Handicapped but happy kitty

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a cat who has a problem...but he's clearly loved and happy. I believe he has cerebellar hypoplasia, caused when a pregnant cat gets sick and the kitten's cerebellum doesn't develop properly.

Best Friends animal shelter in AZ has been working with a number of these cats, and some have been adopted.

Isn't this a pretty kitty?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Here's a cat who has a problem...but he's clearly loved and happy. I believe he has cerebellar hypoplasia, caused when a pregnant cat gets sick and the kitten's cerebellum doesn't develop properly.

Best Friends animal shelter in AZ has been working with a number of these cats, and some have been adopted.

Isn't this a pretty kitty?

That is a pretty kitty, but I don't think the poster should have called it a drunken kitty, that was sad to me.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

What a horrible video!!!

She uploads it as "My Drunken Cat", when the poor thing has a handicap. Then she teases and laughs at him.
Yep, I think that she really loved the kitty, and I really don't think that she was making fun of it.

But it was sad to me, it made me wanna cry.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

Yep, I think that she really loved the kitty, and I really don't think that she was making fun of it.

But it was sad to me, it made me wanna cry.
Would you feel the same if that video had a child in it instead of a cat? I don't think so. A handicap is a handicap, and you don't make fun of and laugh about it and title the video "Drunken".

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Would you feel the same if that video had a child in it instead of a cat? I don't think so. A handicap is a handicap, and you don't make fun of and laugh about it and title the video "Drunken".
I didn't say that I supported her, I think it was horrible too when she called it a drunken kitty, I still think that she loved the kitty, and I would feel the same way if it had a child in it. I know that a handicap is a handicap. The person should have just worded it differently.

By no means do I support what she said.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, she DOES make it clear at the very beginning that the cat is not drunk, but rather has a handicap. And I didn't see anything in the video that didn't indicate the cat was perfectly happy and a willing accomplice in all the fun.

The kitty is clean, well-fed, and comes running when he's called. He lives in a clean, well-cared for apartment. I'm sure his people went through a lot getting him raised and litter-trained, etc., so I'm sure not going to criticize them for having fun with him, especially when he is clearly a willing participant. And, if you read the comments, you'll see that the cat jumps up on the furniture all the time by himself.

Imagine the life this little one had at the shelter. The workers may well have loved him, but they knew he was going to be very difficult to place. They probably seriously considered euthanizing him, just to save him from a miserable life in a cage. They had to tell potential adopters about his problem, about what he might or might not be able to do in the future, and what his chances were of living anything close to a normal life. I'd say he's adapted well, and his people clearly love him and care for him.

OK, "drunk kitty" was probably an unfortunate video title and not one I would have chosen, but it HAS gotten well above the normal number of hits for a cat video. It's had over 167,000 hits, and has over 650 comments.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, she DOES make it clear at the very beginning that the cat is not drunk, but rather has a handicap. And I didn't see anything in the video that didn't indicate the cat was perfectly happy and a willing accomplice in all the fun.

The kitty is clean, well-fed, and comes running when he's called. He lives in a clean, well-cared for apartment. I'm sure his people went through a lot getting him raised and litter-trained, etc., so I'm sure not going to criticize them for having fun with him, especially when he is clearly a willing participant. And, if you read the comments, you'll see that the cat jumps up on the furniture all the time by himself.

Imagine the life this little one had at the shelter. The workers may well have loved him, but they knew he was going to be very difficult to place. They probably seriously considered euthanizing him, just to save him from a miserable life in a cage. They had to tell potential adopters about his problem, about what he might or might not be able to do in the future, and what his chances were of living anything close to a normal life. I'd say he's adapted well, and his people clearly love him and care for him.

OK, "drunk kitty" was probably an unfortunate video title and not one I would have chosen, but it HAS gotten well above the normal number of hits for a cat video.
That is kinda what I was trying to say

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

it HAS gotten well above the normal number of hits for a cat video. It's had over 167,000 hits, and has over 650 comments.
The reason for the views is because of the term "My Drunken Cat."

Also, did you read some of the comments? Many are scolding her for making making fun of and laughing at a handicapped cat!

I reported that video as inappropriate. I think it's down right mean and not very nice to make fun of anyone or anything with a physical or mental handicap, be it a person or animal.

I seriously doubt that anyone here would find it acceptable if someone had posted a similar video containing a handicapped child being teased and laughed at, even if that child was in surroundings that were clean looking and the child looked "fed".

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I guess we're just going to have to disagree on this one. I don't see any abuse here. A cat doesn't care if you're laughing at him or with him, as long as you treat him well, and this cat has all the signs of a happy, healthy, well-cared for kitty who is bringing joy to his owners. I think the video shows that even a handicapped cat can find a good, happy home, and make his people love him. Using a provocative title to accomplish that may be a stroke of brilliance.

And yes, I might feel differently if it were a child, but I'd have to see it to say for sure.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't watch it. I've seen kittens with CH, how every day of their lives is a struggle.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The reason for the views is because of the term "My Drunken Cat."

Also, did you read some of the comments? Many are scolding her for making making fun of and laughing at a handicapped cat!

I reported that video as inappropriate. I think it's down right mean and not very nice to make fun of anyone or anything with a physical or mental handicap, be it a person or animal.

I seriously doubt that anyone here would find it acceptable if someone had posted a similar video containing a handicapped child being teased and laughed at, even if that child was in surroundings that were clean looking and the child looked "fed".
I agree with you, I think it is mean to make fun of anything that is handicapped, and I do think that the title of the video was wrong, I do believe that this woman loved her cat, and I do believe that she takes good care of it.

