$1.10 a day for litter: Is that about average?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I spent $8.80 seven and a half days ago for 30 pounds of Tidy Cats cat litter.

By tonight the litter will be mostly gone - so eight days for a price of $8.80

Just curious how much you spend on litter. I think Tidy Cats is SUPERB for odor control (which is why I prefer it) but sadly, it doesn't clump. It's a crumbly litter which I find a little 'wasteful.'

Just looking to hear comments from you. Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I pay about 8 a month //// I use feline pine clumping or swheet schoop or chickne feed

cindarella524

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that is a lot-- I have two cats too and I use scoop away or fresh step-- they both smell nicely and clump very well--one box (14 lbs) will last me about two weeks-- i put a thick base in after i clean the box, scoop every day and add a little fresh litter every other day. i would estimate i spend about $12 a month for litter.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We buy the big jug of Tidy Cat clumping litter. We have two adult cats who use their one box, and we clean it at least once per day. We buy one jug per month, which is about $15, so it's 50 cents or less per day.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use feline pine clumping (scoop). It costs about $4 for a 4lb box.... 4lbs is about the same volume wise as a 30-40lb box of the clay litter. My three cats go through a little over 2 boxes per month. So roughly $8 for 3 cats for 1 month.

Art

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a 35 lbs bucket up in two months. One kitten, 7 months old.

Leslie

**I can't imagine using one a week.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a lot. We use about 20 lbs. of clumping litter per month for two cats (one box). That's $7-10 a month, depending on the brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cindarella524

I think that is a lot-- I have two cats too and I use scoop away or fresh step-- they both smell nicely and clump very well--one box (14 lbs) will last me about two weeks-- i put a thick base in after i clean the box, scoop every day and add a little fresh litter every other day. i would estimate i spend about $12 a month for litter.
Thanks everyone for sharing. Cindarella $12 a month, cool, that's excelent for NYC. I do remember Scoop Away had good clumping but from what i remember I didn't care for its dust. I'm gonna try to find Scoop Away Clumping. Haven't seen it but will definitely look. There's still half a bag left which is 5 pounds so I'll "adjust" ("guesstimate") my cost @ 95 cents a day which is still a lot compared to all the responses so far. Just to let everyone know, I'm not obsessed or anything, just curious

Thx

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

I use feline pine clumping (scoop). It costs about $4 for a 4lb box.... 4lbs is about the same volume wise as a 30-40lb box of the clay litter. My three cats go through a little over 2 boxes per month. So roughly $8 for 3 cats for 1 month.

Art
Wow, this is kinda cool to know. I was going to say I have 7 cats and go through 4 boxes of Feline Pine clumping a month.

We seem to go through about the same amount per cat.

I LOVE this litter. Switched from Tidy cat long lasting odor control scoop, which I liked. But then they changed the clump size and it just didn't work as well.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use an off brand of Feline Pine (same stuff, just cheaper) and spend about $7-8 a month on litter. It's $9 for a 20lb bag.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

Wow, this is kinda cool to know. I was going to say I have 7 cats and go through 4 boxes of Feline Pine clumping a month.

We seem to go through about the same amount per cat.

I LOVE this litter. Switched from Tidy cat long lasting odor control scoop, which I liked. But then they changed the clump size and it just didn't work as well.
hmm, I will also be on the lookout for Feline pine clumping. ...from what i remember when FP first came out it was these huge pellets (reminded me of rabbit food or something) and the product simply didnt make sense to me, but i love it when companies come out with new products for us to decide whether we like the new products or not. .... one thing i hope i wont miss about TC is TC's unsurpassed and superior (no joke) odor control. i mean, wow, i even wrote to TC saying the no-odor aspect of their product is unsurpassed. but i hate how it crumbles.

i still have some of the TC bag from 9 days ago and currently there's still good litter in the box so i'm gonna bring down my "guesstimate" to 90 cents per day (which is still high for this thread) _ Thanks to everyone for sharing

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

hmm, I will also be on the lookout for Feline pine clumping. ...from what i remember when FP first came out it was these huge pellets (reminded me of rabbit food or something) and the product simply didnt make sense to me
The stuff we use is the pellets and it works great. It's also the stuff that you can flush in small amounts (like when you scoop), and I don't think it's safe for you to flush the clumping litter. That's the biggest plus to the regular pellets for me.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy a large bag of World's Best every 2 months for 2 cats so depending on what you pay in your area for WB you could work out the price daily/weekly.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They still have the FP pellets... I'm actually using those in a box as well... kinda difficult to use without the sifting box though (I might have to make my own).

The only thing I don't like about the FP scoop is the dust... It is so light that the small particles of pine (saw dust basically) get on my cat's face. If you have a LH cat might be worse... my cats are SH and they still get it stuck on their faces.

Art

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use chicken laying crumbles (chicken feed) 50 pounds for 16 dollars, last around 2 or three months, clumps, no dust, organic, no sickening fragarance or chemicals.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use World's Best Cat Litter, I have 2 cats and 2 boxes. I go through the large 17 lb. bag in about 3-4 weeks. The bag is about $17. To me, it's worth it.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I use World's Best Cat Litter, I have 2 cats and 2 boxes. I go through the large 17 lb. bag in about 3-4 weeks. The bag is about $17. To me, it's worth it.
I, too, think highly of WBCL but in my nose's humble opinion, TC has a slight edge over WBCL in the odor control department.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

So, I spent $8.80 seven and a half days ago for 30 pounds of Tidy Cats cat litter.

By tonight the litter will be mostly gone - so eight days for a price of $8.80

Just curious how much you spend on litter. I think Tidy Cats is SUPERB for odor control (which is why I prefer it) but sadly, it doesn't clump. It's a crumbly litter which I find a little 'wasteful.'

Just looking to hear comments from you. Thanks
I buy the clay litter from Tidy Cats, 20 lb bag for $6. It last about 1 month. That's 20 cents a day.

It depends on how many cats you have. I only have one.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 7cats, 7 litter boxes. Sam's has Tidy Cat' sin the 38 lb bucket for $11.73. I dump and scrub my boxes once a month, but I think Tidy Cats clumps just fine, as long as its the new kind that says Tidy Lock on the side. I also use almost a whole bucket in one litter box. I have extra large covered boxes and cats who like to dig and pee and cover, so I make it really deep to try to avoid them peeing on the bottom on the box and it sticking to it.