High quality sliced/gravy type food?

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all...my guy gets two meals of wet a day, with dry left out during the day. He will not eat regular wet cat food (loaf-style). He only will eat chunky/gravy/sliced types of food. We tried some Merrick, and he did not like it....I think because there were (visible) veggies in it? Anyway, the winner for wet has been the Meow Mix pouches, and some Fancy Feast cans. I do only purchase the flavors without wheat gluten in the ingredients.

I feel I can do better with the quality of wet, but I can't seem to find higher quality wet food. I tried something called "By Nature" pouches, which seemed to have real chunks of meat in it, which he enjoyed.

Am I missing a higher quality sliced/chunky food? Or, do you think what I am giving him is sufficient? BTW-his dry food is Wellness Core mixed with Pro Plan kitten(Wellness is expensive, so I "cut" it).

Thanks!

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the Wellness pouches? My boy who hates most canned foods likes the Wellness pouches except for the Turkey and Duck one.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was also going to recommend the Wellness pouches. They're usually 75-99 cents each, depending on the store you get them in I guess.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can find Wellness Pouches, Nutro Pouches....but sliced/chunked high quality is hard to find. I've got a "gravy girl"....I go for Nutro/Nutro MAX pouches, Wellness pouches if I can get them, Pro Plan sliced cans, Friskies sliced cans....those are about all the ones I can think of atm.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most pouches have wheat gluten in them, so I can understand why you're having a hard time finding the right food. I think the only wheat-gluten free pouch out there is Wellness, but it's a good food. It's just expensive (like all pouches), about $1 a pouch. I'd have to feed Matilda 2 pouches at night after her dry in the morning or instead I would feed her 4 pouches each day (she is 9 lbs).

Here are some brands that are wheat-gluten free that are all chunky but have juice (they aren't the traditional pate style food)
Avoderm Select Cuts
Solid Gold
Tiki Cat (not all are grain-free, some might have wheat gluten)
By Nature Organics Canned

There are wheat gluten free types of Fancy Feast.

Is there a reason you are not buying food with wheat gluten other than last year's pet food recalls?

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would also recommend the Wellness pouches too. One of our cats is suffering from a UTI and loves the Turkey and Duck. They will also eat the Nutro MAX pouches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses! I have not done the nutro pouches because they seem like they have a low protein percentage--8%-9%...I was told by the vet to feed 10% or higher for canned food...anyone else heard this?

I will try the pro plan sliced, and the wellness pouches....and I am trying to stay away from the wheat gluten due to the pet food recall last year..

Thanks everyone!

pamalajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recommend the Wellness Pouches.

I had been feeding the Nutro Pouches before the melamine poisoning last year. I was terrified but no one here ended up sick. Because of that I would never feed my cats any Nutro products again. This is just my personal choice and
everyone needs to do what works best for their fur family.

Check out this video about a Nutro dog food plant in California.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have cats that will only eat the gravy style foods. They'll eat the pate style, but they leave a lot in their dishes. They really like the Pro Plan turkey and rice or chicken and rice. I also just bought a couple cans of Avoderm chunked food and they seemed to really like that. I know the Pro Plan is probably not the healthiest wet food out there, but it's a wet food that they will eat and enjoy. And they're all getting a high quality dry food as well.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pro Plan isn't a very high quality food, it does have some by-products FYI.

I forgot about the AvoDerm cans...the chunky ones I can feed the same can 2x in a row, one time they snub it, the other time they eat it.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Pro Plan isn't a very high quality food, it does have some by-products FYI.
Yea, I realized that and said it in my post. But if they're eating wet food, I'd rather have them eat that than none at all.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I wasn't aiming that a you.
Just realized that I didn't mentiont that in my post.....scatterbrained lately.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Oh I wasn't aiming that a you.
Just realized that I didn't mentiont that in my post.....scatterbrained lately.
Oh that's okay, I know what you mean
I just feel that as long as they're eating some wet then I'd rather them eat that than none. They do get a high quality dry. They used to eat Fancy Feast but I got them off that. It's also a budget thing as well.

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To the original Poster, first let me agree that while my cat will eat patte food she does not eat it with the vigor of sliced gravyish food.

The wellness pouches are new to the market and unless otherwise known it is still manufactured by the contractor responsible for last years recall. I liked Welness and Buffalo and Nutro but the realization that they were subcontracting their wet food seemed very egregious.

I quickly found Evangers, whom only make pate wet foods, but they are so rich Korina was happy to eat it (although she was used to eating nutro pouches almost every day).
Their cans of Braised Chicken and Butternut Squash are 1.50, Holistic Pheasant is a little cheaper.
They are also one of the few wet foods that are 100% USDA Organic.

I then now found a brand Merrick which has some varieties that could be considered "gravy style" (grammys pot pie, turducken, thanksgiving dinner). Unlike Nutro you can see the texture of the meat in Merrick, not processed slices (gross when you look at em side by side).
These are grain free and cost 1.29

Than even more recently I discovered Nature's Variety. This stuff looks like pate but it's NOT. My cat goes NUTS for Nature's Variety Instinct wet (Chicken, Duck, Rabbit). They claim their product is "95%" which I guess means 95% of its gross weight is derived from either a chicken duck or rabbit.
It's a little more expensive. The chicken is 1.50 and duck and rabbit are 1.70 or 1.80.
This is the food that my cat fiends for, It is the only food I give her where she will eat the whole serving (half of 5.5oz can) in one sitting (other wets she finishes after 2-3 sittings over a few hours).

Now the good news to the Original Poster is that you are lucky enough to have a store in your town that stocks all this stuff.
They are called Pet Depot and they are in Timonium, MD.

Don't forget they offer a 10% discount when you buy 24 pack cases or even mix/match of brand if prices are even.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I work out in Owings Mills, so I will swing by Pet Depot one of these nights after work....

Looking forward to trying out some new stuff for him!

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Eliot'sMom

Thanks for the info! I work out in Owings Mills, so I will swing by Pet Depot one of these nights after work....

Looking forward to trying out some new stuff for him!
Also, a little FYI, even though Evangers might not interest your cats they do not stock it their shelves, they can however order it for you and it is CHEAPER than it is when you go to http://www.evangersdogfood.com/.

They don't cary EVO 95% Wet, but again can order it (case only).

Yea it's also a real cool shop because it definatly seems privately owned. If only 50% of pet stores mirrored this place pets would be so much healthier.
They don't sell any junk food, nutro is the bottom of the barrel there.

And of course if you are a dog owner this store is even better (like every where
) They also have a indoor pool for dogs (funny to watch).