I do not think that you understand what I am trying to say.

catwoman_2669

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think what this wonam is trying to show is that even if a cat is handicapped it can still have a lot of fun and a full life. she might not chosen the right title for it but she gets her point across. i had 2 cats like that myself but sadly they both past away early in their life because they had a lot more problems then this cat and walking wasnt that easy for them either. but i loved them so much and i would adpoted a cat like that again and again. you can tell this woman loved her little guy and he loves her. and thats all that matters.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You know, I guess we're just going to have to disagree on this one. I don't see any abuse here. A cat doesn't care if you're laughing at him or with him, as long as you treat him well, and this cat has all the signs of a happy, healthy, well-cared for kitty who is bringing joy to his owners. I think the video shows that even a handicapped cat can find a good, happy home, and make his people love him. Using a provocative title to accomplish that may be a stroke of brilliance.

And yes, I might feel differently if it were a child, but I'd have to see it to say for sure.
I loved the video, and thank you for sharing!
The black kitty - Ming Loy - in my cat profiles has cerebellar hypoplasia, and we describe her as looking like she's a drunk with parkinson's - because that's what she looks like. I seriously doubt someone with Parkinson's would mind - because Ming Loy is not suffering as a result of her handicap.

I think the title of the video, if it's brought that many people to view it, was a stroke of brilliance. That was obviously a happy kitty, and that woman obviously loves her kitty very much. He's beautiful and happy and having fun! "Give me more treats!"

Because I see past the handicap, I thought it was really sweet and cute. I sure hope it will serve the purpose of helping people realize that handicapped kitties make wonderful pets.

Ming Loy LOVES life! Like Bebe, she can't jump - but she's got those strong front arms and can climb and pull herself up places with enough determination. She absolutely loves to play - and though she knows she can't chase the other kitties up the trees, she finds her ways to sneak attack them, steal their food, and generally enjoy playing with them, on them, and around them. They don't seem to mind she needs to prop herself up on them (or she'd fall over). They're very accommodating of her handicap.

I think people with a negative reaction to the video simply haven't had the joy of having a handicapped kitty, and as a result, can only see the handicap.

If I had a handicapped child, I would want to share a video of that child enjoying life despite her handicap. And if I were laughing with her while she was having fun, I'd be sorry for anyone who would make the mistake and believe I was laughing at her.

I believe it is only the title of the video that is in any way controversial, and I've already put my opinion on that out there.

I also think it needs to be taken in its context. That wasn't a handicapped feral kitty trying to cross a busy highway. THAT would be sad, inappropriate and depressing. That was a kitty having fun in its home, obviously well cared for and loved.

Laurie

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand people's sensitivity to seeing a handicapped person or animal.

I think the test I would apply here is, "If this cat were on Animal Planet's 'Animal Cops' or 'Animal Precinct,' would this video be the 'before' or 'after' video? Would it be what prompted the SPCA to seize the cat, or would it be showing how the cat overcame its rough start and was making a home a happier place?"

I personally think it would be that latter, and, having seen it, I would be more likely to adopt a special-needs kitty, rather than less likely.

And, as I mentioned earlier, I'm a big supporter of Best Friends, who work with a lot of animals that are considered "unadoptable" at most shelters.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can understand people are sensitive to seeing a person or animal with a handicap. But I've known many handicapped people, two of them quadriplegic. And the last thing they wanted in life is for people to feel sorry for them.

I truly wonder what people's reaction would be if the video didn't have that title. It seems to me a some people posting here reacted to the title and some people reacted to the handicap.

As to the title it was either unfortunate or brilliant. It certainly helped bring more people to the video, and I think that serves a good purpose in this case. If the kitty were actually drunk, I would have reported it as inappropriate content.

As to people reacting to the handicap, I think any negative reaction comes from either knowledge of what kitties like this suffer when they're feral - or from lack of experience, which to me means they're in no position to judge, and I'm sorry they weren't able to see past the handicap to what is obviously a happy and very loved kitty. I mean - this was hardly some kids in a park taunting a handicapped animal.

Laurie

shelly's dad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it was a great video. They were obviously playing and that kitty clearly rules that home, he was demanding more treats, following his mommy around. he wasnt cowering in a corner or running away. he was a "tail up" kitty!!!! anybody feeling sad for that kitty hasnt had the plesure of caring for a CH or otherwise handicapped kitty.

I'm just so surprised at all the negative reactions. Especially on this site i would have expected reactions like "wow, how wonderful of them to adopt this kitty!" Or "I wonder how long they've had the kitty?" or "I wonder if they had to do anything special to take care of Bebe when they brought him home?"

For those who don't remember because i don't post much on TCS, I'm Ming Loy's daddy (LDG's hubby). but i felt strongly enough about this one to take the time to say something, because that is a happy kitty. I hope the video helps others realize what wonderful family members any handicapped kitty can be and that people can learn to see past the handicap.

gary

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you notice the owner didn't fuss a bit when the kitty pulled itself up by its claws onto some fairly nice furniture?

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What a horrible video!!!

She uploads it as "My Drunken Cat", when the poor thing has a handicap. Then she teases and laughs at him.
i agree!
yeh, the kitty's very cute! why on earth is the person, making fun of a handicap kitty? that's heartless!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i can see why you posted this though, the kitty does look happy. what i meant by my other post was, she should of named it something more appropriate.

joke's some people find funny, other's may not. if you get what i mean?