used to a harness/leash inside the house. How old is she and is she spayed yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baby-freckles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she has been spayed, she is two (we think, thats what the rescue centre told us!) We will have to keep her in for a while as funds are a bit tight atm and can only afford to get one lot of vaccinations done this month then the others next month. Being as we are not sure if she has had the starter injections (the first ones that are in two sets?) we think we will have to start from the begining and get them done. Our vet recons it will be cheaper to get the jabs done again rather than taking blood to see if she has had them done?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree to keep her in till you know she is protected

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO I'd wait till she was updated on all her shots before exposing her to the outside, other animals, etc.

You can get her used to a harness/leash inside the house.
I agree, as even with a fenced-in yard, other animals, especially cats, will be using/have used it.