The latest stats- not good

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here are the weights for today. Cuddles isn't going to make it if something doesn't change. I'm going out to get an eyedropper to try to get some KMR into him. He nurses on Rags, but I have to stay there and make sure that he stays on a nipple and doesn't get pushed off. He just gets pushed off or stops nursing too quickly.

\t12-Mar\t13-Mar\t14-Mar\t15-Mar\t16-Mar
Max\t126\t126\t130\t142\t152
Lovey\t100\t100\t100\t110\t114
Cyndi\t93\t94\t94\t106\t116
Belle\t93\t92\t92\t100\t106
Cuddles\t93\t88\t88\t92\t90
Punky\t93\t93\t96\t110\t118

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If only Max could like, split 50/50 with him or something... that kitten must be a giant compared to the rest!

I'm sure with you helping, Cuddles is going to have the best shot he possibly could. and HUGS!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may need to take Cuddles and feed her some formula while the others are eating, just to help her catch up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You may need to take Cuddles and feed her some formula while the others are eating, just to help her catch up.
I haven't been able to get him to take the bottle. I'm going to try with an eye dropper. I have to go buy one.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With his weight loss, it sounds as if Cuddles may have Fading Kitten Syndrome. Sometimes there is nothing you can do to prevent an unfavorable outcome, but there may be steps you can do to help him along, ESPECIALLY when caught early!

First you might try separating Cuddles from the rest of the litter for some private nursing time a couple times a day. If it seems he's not interested in a nipple (and try to get him to latch on to the hind teets) you can put some Karo Syrup on them to help.

Some times the kitten is too week to nurse, either on the mom or by bottle. Using an eyedropper (like you said) is a good idea. Be careful not to hold the kitten upside down.

Dehydration can set in FAST. If you notice him getting week/limp and/or you notice the skin doesnt spring back into position after it is pinched (on the back of the neck) you can administer dextrose subcutaneously. This is best done by a veterinarian, but if you must and you trust yourself, it can be done at home. The shelter teaches us to do this for fading or orphan kittens. The supplies can be bought at a store that sells cattle supplies (or maybe even a feed mill). Use a very small needle, we use 3ml 21g1 needles and 50 percent dextrose solution. Suck up 3ml into the needle, pinch the skin on the back of their neck and insert needle through the skin.

Lastly a kitten can be tube fed but you would definitely want a vet teach you how to do this and give you the supplies. Tube feeding can cause serious and fatal complications such as pneumonia and aspiration, and constipation/blockage of the intestines. This is a last resort, but often highly effective, method of trying to save a kitten.

I hope Cuddles turns the corner soon! You are doing a great job monitoring their weight. Often the difference between life and death is early intervention. Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping us posted.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the prayers and and advice you guys have been giving me today. I have not left the house all day and I go into Rags's room about once an hour. Cuddles is holding his own, but hasn't gained a gram. I make sure that he gets some private nursing time by moving the others aside when they seem to be sleepy and keeping them away from him if they are moving around. I have watched him nurse for prolonged periods today. He likes to take to his mom's nipple, but NOT the bottle. I haven't left to buy the dropper (or syringe) today. I might go ahead and wait until tomorrow because I have decided that I will get her and the babies in to the vet tomorrow. I'll call around until I find a vet's office that can get me in that day. I have to start my job on Tuesday. I was hoping that Cuddles would be doing better by then. He still might. His body condition actually seems fine. I don't think he is dehydrated. The skin pinch test is OK. The skin bounces back fine. Once when I had picked him up he urinated a little bit, so he is eliminating OK. If he were not so small, and I didn't know that he hasn't gained over his birth weight since birth, I would think he is fine. His activity level is normal. He doesn't stay off to the side of the other kittens. He snuggles in with the others when they sleep. When he nurses, I make sure he doesn't get interrupted, and he sucks until he drops off to sleep, still making little sucking motions with his lips. When he cries he's loud, but he doesn't cry excessively. He doesn't look gaunt. His body is firm with a little round belly. He's just tiny and not growing!

Rags sometimes makes wheezing sounds. I'm afraid the stress of birth and nursing has resulted in a little respiratory infection. That's another reason we have to go in tomorrow. I need to get her on antibiotics if she has one, so that the babies don't get it. Man, I was hoping this wouldn't be complicated!
I wish I could just enjoy the process, but all I can do is worry.
Sorry this is so wordy. I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pray that Rags is OK...
her babies need her.

Cuddles

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I don't like the wheezing, but she has no eye or nose discharge and she's not mouth breathing, so maybe it isn't too bad. I can't wait until tomorrow. I will feel much better after the vet sees them.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're getting them in, but just so you don't worry too much, I had 3 kittens weigh only 3 oz. at 2 days. At 3 weeks, my littlest teensiest one only weighed 5 oz. - and the largest was 8.9 oz. She acted like the other kittens, and wouldn't take a bottle for anything. So I'm hoping Cuddles is like my little Dumpling...

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that! It makes me feel better! I'm going to ask tomorrow if it is really necessary to bring them in, but I would like to know if Rags is having a breathing problem.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GayleMG

Thanks for that! It makes me feel better! I'm going to ask tomorrow if it is really necessary to bring them in, but I would like to know if Rags is having a breathing problem.
You're sure she's not purring? Because Elsa kneaded and purred when the kittens were nursing.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought of that, but it really doesn't sound like purring. I wish I really knew the right thing to do. I know a trip to the vet right now would be really traumatic and maybe dangerous, but what happens if she has a respiratory problem and I ignore it? I am really torn. I guess I'll call and bug the vet again.

UPDATE- I'm not sure this "wheezing" thing is anything to worry about. She might be snoring!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GayleMG

? I am really torn. I guess I'll call and bug the vet again.

UPDATE- I'm not sure this "wheezing" thing is anything to worry about. She might be snoring!
Watch Rags closely. If you are still concerned about her breathing in the minoring you can decided what to do then.

Sending more calming vibes to you, Rags and her sweeties.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had some advice to offer, but I'm a newbie too to this entire kitten thing.
It sounds as if you're doing all you can, and have been a terrific Meowmy!

I would at least call the vet tomorrow, to see what he/she has to say. I hope everything turns out all right!

~KK~