IDEAS PLEASE! Fussy friends birthday present!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, I need some NO FAIL ideas for a birthday present.

My friends birthday is today and I am going over there tonight and we are supposed to go to a movie or something.

This woman is so picky and anal about things, that I just wanted to take her to a nice dinner to wherever she wanted. Well when I told her that I was taking her out..she said "no thanks"

So, now I have to actually get her something and I am freaking out because she either a) has everything already, or b) will not use anything I buy her because she is so particular..

Any gift ideas that noone can hate!?!?

Thanks!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Any gift ideas that noone can hate!?!?

Thanks!
Nobody can not like a gift certificate, they can get whatever the #*&!@ they want!
As always, for a woman, I would get one for Victoria's Secret.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This woman is so picky and anal about things, that I just wanted to take her to a nice dinner to wherever she wanted. Well when I told her that I was taking her out..she said "no thanks"
Did she say "no thanks" because she didn't want to impose on you.....or that she hated the idea?
I would love for someone to take me out to dinner....what kind of person turns down food?

The only thing I can think of is a gift certificate to a store that she likes. If she's into books, a Chapters/Indigo certificate ect. then she gets to pick.

Is this the same one who came over to your place the other time? How about a lint roller for the next time she comes meet Trout?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

Did she say "no thanks" because she didn't want to impose on you.....or that she hated the idea?
I would love for someone to take me out to dinner....what kind of person turns down food?

The only thing I can think of is a gift certificate to a store that she likes. If she's into books, a Chapters/Indigo certificate ect. then she gets to pick.

Is this the same one who came over to your place the other time? How about a lint roller for the next time she comes meet Trout?
Yeah its the same one
I only have one inconvenient friend
She said no to dinner because she thinks I am broke and doesn't want to impose...but still, that was going to be my birthday gift to her and now I have to go and get something

Chapters is actually a good idea...

Gift Certificates are so impersonal though...might I try picking out a book??
She does love Oprah book club books...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gift certificate is great. I love em... let her pick out what she wants.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never think a gift certificate is impersonal. Mainly because you simply cannot buy things for other people even if you know them really well.

I have bought three gift certificates in the last week, two were for perfume stores and one was for a baby store.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah its the same one
I only have one inconvenient friend
She said no to dinner because she thinks I am broke and doesn't want to impose...but still, that was going to be my birthday gift to her and now I have to go and get something

Chapters is actually a good idea...

Gift Certificates are so impersonal though...might I try picking out a book??
She does love Oprah book club books...
Trust me, a person like her would much rather have a gift certificate. It's not impersonal, and they are great to have.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Nobody can not like a gift certificate, they can get whatever the #*&!@ they want!
As always, for a woman, I would get one for Victoria's Secret.
actually, i wouldn't like one for VS - they don't carry my bra size, & i don't like their panties...
i would prefer a gift cert for either a bookstore or Bath & Body Works, myself.
or maybe for Bed, Bath & Beyond - they carry a really wide range of things.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally if she is that picky, I wouldn't get her anything except maybe a birthday card wishing her a happy birthday.

I can't stand people who are picky like that and who do not have the grace to accept a gift in the spirt it was given. And I refuse to be pushed into giving them cash or gift certificates in order to appease their rudeness! IMHO those kinds of people don't deserve to get anything.

The only other thing I would even consider for someone like that is a donation to charity in their name.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
a gift certificate to kiva.org

that's what my friends get when they wont tell me what they want/are too picky.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I'll give myself away as a sentimental curmudgeon here.

I do NOT want a gift certificate. I'd rather have something much cheaper that YOU picked out, thinking of me, than an impersonal cash gift.

My wife is the same way, but everyone in my sister's family is just the opposite, so clearly it's not a universal feeling.

But I'm EASY to pick gifts for!

Maybe your friend needs a cat...

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

OK, I'll give myself away as a sentimental curmudgeon here.

I do NOT want a gift certificate. I'd rather have something much cheaper that YOU picked out, thinking of me, than an impersonal cash gift.

My wife is the same way, but everyone in my sister's family is just the opposite, so clearly it's not a universal feeling.

But I'm EASY to pick gifts for!

Maybe your friend needs a cat...
Lol that's how I am. I rather get a cheap gift than a gift card. But I rather give something useful than something that will sit in a closet till kingdom come.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I ended up getting her a gift card for Chapters..and then I also got a little package of special teas...she does like tea. At least there is a little gift bag for her with something in it as well as the gift card

For this person, you guys are right..a gift card is the best idea even though I hate giving them

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm only just seeing this now, Nat, but I think you played that one exactly right. Gift cards have their place, but you've also retained the personal touch. Good thinking.